St. Louis Rams SOLD (pending NFL approval)

STL FANATIC

You don't think anybody involved is concerned about the team's pathetic attendance, even in relatively strong economic times? I'm afraid I think you're dreaming.

St. Louis owes the Rams a new stadium in just a few short years. What politician is going to spend the better part of a billion dollars on a team if the city's fans have stopped going to the games? It's hard enough to get a new stadium for a team like the Packers or Bears, which are woven into the very social fabric of their towns. But a team that's being dropped by the fans? Nearly impossible.

• Replies 314
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Attendance is not an issue. I stand by that, and it's not me being all rosy about it either. If the team puts even a mediocre product out there, fans will be there.

You're point is close to right on the stadium. I've said all along the Rams need to be competitive by the team the new stadium talk rolls around to increase their chances of it. They'd increase their chances because they'd increase their favor with fans

Look, 90% of major sports franchises know that if they don't offer a product capable of winning 25% of their games, they won't draw fans. When that happens, it doesn't make attendance an issue.

Is fan support relevant to the issue of the stadium? Certainly. But is it the root of the problem? No. Will it be the cause of a move? No.

The root of the problem is a completely uncompetitive product. The cause of a move would be the opt-out in a lease and the possibility of moving to a much newer stadium and a much larger market.

I know it's fun to challenge me on issues pertaining to St. Louis sports and see how silly and irrational you can get me to be, but I firmly believe you're wrong here. Attendance is absolutely not considered a major issue in the sale of the franchise. Everyone involves knows the easy cure for attendance, and they know it doesn't even have to be a cure, it just has to be an effort.

Attendance is not an issue. I stand by that, and it's not me being all rosy about it either. If the team puts even a mediocre product out there, fans will be there.

You're point is close to right on the stadium. I've said all along the Rams need to be competitive by the team the new stadium talk rolls around to increase their chances of it. They'd increase their chances because they'd increase their favor with fans

Look, 90% of major sports franchises know that if they don't offer a product capable of winning 25% of their games, they won't draw fans. When that happens, it doesn't make attendance an issue.

Is fan support relevant to the issue of the stadium? Certainly. But is it the root of the problem? No. Will it be the cause of a move? No.

The root of the problem is a completely uncompetitive product. The cause of a move would be the opt-out in a lease and the possibility of moving to a much newer stadium and a much larger market.

I know it's fun to challenge me on issues pertaining to St. Louis sports and see how silly and irrational you can get me to be, but I firmly believe you're wrong here. Attendance is absolutely not considered a major issue in the sale of the franchise. Everyone involves knows the easy cure for attendance, and they know it doesn't even have to be a cure, it just has to be an effort.

Signing Albert Pujols as fullback?

The Rams have had iffy support prior to completely cratering in the late 2000s. They may not have been blacked out, but they were helped by their proximity to many other NFL fanbases, the charitable contributions of corporations that...well...still saw some cachet value in taking clients to Rams games, and St. Louisans who needed something to do before the Cardinals game that night.

Fan support is one of the roots. If it had ever visibly and truly existed beyond 2003 when both the uber wins stopped and the novelty wore off. we wouldn't be trotting this franchise out as a likely move candidate.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...

If they are renamed the Argonauts, I will never forgive the owners.

Of course it is Bernie, so he could very well be making stuff up about the non-Checketts bidders.

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Toronto : NFL :: Winnipeg : NHL

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Those two sentences have like nothing to do with each other! "Jim Balsillie should buy the Lightning. Depeche Mode released Violator in 1990."

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd much, much rather see the Rams stay in St. Louis than to see them go to Toronto. If any team moves to Toronto, it should be the Bills (though I don't want to see that happen, either). However, a return to Los Angeles would be preferrable.

According to Milkasz, the other two groups pursuing the Rams seem to be from Toronto and Chicago.

If the Rams move to Toronto, St. Louis may get back in the fold quickly, as that would leave the Chargers, Jaguars, and Bills as teams who's departure would seem imminent. And there's only room for two in LA.

(Round about way of saying that if a team that's not the Bills goes to Toronto, it likely means the end of the Buffalo Bills. Of course there's a couple of options outside of a return to St. Louis that could be tried if the NFL wanted.)

As for the recent reports by Miklasz, it sure sounds like Dave Checketts bid is for real. My doubt was whether he would really be able to find a legitimate investor for the 30% controlling share. Well Gerald J. Ford is legit. So that's HUGE news. Now they need Kroenke to stay on.

