New Saskatchewan Licence Plates

NickNickNick

Made from non-toxic, non-corrossive material, with a new font which, "makes it easier for law enforcement to detect characters."

The S and 5 looked similar. The 4 is the biggest change.

The old plates were made of steel, the new ones aluminum.

PlateComparisonAF_cutline.jpg

I would think the pattern of ABC-123 would be enough to tell the characters apart? That's how car license plates in Washington are. That or 123-ABC so there is no way to confuse letters with numbers.

I would think the pattern of ABC-123 would be enough to tell the characters apart? That's how car license plates in Washington are. That or 123-ABC so there is no way to confuse letters with numbers.

I think most states do (or try to do) that. Michigan has switched to the ABCD-123 system with their new license plates.

Easier to tell apart... except that you've made the 4 look more like a 9.

The new one is on top.

Oops. I failed the "reading for comprehension" portion of the program.

So, they've actually fixed that. But the 5 looks more like the S in the new one than in the old one.

That'll work until they have to switch when they run out of plates (we went from ABC-123 to 123-ABC to ABCD-123 quite quickly)... or of course if someone has a personalized plate.

That'll work until they have to switch when they run out of plates (we went from ABC-123 to 123-ABC to ABCD-123 quite quickly)... or of course if someone has a personalized plate.

I don't think we'll have that problem with the population of licenced cars in Saskatchewan. We've been doing the ABC-123 thing now since I was born, along with the 123-ABC thing more recently...I believe they've just moved back to letters first within the last couple of years. Once a plate is taken out of circulation, it can be reinstated after a period of time, too - the only exception, which makes no sense to me, is the personalized plate, which you cannot even move to a different car if you were to get a new one.

Archived