St. Louis Rams SOLD (pending NFL approval)

STL FANATIC

I was just going by face, yeah.

Anyway, I guess he makes valid points about the core of Rams fans sticking with the team through the bad times, but he concedes that all the sellouts this year have been achieved on the backs of travelling fans from nearby Midwestern teams with larger fanbases, and to me that's indicative of instability.

But that's nothing to be ashamed of. It happens in other NFL cities.

Yes, every team has road team fans, but how many teams rely on them to televise their games? That's the problem. Yeah, they still have the core, but so did the L.A. Rams.

I think the comfort level of that situation is that we're talking about a historically bad football team right now. We didn't rely on those visiting fans when the team was competitive (and I don't just mean the dominant years of 1999-2001). I think it's operating under the assumption that this team won't consistently be this bad.

Most cities would struggle in some ways to sellout with a team like this. The Lions had a blackout (or more?) last year. Fans aren't going to pay for football this bad in all but very few (or maybe all in general) places over the long-run. So the idea is to avoid playing football at historically bad levels for many consecutive years, and they should be fine.

They had "novelty" working for them during the Tony Banks era. That explains why they were able to avoid a blackout until 2006. That and charitable companies buying up large swaths of tickets at the last minute and comping them out to people.

I know I've said this before. Last year I met a life-long St. Louisan. They said I was the first honest-to-God Rams fan they had met in their life. That, ladies and gentlemen, is not good.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

--BUMP--

Rams' Ownership Weighing 3 Offers

I've just glanced over the article, but it says that the group headed by Dave Checketts is one of those 3, while the other two haven't been released. My guesses on those two (provided that they are honest in keeping the team in St. Louis and no rules are being exempt, leaving out Kroenke [sp?]) are the Busch family and Ed DeBartalo, who has said that he doesn't plan on taking the team to Los Angeles. Thoughts?

You also forgot option D, which is the Rosenblooms decide to maintain the 60 year family tradition of NFL ownership. I'd almost feel sympathetic to this notion, if the last 20-30 years (minus the anomalous 3 year span of 1999-2001) of their stewardship had not been characterized by catastrophic mismanagement on an arguably unprecedented scale. <_<

------------------------------------------

Kroenke's the real wild card in all of these proceedings IMO. Just as there is a (slim IMO) chance he tries to buy the team wholesale, there is a (much greater) chance he sells his 40% stake in order to get some quick cash to help secure a takeover of Arsenal, which would be a much more prestigous addition to his sports empire. Of course, if Kroenke does put up his stake for sale, it would likely harpoon the Checketts bid.

I wouldn't rule out LA either. The language of the lease may say 2014, but if there isn't any real movement towards a new stadium in a year or two, I could easily see a negotiated buyout of the lease coming into play.

I doubt the Buschs are involved; indeed I would be more inclined to suspect Texas billionaire and SMU athletic department sugar daddy Gerald J. Ford as one of the top bidders. (Yes...the sugar daddy of a football program that just ended a 25 year Bowl drought this season allegedly wants to buy the Rams. THIS....IS.....DESTINY!)

Ed DeBartalo buying the Rams would probably rip a hole in the fabric of space-time. And cause the Southern Cal Ram remnant to die of a collective aneurysm. But he would also try to field a winner, so I guess its ok.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

People in St. Lou are going to flip if one of those ownership groups ends up being Roski and his buddies. That said, it probably won't be happening, but stranger things have happened.

You mean the same people who don't support the franchise in the first place?

If people actually attended Rams games in St. Louis, perhaps none of this relocation talk would even be happening.

People attended Rams games in Los Angeles and the team moved because the stadium sucked.

Another big reason was Georgia mismanaged the franchise and wanted a football team in her hometown.

But Roski's LA Stadium was approved and the last remaining legal challenges were cleared, so really, a football franchise in LA is pretty much just a matter of time at this point. Of course, if I had my way, the Rams would move back to SoCal, but it seems more and more likely the Jags might end up coming out west.

People in St. Lou are going to flip if one of those ownership groups ends up being Roski and his buddies. That said, it probably won't be happening, but stranger things have happened.

If people actually attended Rams games in St. Louis, perhaps none of this relocation talk would even be happening.

lol.

This is the only year the franchise has ever really struggled with attendance, or at least sales, in St. Louis. And oh yeah, they only won one game (and two the year before that, and three the year before that). Sustained failure won't be supported well in many places. If they can be even mediocre, St. Louis will be there. Regardless, attendance has nothing to do with this one.

The single reason the Rams are being mentioned as a possibility is stadium. It's not great, it's not likely to be massively renovated or replaced in the next 5 years, and there's an easily exercised out in their lease.

I think the talk would also be less (but would definitely still exist) if the Rams hadn't had a long stint in LA previously.

lol.

This is the only year the franchise has ever really struggled with attendance, or at least sales, in St. Louis. And oh yeah, they only won one game (and two the year before that, and three the year before that). Sustained failure won't be supported well in many places. If they can be even mediocre, St. Louis will be there. Regardless, attendance has nothing to do with this one.

Minor point of order: Rams games were blacked out in 2007 and 2008 as well, other games escaped that fate through the intervention of St. Louis businesses buying up tickets in large quantities and comping them, and there are also multiple instances of the EJD being taken over by thousands upon thousands of visiting fans.

Attendance isn't a primary factor for the potential move, but it's been a problem for a while.

Today, we are all otaku.

Gee Maybe they should have let Rush in.

You're out of your element Frank.

Today, we are all otaku.

A game or two in those years were blacked out, but they didn't have what I'd describe as major struggles until this season. But maybe that's semantics.

Two blackouts out of eight home games is significant. I think any period of blackouts in successive years indicates a fairly major attendance struggle.

Three blackouts this year, two blackouts the year before that, how many in 2007? Now we're pre-dating the market crash and resultant financial woes. No matter how you slice it, it's a bad track record.

That's not even posteriors in seats, but tickets allocated. If St. Louis does want to keep its team, the business community needs to step up and buy tickets when the fans won't.

A game or two in those years were blacked out, but they didn't have what I'd describe as major struggles until this season. But maybe that's semantics.

Two blackouts out of eight home games is significant. I think any period of blackouts in successive years indicates a fairly major attendance struggle.

Three blackouts this year, two blackouts the year before that, how many in 2007? Now we're pre-dating the market crash and resultant financial woes. No matter how you slice it, it's a bad track record.

That's not even posteriors in seats, but tickets allocated. If St. Louis does want to keep its team, the business community needs to step up and buy tickets when the fans won't.

1 or 2.EDIT or 3.

They were also blacked out against Washington in 2006.

Today, we are all otaku.

Okay, well maybe I stand corrected. Whatever the case, I don't think anybody involved considers attendance a real issue in St. Louis. A decently competitive team will sellout every game. A marginally competitive will sell enough to have someone step up and make sure the games are sold out.

They haven't been any of those things for 3-4 years now.

Archived