Even then it's still only 1/3, but it's something positive. Here's hoping Checketts gets the team. He's loved in St. Louis for how he's handled the Blues. He's loved in St. Louis for how he's tried to push other developments in the city. He's loved in St. Louis for TRYING to save the Rams. If the man pulls it off... give him the keys. Like the actual keys.

If the Rams move to Toronto, St. Louis may get back in the fold quickly, as that would leave the Chargers, Jaguars, and Bills as teams who's departure would seem imminent. And there's only room for two in LA.

(Round about way of saying that if a team that's not the Bills goes to Toronto, it likely means the end of the Buffalo Bills. Of course there's a couple of options outside of a return to St. Louis that could be tried if the NFL wanted.)

As for the recent reports by Miklasz, it sure sounds like Dave Checketts bid is for real. My doubt was whether he would really be able to find a legitimate investor for the 30% controlling share. Well Gerald J. Ford is legit. So that's HUGE news. Now they need Kroenke to stay on.

Even then it's still only 1/3, but it's something positive. Here's hoping Checketts gets the team. He's loved in St. Louis for how he's handled the Blues. He's loved in St. Louis for how he's tried to push other developments in the city. He's loved in St. Louis for TRYING to save the Rams. If the man pulls it off... give him the keys. Like the actual keys.

Like I said before, Checketts is about as loyal to a given team's city as you can get. He started up Real Salt Lake on the condition that he got a soccer-specific stadium, and when it looked like that wouldn't work, the team seemed destined for St. Louis, but only as a last resort. I don't have any reason to doubt the man would pull up stakes unless it was an absolute last resort.

Now, the question is: What will Kroenke do? Will he join Checketts and Co., or will he keep going after Arsenal?

And yet, that article does nothing to assuage my primary concern: Namely that a Checketts-owned Rams franchise would be severely cash-strapped and limited in what it could do. Even if the payroll was reasonably high, I am concern that money would be taken out of marketing, player development, facilities, taking the :censored: ing astroturf that they aren't using off of the :censored: ing rollers (Yes, this has actually happened in St. Louis, Goddamn the Rosenblooms and their parsimony.)

EDIT-Arsenal's worth something like $1.2 billion. While Kroenke can afford it, he may still want the quick cash to make the deal.

Today, we are all otaku.

Certainly he might. He just doesn't have to, that's all.

And I'm not so sure I share your concern. I ONCE did. But Gerald J. Ford is no schmuck. Nor is Kroenke. If Checketts gets it, 70% of the franchise will be owned by a couple of the nations wealthiest (not top ten or anything, but like 300 or something). Unless those are just token ownership chunks (hard to say with Kroenke anymore, but sounds like Ford wants in, just not full time), I think you'll see them able to spend at a competitive level.

Just because he wants to own part of the team doesn't indicate he wants to spend more. I mean, Kroenke's pretty much been an absentee landlord already, what's stopping Ford from doing likewise?

Alternatively, I'd feel better if my legit guy had chosen to be the sugar daddy of a college football program that had been to more than 1 bowl game in the last 20 years.

Today, we are all otaku.

Fair enough. And he certainly might not want to spend a ton. But he wouldn't be in the same position as Kroenke, as he'd still be the controlling partner. He'd make Checketts the CEO or whatever, but he wouldn't be able to sit back quite the same way Kroenke has. But you're right, he could close the wallet.

Do we have any timescale on how long this sale could take?

And, apparently, while Roski's group has said that they will start talking to teams after the Super Bowl, they've started talking to teams now.

Do we have any timescale on how long this sale could take?

And, apparently, while Roski's group has said that they will start talking to teams after the Super Bowl, they've started talking to teams now.

That article is one rousing game of Count The Lies.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

As with most of the recent reports, information is sparse, but if true, some more big news out of St. Louis.

The Globe-Democrat reports that the leader of one of the non-Checketts groups is St. Louis businessman Dr. Richard Chaifetz. This would evidently be the Chicago group that is interested in 100% ownership of the team. Because they still say it's based in Chicago and don't know his percentage of involvement, I'm not sure how much can be drawn from it. But for some reason they do call him the "leader".

It's likely a positive development for St. Louis.

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/feb/03/dr-richard-chaifetz-leader-group-trying-buy-rams/

Archived