My band's album cover

CS85

I'll admit to not being the best photoshop/illustrator user at all. This took me several weeks and while I can't say I'm extremely satisfied with how it turned out, I think it's not too bad.

Feel free to critique this for being crappy, sure, but if you could also advise me on what could've made it better, I'd appreciate it.

albumartworkfinal.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Naw, I like it. Certainly better than some of the album artwork that's out there.

The only thing that confuses me is the typography. I'm not sure if the band's name is "FireSky Future" and the album title is "Local Tragedy!" or if the band's name is "FireSky," the album title is "Future" and the "Local Tragedy!" headline has no real meaning aside from being on the front page of the newspaper.

I definitely had that gripe as well. I had 4 or 5 other concepts floating around, and this is the one the guys wanted me to run with so I had to cram a lot into a little. The name of the band is FireSky Future, and the album's title is "Local Tragedy." If I had to make the name of the album bigger, there would've been almost nowhere to put the band's name, and vice versa. It's a really busy picture as well what with the bricks, newspaper, guy, and lighting stuff, so I'm hoping all to hell that when it goes to print it doesn't turn out crudded up after being pressed.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'd bring "Future" up right next to "Sky" if the so it looks like FIRESKYFUTURE, with the colors separating the words as it is now. I think it will read fine.

I'd also consider making the headline on the newspaper two lines, larger, and only having 1 article on the page. Have a bigger picture, the logo or whatever that is with the flames, and then a bunch of illegible type below it. All the subheadings make me want to read them and figure out what they say.

I'd bring "Future" up right next to "Sky" if the so it looks like FIRESKYFUTURE, with the colors separating the words as it is now. I think it will read fine.

I'd also consider making the headline on the newspaper two lines, larger, and only having 1 article on the page. Have a bigger picture, the logo or whatever that is with the flames, and then a bunch of illegible type below it. All the subheadings make me want to read them and figure out what they say.

That's what we were kind of going for. The articles and sub-headings have personal meaning to us, and we were eventually going to put up hi-res pics of what they actually say and the meaning behind them. Not sure if it'll work, but it's an interesting idea I figure.

And yeah. The headline does need to be much bigger. Damn.

twitter

That's what we were kind of going for. The articles and sub-headings have personal meaning to us, and we were eventually going to put up hi-res pics of what they actually say and the meaning behind them. Not sure if it'll work, but it's an interesting idea I figure.

I don't know how elaborate you're looking to get, but maybe the articles could be part of the insert that folds out from the cover?

I don't know how elaborate you're looking to get, but maybe the articles could be part of the insert that folds out from the cover?

Due to the expense of printing, promoting, etc, we decided to go with a basic design for the interior booklet as well back cover, disc art, etc. We had planned a lot of detail to reflect the front cover, but it's ridiculously expensive to get a good amount of CDs with that much detail. Since we're unsigned and funding this on our own, gotta cut some corners. Besides, most people buy music online anyway, and it's the stuff on the disc that counts. But if I could man, I definitely would.

twitter

I think a more efficient option would ave been to go the simple route and just type it out. Maybe have a little piece of line art. you could have printed it in one-color instead of four and really saved some cash as well as had a very professional looking product.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived