Old NFL Uni question

kinznk

I was at a get together today and a guy had a Reebok Seahawks old jersey, Jim Zorn. I've been watching these boards lately and it has got me tuned into uniform things in a different way. I understand that these jerseys are meant to sell and not be actual replicas. My questions are what year did the NFL start putting the NFL logo or the team logo on the collar. Another Seahawk question would be when did they go to having the Seahawk on their sleeves? i.e. did Zorn ever play with the Hawk on the sleeve? Thanks.

Another Seahawk question would be when did they go to having the Seahawk on their sleeves? i.e. did Zorn ever play with the Hawk on the sleeve?

The sleeve hawk was introduced in 1983.

Zorn,%20Jim--downfield.jpg

Don't know about the NFL logo, though. I think that was around 89 or 90.

IndianapolisSpeedsters.png

NFL logo was added in 1991.

NFL Equipment shield was added in 2002.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yea I was looking through a magazine or something from 2002 or 2003, it had an article about the Redskins linebackers I think it was, and there were some with the NFL Equip logo and some with the NFL shield on their jerseys. The jerseys were also different material and cuts (and the numbers were different thicknesses), it was very weird looking. I will look to see if I can find the magazine.

EDIT: Yep, September 2002 NFL preview edition of Sports Illustrated for Kids; with Lavar Arrington, Jeremiah Trotter, and Jessie Armstead. Those were the days. :P

And I just noticed how quick i'm straying off topic; carry on.

| BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

Just for clarification, I think replicas went without the shield on the neck before the switch to the new patch. I always remembered that being one of the 'things' that authentics had over replicas. It bothered me that my orange Elway replica didn't have that shield. It's also possible that because there were many different manufacturers making jerseys (I remember Champion, Starter, Nike, Puma and Adidas at some point), that some may or may not have had them.

The newer Reebok throwback replicas have the old-style shield on them now, though.

Just for clarification, I think replicas went without the shield on the neck before the switch to the new patch. I always remembered that being one of the 'things' that authentics had over replicas. It bothered me that my orange Elway replica didn't have that shield. It's also possible that because there were many different manufacturers making jerseys (I remember Champion, Starter, Nike, Puma and Adidas at some point), that some may or may not have had them.

The newer Reebok throwback replicas have the old-style shield on them now, though.

Back in '91 (and for a while thereafter), the only jerseys that had the NFL shield were the ones marketed as "PRO LINE", since they were supposedly the "authentic" jerseys (though if you ordered directly from the PRO LINE catalog, you got your jersey with a ridiculously inaccurate font as opposed to getting a blank that was lettered up locally.)

Some of the replica companies tried putting the conference logos there, but must just went without. It still wasn't a big deal back then.

As for when the replicas adopted the shield, I'd have to assume when RBK took over the contaract.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Back in '91 (and for a while thereafter), the only jerseys that had the NFL shield were the ones marketed as "PRO LINE", since they were supposedly the "authentic" jerseys (though if you ordered directly from the PRO LINE catalog, you got your jersey with a ridiculously inaccurate font as opposed to getting a blank that was lettered up locally.)

Some of the replica companies tried putting the conference logos there, but must just went without. It still wasn't a big deal back then.

As for when the replicas adopted the shield, I'd have to assume when RBK took over the contaract.

Correct. Only authentics from 1991 onward came with the shield. The replicas came with the "NFL Equipment" shield starting in 2002, coinciding with Reebok's contract and the switch to the "NFL Equipment" shield. Replicas from 1991-2002 were without the shield, unless it was added after purchase, as some have been known to have.

To further clarify things for the OP, Zorn would have played in a Seahawks jersey with the seahawk logo on the sleeve for two seasons (1983-1984), but no NFL shield.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

Archived