Question for the tech-heads out there...

tBBP

I really didn't know where else to post this thread, so it's here.

Some time in the near future, I'm looking at retiring my trusty but old Mac desktop machine. It's served me very well for almost three years now and was actually a graduation gift from my school...but that thing's on its last legs and I fear anyday now that thing may very well just blow up on me. (Having it in this dusty environment over here probably ain't helping matters, either.)

Here's my question: I've got close to 500 fonts loaded onto this machine, many of those customized fonts. Is there a way to somehow pull all those off my Mac machine and save them to my backup external hard drive (with the intention of then reinstalling them on the next Mac machine I get)? If so, how do I go about doing that?

FWIW, it's a Mac G3 I've got here.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

~Buc

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Would it be as simple as dragging and dropping them from the fonts folder to the external hard-drive?

I know I got some fonts from the school computer using just a flash drive, so idk. Good luck though.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

I'm a mac user, and I am 99% sure that what LEWJ said is the way to do it. Just find your fonts folder, and drag it to the drive, then drag them all into the new computers font folder.

I've swiped many a font from school/work computers by doing exactly what LEWJ said!

Just go to your User Library and drag and drop the Fonts folder to your hard drive. If you use FontExplorer or another font management program there should be a separate font library folder somewhere in the User Library, or in the program folder itself.

You may not need to go to this extreme, but there is a sneaky but tedious way to get fonts when all other options don't seem to work. Back when I was in school, the thousands of fonts in the design labs at my college were double-secret protected from theft. They were all stored on a central hard drive that students could use in design programs, but couldn't access through Finder.

One of my classmates got around this by creating an InDesign document with every font he wanted on it and hitting File>Package to get a folder with all the fonts in the document in it. He stuck it on his thumbdrive, and BAM! fonts.

You can move the fonts from your G3 to a newer Mac, but make sure that you do not overwrite the original system folder fonts that are on the new computer. Overwriting the system fonts on the newer computer can cause certain apps to crash. I'll see if I can find the knowledge base article on the main system fonts here and I'll post back with the link to the support document.

Here are the links to the knowledge base articles, I would recommend looking at the first one because it gives details about the different font folders on Mac OS X

Mac OS X: Font Locations and Their Purposes

Mac OS X: Issues After System Fonts Removed or Relocated

Thanks for all the help, fellas.

When I get a chance, Imma have to hunt down the fonts folder on that computer. (Apparently there's another one somewhere that ain't in the systems folder--as familiar as I am with the usage of Macs, I ain't all that familiar with the admin/setup/system end of OS X like I am with Windows.)

Next question: anyone out there got a CS3 Suite they're willing to part with??? ^_^

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

When I get a chance, Imma have to hunt down the fonts folder on that computer. (Apparently there's another one somewhere that ain't in the systems folder--as familiar as I am with the usage of Macs, I ain't all that familiar with the admin/setup/system end of OS X like I am with Windows.)

Next question: anyone out there got a CS3 Suite they're willing to part with??? ^_^

Bucco,

Take a look at the first link (Mac OS X: Font Locations) I posted above, there is a table at the bottom of the support page that has all the locations of the font folders on Mac OS X.

Bucco,

Take a look at the first link (Mac OS X: Font Locations) I posted above, there is a table at the bottom of the support page that has all the locations of the font folders on Mac OS X.

The link won't open where I'm at. Neither of them will. (Blame the DoD's 'net. :mad: )

Well bummer on the DoD... really strange that they won't allow Apple website pages. Here's the copied page from the link. Hopefully, you can read this one...

Apple Support Article: Mac OS X: Font Locations and Their Purposes (HT2435)

How are fonts installed?

You may install fonts by copying or dragging font files to any of the standard Fonts folders in Mac OS X. The various Fonts folders fit into the overall Mac OS X security design such that files for use on an individual computer are segregated from those for use on a network; and, on the individual computer, system software files are segregated from those under the control of a user or Admin user. The folder in which a font is located determines who can access and use the font. For example: If a user installs a new font at ~/Library/Fonts/, the font is available only to that user. If a root or Admin user installs the same font at /Network/Library/Fonts/, all network users can use the fonts (assuming that the network administrator has set up computers for this type of sharing).

Changes to Fonts take effect when an application is opened or a user logs in to the account or computer on which the changes occurred. Duplicate fonts are resolved based on the order of precedence defined for the standard Fonts folders and are described from highest to lowest priority in Table 1.

Table 1: Font Location and Use

applefonts.jpg

Bucc, if you're still interested i have a CS4 Master Suite id part with. warning though: not cheap

CS4 just came out. Why would you sell this? ASM: before you uninstall your old software, select transfer activation from the menu and it's good as new/able to be sold.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

I'm well aware of how expensive CS4 is...which is why I asked about CS3. ^_^ (To add to that, I'm sure CS4 is a monumental volume, and I don't think any of my machines could handle all them mega(giga?)bytes at this present moment in time.) I'm still rolling with CS2 here, and I'm fine with that, but maybe it might not be such a bad idea to look at a step up in the near future.

OBTW...Avenger, I went and followed that screen capture you posted. Worked for me...thanks.

I'm well aware of how expensive CS4 is...which is why I asked about CS3. ^_^ (To add to that, I'm sure CS4 is a monumental volume, and I don't think any of my machines could handle all them mega(giga?)bytes at this present moment in time.) I'm still rolling with CS2 here, and I'm fine with that, but maybe it might not be such a bad idea to look at a step up in the near future.

OBTW...Avenger, I went and followed that screen capture you posted. Worked for me...thanks.

No problem Bucco, I'm glad it worked!

Archived