Florida cuts sportswear ties with Russell Athletic.

Swampee

St. Petersburg Times

UF cuts sportswear ties with Russell

By Richard Danielson, Times Staff Writer

Published Thursday, June 4, 2009

The University of Florida, whose blue-and-orange alligator is one of the most potent brands in college sports, has quietly cut its ties to sportswear maker Russell Athletic.

The decision marks an abrupt reversal. It also puts the Gators among an estimated 50-plus colleges and universities that have recently revoked Russell's license to stitch their logos on its T-shirts.

Gator athletics spokesman Steve McClain confirmed the decision to dump Russell. But university officials, including UF president Bernard Machen, would not discuss why the university changed direction.

The University of South Florida and Florida State University both still have licensing agreements with Russell.

Workers' rights groups contend that in the fall Russell retaliated against workers in Honduras who joined a union by closing their factory. It was the company's only factory anywhere with a union. Russell denies it.

The University of Florida is the No. 2-selling brand in college sports, according to the Collegiate Licensing Co. Only the University of Texas in Austin sells more gear.

"There's no question that when a university as prominent as the University of Florida, with as large a licensing program as the University of Florida, makes a decision like this, it's going to have an impact on how the situation is perceived," said Scott Nova, executive director of the nonprofit Workers Rights Consortium.

The consortium consists of 187 universities nationwide, but not UF. It monitors working conditions at factories where university merchandise is made and tells its members when their fair-labor policies are violated.

Russell has conceded that managers at its Jerzees de Honduras factory made mistakes that interfered with workers' rights to join a union. But it says it closed the factory in October solely because of falling demand for its clothing.

Russell spokeswoman Catherine Gammon said Thursday that the University of Florida has not told the company why the license was revoked.

But she said the company did not close the factory because of the union and is committed to completing a 19-point plan to improve its labor relations.

"We're looking forward ? to completing this remediation plan not only to rebuild this business that has been damaged, but also to be a leader in social responsibility," Gammon said.

The University of Florida's termination with Russell took effect April 17. That's less than two weeks after the St. Petersburg Times reported that the private University of Miami was the first institution in the country to revoke Russell's license, while Florida's major public universities were staying with the company.

On its Web site, Russell had touted UF as one of the universities retaining the company.

For Russell, a subsidiary of the Berkshire Hathaway conglomerate led by billionaire Warren Buffett, millions of dollars are at stake. In 2006, Russell said its licenses with about 380 universities were assets worth nearly $16.5 million.

A spokeswoman for USF said this week that the university could revisit their decision after getting a report from the nonprofit Fair Labor Association later this month about Russell's progress on improving its relationships with workers.

The association is sending an independent investigator to Honduras to see whether Russell is taking steps it has promised to improve its relations with workers, USF spokeswoman Vickie Chachere said. The university will look closely at that report.

"There needs to be some evidence that progress is being made," she said.

Richard Danielson can be reached at Danielson@sptimes.com or (813) 269-5311.

The baseball thing is disappointing, if only because baseball uniforms are just about the only thing left that you still see Russell doing well anymore. I hardly ever see Russell apparel in any major stores anymore. The only place I've seen anything made by Russell recently is in Pawtucket, RI. They still have a contract with the PawSox apparently (Or maybe it's the entire IL).

That's because you have no idea what you're talking about.

In other news, it's always a shame to see a longstanding brand die out.

Right... :rolleyes:

In comparison to the adidas and rbk uni i'd rather see the swoosh at UF... as for other sports i'd rather see the swoosh over pretty much any ugly adi stripe monstrosity.

^Lol, well played. Florida already has been nike-fied in basketball as they were one of the first SOD. And I know for a fact that they wear nike for football (if they would make the stripes the same width they would be looking perfect). But, I mean, I don't really think this is big news as they were pretty much all nike to begin with.

I bet it's all the same stuff out of the same 3rd world country factories where workers have no rights getting 5 cents a day and every hour they just change which company logo they slap on the sweater.

In comparison to the adidas and rbk uni i'd rather see the swoosh at UF... as for other sports i'd rather see the swoosh over pretty much any ugly adi stripe monstrosity.

The article talks about licensing merchandise with Russell Athletic...and all you want to talk about is Nike, Reebok, and Adidas.

I think Chuckymack was on point.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I would rather the Swoosh than Adidas or Reebok.

Agreed. While they have certainly had some misfires, I generally prefer Nike's modern designs to those from Adidas, Reebok, and UnderArmour. They also get points from me for being less intrusive with the logo creep than the other brands, especially Adidas.

The article talks about licensing merchandise with Russell Athletic...and all you want to talk about is Nike, Reebok, and Adidas.

I think Chuckymack was on point.

Ok, I defer I must now agree with you WSU151 and Chuckymack. There was me reading and responding to the title of the entire thread Florida cuts sportswear ties with Russell Athletic., Hopefully, they are not switching to The Swoosh.. I will take note, i will not comment on anything in a thread or give opinion, I shall instead make stupid remarks, that way I can seem to know what i'm talking about. I like both your styles!

Ok lets try it:

elliott - why are you talking about any of the UF teams and their nike branded wear? this is a thread about Russell Athletics Merchandising problems, not what the alternative might be, or to point out that they actually licensed very little to start with and had very little on field presence, you know nothing.

oddball- as if they make sportswear in 3rd world countries, they don't have electricity do they?! geez you know nothing!

pepman - on behalf of Chuckymack "you know nothing"

afarough - don't voice your opinion, or mention nike, this thread has nothing to do with them!

jamikel - why are you making valid points and daring to mention another brand and use terms such as brand creep? you're trying too hard, you must know nothing.

thanks for showing me how to contribute guys, i think the posts above offer a lot more to the board than stupid opinons and responding to thread titles.

[/sarcasm off]

Archived