Broncos 1960 AFL Helmets

mediocreguy

Since the Broncos are introducing those "loved" brown and mustard sets this year, I went looking for a replica to put on my desk at work beside the others, but unlike the mid 60s and long-lived blue helmets, there doesn't seem to be any brown replica minis. I found one site that listed them as in stock, however there were no photos. When asked, the owner replied (in all caps, wonderfully),

HI! SORRY I DONT HAVE ANY PHOTOS [iTS AJUST A BROWN HELMET WITH WHITE #S ON EACH SIDE AND GRAY FACEMASK REAL BASIC]I SELL DOZENS OF THESE TO DENVER AUTOGRAPHS IN COLORADO WHO IS JOHN ELWAYS AGENT SO THE HELMETS ARE FINE.

Now this threw up about 800 red flags. No photo, no listing, no mention of white stripe, and most importantly, I can't find them anywhere else. However, if no official replica exists and they made one from scratch, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed, if it was of good quality. My question for this board is the following:

Does anyone know if Riddell will be making throwback sets this year to coincide with the AFL50 events? I'd save a lot of hassle by waiting until summer to get an official one. They'd be fools not to make these...

Or, have they in the past made the '60 sets and should I be considering digging harder for them? I'd like a full set for my desk at work :)

Thanks for reading, folks, and I hope you got a good laugh out of the quote.

Given the fact that they will be worn this season, I honestly don't see any reason why Riddell wouldn't make some kind of replica of it.

You mean other than that it's hideous?

Eh, the helmet isn't nearly as bad as the rest of the uniform, I think. Besides, as a obsessive completionist, I'm going to be annoyed until that slot is filled on the desk.

Given the fact that they will be worn this season, I honestly don't see any reason why Riddell wouldn't make some kind of replica of it.

You mean other than that it's hideous?

Eh, the helmet isn't nearly as bad as the rest of the uniform, I think. Besides, as a obsessive completionist, I'm going to be annoyed until that slot is filled on the desk.

I found this on the Virtual Helmet Club website. I don't know if it's a custom job or not. Join that club and you could ask.

bron6065.JPG

It's where I sit.

The photo below came from the International Helmet Collectors Club (IHCC).

broncos6061.gif

The IHCC website also has vendor links. One of the vendors has a different version for sale.

6061broncos.jpg

There are also custom helmets available.

1960dbmini.jpg

Hope this helps.

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

The photo below came from the International Helmet Collectors Club (IHCC).

broncos6061.gif

The IHCC website also has vendor links. One of the vendors has a different version for sale.

6061broncos.jpg

There are also custom helmets available.

1960dbmini.jpg

Hope this helps.

No wonder Cutler wanted a trade. :D

Classic! Once the equipment guys lay those socks out in the lockers, the whole team will be clamoring for a trade. :P

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

No wonder Cutler wanted a trade. :D

20090324__mcdaniels~p1.jpg

Guaranteed to be the picture we most remember Josh McDaniels by...

Thanks for the info on the helmets guys, I'm going to wait and see if Riddell makes one this year, the fonts on these customs are all over the place, so I'd like to get one that's right. Because we all know the licensed manufacturers ALWAYS get the details right......... <_<

Its kind of vearing off topic just a tad, but I wonder if its true that the whole Cutler thing will be a big part of McDaniels' reputation. He has worked wonders with some pretty averagely rated QBs (at least before he got his hands on them) in Cassell and Tom Brady, so whose to say that the Broncos wont find success with a Sims or Orton under center, and I wonder if in time, we won't be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Here's a nice shot of what the helmet font actually looked like:

1960_09_18_GonsoulinA.jpg

Great shot. You always dig up superb images from the good old days. About the helmet, isn't the 5 disproportionate to the 4? It looks much wider. And who's that they're playing?

That's one thing you have to give the Chargers: a consistent identity. Regardless of what changes they've made, when you see a shot from 1961, it's obvious it's the Chargers. If you could go back to 1961 and show them a pic from today, same thing.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Here's a nice shot of what the helmet font actually looked like:

1960_09_18_GonsoulinA.jpg

Great shot. You always dig up superb images from the good old days. About the helmet, isn't the 5 disproportionate to the 4? It looks much wider. And who's that they're playing?

That's one thing you have to give the Chargers: a consistent identity. Regardless of what changes they've made, when you see a shot from 1961, it's obvious it's the Chargers. If you could go back to 1961 and show them a pic from today, same thing.

That was the Bills when they were still in their Lions-influenced blue and silver phase.

1966BroncosMED.jpg64BearsBlasingamelowres-1.jpgKeyeReboundCloseJPG.jpgDUMagnuson.jpg

Archived