John Madden retiring

Waffles

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pat Summerall would drink to this

He would drink to anything

Well, not anymore...lol. He's a recovering drunk now.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

John Madden is one of the best football broadcasters in NFL history. Him & Pat Summerall were the best duo doing the games, though him & Al Michaels weren't so bad. Also, don't forget about the Madden video game franchise from EA Sports. I too hope he enjoys his retirement.

John Madden is one of the best football broadcasters in NFL history. He & Pat Summerall were the best duo doing the games, though He & Al Michaels weren't so bad. Also, don't forget about the Madden video game franchise from EA Sports. I too hope he enjoys his retirement.

Fixed up your post a little bit grammatically, though I disagree with the point.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Just heard on Dan Patrick's show that John Madden will be announcing his retirement today, according to Patrick and Madden's employer, NBC.

It's not going to be the same NFL next season...

At least he didn't collapse and die in the broadcast booth like Harry Kalas did.

That's cold.

BB52Big.jpg

I loved Madden as a kid. I still liked him in recent years. I could tell he liked what he did and he was fairly amusing. It's a hard job. We tend to hate almost everyone who does it.

I'll miss him. I liked him on Fox and CBS before that, getting the big game of Sunday afternoon. I always appreciated his enthusiasm.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Just heard on Dan Patrick's show that John Madden will be announcing his retirement today, according to Patrick and Madden's employer, NBC.

At least he didn't collapse and die in the broadcast booth like Harry Kalas did.

That's cold.

TBH I always figured thats the way Madden would go out

why all the hate on collinsworth? i think he's one of the smartest analysts out there. he actually WATCHES tape and knows a lot more about each team and player compared to the cast majority of analysts.

i love this choice.

I was hoping it was Matt millen so the local NBC affiliate in Detroit can run scrolls during the telecast020409millen.jpg

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

John Madden is one of the best football broadcasters in NFL history. Him & Pat Summerall were the best duo doing the games, though him & Al Michaels weren't so bad. Also, don't forget about the Madden video game franchise from EA Sports. I too hope he enjoys his retirement.

Peter King also brought up the video game, which I don't get. In all likelihood, all Madden did for that game was record some voiceovers, pose for some pics, and get paid a ridiculous amount of money for having his name on the front of the box. What great achievement is that?

With that said, he was a great coach and announcer though annoying and repetitive at times but in fairness, that's tough to avoid in that business.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Peter King also brought up the video game, which I don't get. In all likelihood, all Madden did for that game was record some voiceovers, pose for some pics, and get paid a ridiculous amount of money for having his name on the front of the box. What great achievement is that?

With that said, he was a great coach and announcer though annoying and repetitive at times but in fairness, that's tough to avoid in that business.

I think that Madden did have some developmental role in some of the editions certainly, in terms of playbooks and the such like. But I think that he has been a great ambassador for the game of football as a whole, and I think one of the great worldwide sports broadcasters.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That's cold.

I doubt he was being "cold"... just stating a fact. Madden is 73, just like Harry. Perhaps he saw what happened to Harry, and wanted to make sure that he had time to do other things in his life, instead of passing while on the job.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That's cold.

I doubt he was being "cold"... just stating a fact. Madden is 73, just like Harry. Perhaps he saw what happened to Harry, and wanted to make sure that he had time to do other things in his life, instead of passing while on the job.

I doubt I was being as serious as you are. I was just pointing out a poorly worded post. There are better ways to say it. Harry Kalas' untimely demise deserves a better description.

BB52Big.jpg

I think that Madden did have some developmental role in some of the editions certainly, in terms of playbooks and the such like. But I think that he has been a great ambassador for the game of football as a whole, and I think one of the great worldwide sports broadcasters.

I think I've read somewhere that Madden was heavily involved in the first few...then it just went to him making suggestions here and there in the later versions.

I think I've read somewhere that Madden was heavily involved in the first few...then it just went to him making suggestions here and there in the later versions.

I have a vague recollection of a video extra on maybe Madden 99 with him saying he had helped with some of the new coaching features on that addition?? Might have been later than that though, have vague recollections of Al Michaels sat next to him when he was talking and that would have been later.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Archived