John Madden retiring

Waffles

Let me be the first one to say, "John Madden retiring? Doesn't bother me one bit." I could care less. I stopped watching him years ago and every time I turned a game on with him doing the game, I turned it off. His act got old. I could care less about boom, bam, and look at this fat guy! I'm not saying that NBC upgraded by going to Collinsworth, because they didn't, but I prefer a professional attitude while watching games and Madden, like Paul Maguire are two guys that are just goofballs before they are color men. There are others out there, but I've not heard anything insightful from Madden in 25 years.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Let me be the first one to say, "John Madden retiring? Doesn't bother me one bit." I could care less. I stopped watching him years ago and every time I turned a game on with him doing the game, I turned it off. His act got old. I could care less about boom, bam, and look at this fat guy! I'm not saying that NBC upgraded by going to Collinsworth, because they didn't, but I prefer a professional attitude while watching games and Madden, like Paul Maguire are two guys that are just goofballs before they are color men. There are others out there, but I've not heard anything insightful from Madden in 25 years.

You see there is where you lose me. Just go watch the last 5 minutes of this years Superbowl again. Tells the Steelers to watch for Fitzgerald down the middle, then BAM :D Fitzgerald scores down the middle, and then he makes some comment or other about Santonio Holmes being a threat in the endzone just before he makes the game winning catch. Yeah he might have an annoying (to some) style, but he could read a game like noone else. (And I mean noone). Also had a nose for the moment, for instance picking up on the cajones Brady showed on that last drive in the Patriots first Superbowl win.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Just heard on Dan Patrick's show that John Madden will be announcing his retirement today, according to Patrick and Madden's employer, NBC.

It's not going to be the same NFL next season...

At least he didn't collapse and die in the broadcast booth like Harry Kalas did.

That's cold.

So's Harry.

I can't wait to see what Frank Caliendo does for a skit on Madden's retirement

I think it's safe to say that you could possibly be alone in this. Unless you live in a frathouse.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Madden is the gold-standard for NFL analysts. I grew up with him and Summerall. To me, i will always equate John Madden with Sunday afternoons. He was not the same after being with Michaels (who i do not like as a broadcaster), but i could still enjoy any game Madden was a part of.

Here's to hoping Madden will still be a part of football somewhere...

Stay Tuned Sports Podcast
sB9ijEj.png

You see there is where you lose me. Just go watch the last 5 minutes of this years Superbowl again. Tells the Steelers to watch for Fitzgerald down the middle, then BAM :D Fitzgerald scores down the middle, and then he makes some comment or other about Santonio Holmes being a threat in the endzone just before he makes the game winning catch. Yeah he might have an annoying (to some) style, but he could read a game like noone else. (And I mean noone). Also had a nose for the moment, for instance picking up on the cajones Brady showed on that last drive in the Patriots first Superbowl win.

I don't need to see the last 5 minutes of the Super Bowl. I saw what happened and I don't need his "Explination" of what happened. I know the game and therefore what he says is not insightful. It was insightful 25 years ago when I was 12. I guess that must make me the most insightful baseball person out there since I've called I don't know how many home runs. If you're watching the game and paying attention, you can probably make the same call on what the Steelers were doing and Madden isn't needed at all. Was I watching the game? Not really, I just left it on in the background, and wasn't paying that much attention to it. I think I might've muted it because I got tired of Madden's ramblings. Oh and I think anyone who sits in the press box and has half a brain can figure out trends. Why do the guys who do the game seem to know things? Because they have someone in the ear telling them what is going on, they have a spotter pointing things out, and they can see the whole field on every play. So was Madden insightful? Maybe, but only after people pointed that out to him. I think John Madden is average and again he got old and tired to me.

I don't need to see the last 5 minutes of the Super Bowl. I saw what happened and I don't need his "Explination" of what happened. I know the game and therefore what he says is not insightful. It was insightful 25 years ago when I was 12. I guess that must make me the most insightful baseball person out there since I've called I don't know how many home runs. If you're watching the game and paying attention, you can probably make the same call on what the Steelers were doing and Madden isn't needed at all. Was I watching the game? Not really, I just left it on in the background, and wasn't paying that much attention to it. I think I might've muted it because I got tired of Madden's ramblings. Oh and I think anyone who sits in the press box and has half a brain can figure out trends. Why do the guys who do the game seem to know things? Because they have someone in the ear telling them what is going on, they have a spotter pointing things out, and they can see the whole field on every play. So was Madden insightful? Maybe, but only after people pointed that out to him. I think John Madden is average and again he got old and tired to me.

So you don't need any sports broadcasters then?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Wow. Just when I thought you couldn't sound anymore crazy. Your username is clearly the most appropriate in the history of this site...well, maybe second to Mr. "I Am A Flaming Douchebag" or whatever it was. But you're right up there. :P

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

So you don't need any sports broadcasters then?

If you say up he'll say down just to be contrary. The dude hates everything. Eventually (if he hasn't already) he'll end up arguing against something he was for. It's just a matter of time. I think Jigga said it best in the post above this one.

BB52Big.jpg

know-it-all_box.jpg

Welcome to DrunjFlix

Archived