Getting baseball jersey autographed

zooropean

Hey everyone,

For my wedding we are having an authentic Twins white home jersey as our "guestbook" for people to sign.

Would anyone be able to recommend the best writing pen/marker to use? Please be as specific as possible.

Didn't want to just assume a Sharpie.

Thank you!

A pinstriped jersey with all of those signatures written in sharpies? It's going to be very difficult to really tell who signed where on it, if you can read any of them at all. I can't help but think that this isn't the best idea.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I guess a sharpie would work. I do like the idea, especially if you get everyone to sign between the pinstripes and not across them, it would give you a really cool look. I have to say it's unique.

Hey everyone,

For my wedding we are having an authentic Twins white home jersey as our "guestbook" for people to sign.

Would anyone be able to recommend the best writing pen/marker to use? Please be as specific as possible.

Thank you!

Geez, why is everyone picking on the idea instead of answering the question? Dude, it's your wedding, and if your betrothed likes this idea, go for it and don't listen to the naysayers.

As to your question, I'd be wary of Sharpies. Athletes practice signing their names quickly and big, which you'd have to do with a Sharpie. Ordinary people will tend to sign their names as if they were signing a check or something, and so it'll be too small and the size of the Sharpie plus the slight bleed in the fabric will make most signatures illegible. Signing the numbers is one solution; the ink will bleed less there.

However, you might also want to consider stopping by your local fabric or crafts store and asking about fabric pens. They do make pens specifically designed for marking fabric. (Plus, if you have kids later on, you'll want some fabric pens to put their names in their underpants when they go to camp, because it's the job of every good parent to humiliate their kids by sending them to camp in ink-monogramed whitey tighties.) A fabric pen should bleed a little less and also stand up better over time. Less fading, and if you ever need to dry clean or spot wash the jersey, the fabric pen should hold up better.

20082614447.png

A fabric pen is an excellent idea. If those aren't available, how about a fine point Sharpie? That's more like what people are used to writing with, but I don't know if it'll bleed.

http://www.sharpie.com/enUS/Product/Sharpi...ent_Marker.html

And for the record, my sons will never be forced to wear tighty whities. That's one of those "when I'm a parent" vows I made as a child that I'm actually following through on. :D

Hey everyone,

Thank you!

Geez, why is everyone picking on the idea instead of answering the question? Dude, it's your wedding, and if your betrothed likes this idea, go for it and don't listen to the naysayers.

As to your question, I'd be wary of Sharpies. Athletes practice signing their names quickly and big, which you'd have to do with a Sharpie. Ordinary people will tend to sign their names as if they were signing a check or something, and so it'll be too small and the size of the Sharpie plus the slight bleed in the fabric will make most signatures illegible. Signing the numbers is one solution; the ink will bleed less there.

However, you might also want to consider stopping by your local fabric or crafts store and asking about fabric pens. They do make pens specifically designed for marking fabric. (Plus, if you have kids later on, you'll want some fabric pens to put their names in their underpants when they go to camp, because it's the job of every good parent to humiliate their kids by sending them to camp in ink-monogramed whitey tighties.) A fabric pen should bleed a little less and also stand up better over time. Less fading, and if you ever need to dry clean or spot wash the jersey, the fabric pen should hold up better.

I admit I was surprised by some of the negativity toward the idea. White Sox fans? :)

We did think about going with the 1982 retro (which I do have, but it's customize) but decided to go with the usual home white jersey. Since the 1982 jersey is for 1 year only I didn't want to go with that.

This was actually my fiancee's idea to use a jersey. Also her idea to see the Twins in Oakland on the honeymoon.

Thanks for the fabric pen idea. I will definitely check it out.

Archived