Something Kinda.. Gross

Joshawaggie

Well as some of you may know I work in Produce, don't know if any of you have, CC has right? Well, anyways, i was fillin bananas today, and lo and behold, there is a black widow.. dead.. but it still scared the hell out of me. Even the customer standin next to me has heard of this.. and even tarantulas are common to get in there. I even just read an article about some grapes with a black widow in them, from california. Now every little thing that is in the banana box creeps me out. :wacko:

Anyone else ever experience this? I hope I never do again.. eeech.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

I found a live tropical spider in the bananas once, i took it home and kept it in a jar outside, it died 2 days later

Did you feed the spider anything? I'm surprised it lasted in a jar two days.

I saw, I came, I left.

Bananas don't get refridgerated, they sit at room temperature

True, but a lot of other produce does get refrigerated.

Bananas are actually shipped green so they'll keep longer, and are gassed prior to delivery to induce ripening. Not sure if that affects insect though.

facebook.png twitter.pngblogger.pngflickr-1.jpg

ah so someone had a run in with Latrodectus hesperus?

fairly common here in California. however a box of fruit is one of the least likely places they would be. not to say they wont go there though. they prefer the cool, sheltered enviroment of say, woodpiles, junker cars, sheds, that inconspicuous corner in your garage that always seem to collect dirt, dead insects, and spider webs no matter how good you clean.

obviously the black widow spider is identified mainly by the large females, which are naturally glossy black with the signature reddish colored hourglass shape on the underbelly of its abdomen. the "widow" part of the name comes from the females cannibalisitc habits, in which immediately after mating, she devours the much smaller male.

black widow spiders are fairly non aggressive but will bite if aggravated. thier venom is fairly lethal and can cause pain for a few days as well as some itching and swelling. These reactions vary from person to person though, as some people may have an allergic reaction to spider bites or any other insect sting

control of the black widow spider can be obtained by keeping clutter away from your house, and knocking down any webs you may see, as the web is the spiders primary method for catching its food. treating outdoors with a pyrethrin or carbaryl based insectiside will somewhat control the spiders themselves, but will also deplete its food source significantly

hope this helps :D

I found a live tropical spider in the bananas once, i took it home and kept it in a jar outside, it died 2 days later

You should of fed it bananas. :D

realclearpolitics.com

"Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire."

- Robert A. Heinlein

Interesting fact: Ladybugs can be refrigerated without harming them.

We ordered some over the internet (they sell them for fishermen, mainly) for a movie I was in and the instructions said to keep them refrigerated. Sure enough, they thaw out and start running around like crazy...

"Knowing is half the battle."

The LadyBird Beetle, of the genus Coccinellidae. There are over 5000 species of ladybird beetle found throughout the world, with 400 of them in North America alone

Ladybird beetles are harmless, beneficial insects. They are carnivores and prey primarily on aphids, which of course can destroy desireable plants, namely rosebushes.

Bags of ladybird beetles can be purchased as nurseries for release into your garden. They are kept in a fine mesh bag filled with rice hulls and a raisin placed in the bag serves as thier food until they are released.

Ladybird beetles are harmless, beneficial insects. They are carnivores and prey primarily on aphids, which of course can destroy desireable plants, namely rosebushes.

Unlike those damn Asian Ladybugs that look almost like regular ladybugs, but they bite, and they suck, not literlally i just hate them. They are startin to become more populated over here...anyone else seen those around?

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Archived