Album Design For My Friend's Album/EP

joshhockey

The other day a buddy of mine who is currently in a band, told me about a solo side-project of his and he told me he was planning on releasing some material sometime in the future. I offered to make him a mock-up for an album cover and he said it'd be great. So, this is what I made for him. C&C please and thank you.

POLAROIDSOFDINOSAURS3.png

g4104.png

Love everything except "Self Titled"...unless ofcourse the album name isn't decided upon yet....

But if it is a self titled debut album, I wouldn't actually put "self titled" and would just leave it as space to tie in the theme. I'd also suggest somehow carrying over the "cardboard" theme shown on the front to the rear somehow. Also, lose the "squiggles" on the spine, it's an opportunity to include the dinosaur figurines from the front....

Otherwise, great work!

Work more with the composition. Add a few more pictures and stack or fan them...the band's name is "Polaroids" (plural). Reduce the size of the band's name and album title.

For the back, I'd look for a picture of a Polaroid camera, or extend the photos from the front across the spine onto the back to tie them in together, then reduce the size of the song list.

For some really cool album designs, check out P.R. Brown at Bauda Design. The site itself is being redesigned, but on http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bau-da there is a list of some recent albums he designed.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Just because the name you're working with is 'Polaroids of Dinosaurs' doesn't mean you are tied to using polaroids, dinosaurs, one, the other or both as your design elements. Seems very literal to me, like the easiest way out.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Is there a reason why the design has the front and back on the wrong sides of the spine?

I think the style of the text works well but I'm with Andrew; you don't have to be quite so literal. I do like the plastic dinosaurs though.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

The other day a buddy of mine who is currently in a band, told me about a solo side-project of his and he told me he was planning on releasing some material sometime in the future. I offered to make him a mock-up for an album cover and he said it'd be great. So, this is what I made for him. C&C please and thank you.

POLAROIDSOFDINOSAURS3.png

Besides the fact it's flipped, as it was previously mentioned, I think the font size for the back is far too large given you don't know titles of the songs. Plus, given that look, I think you'd be better off with a punch label look (http://www.urbanfonts.com/fonts/Punch_Label.htm) for the font anyways.

Here's an update. Everything is pretty much self-explanatory. I fixed the sides being flipped. I guess that just slipped my mind. Anyways, C&C please.

POLAROIDSOFDINOSAURS4.png

I would vary the angles that each label would be at, instead of just a straight line.

Here's an update. Everything is pretty much self-explanatory. I fixed the sides being flipped. I guess that just slipped my mind. Anyways, C&C please.

POLAROIDSOFDINOSAURS4.png

I'd also flip the images on the spine, so in an acutal jewel case lying flat, the dinosaurs wouldn't be upside-down.

believew.jpg

Is this going to be printed on a digipak? Or a standard jewel case?

Either way, the spine is likely too thick, which would affect the feasibility of the photographic border (which I must say I like).

If you're designing for a jewel case, remember the back is *not* square. It also has two spines (one on the hinge side and one on the reverse side). These days, the inside of the jewel case is typically clear plastic too, so that's another spread you'll need to design (the reverse of the back insert).

If you're working against a digipak (or similar) packaging layout, you will be able to get the templates for it here: http://www.duplication.ca/printspecs/digipack.htm

If you're working against a standard jewel case, you can either measure the inserts for any other CD you might have, or get the templates from http://www.theadsgroupdifference.com/templates/cd-jewel.htm

It's very helpful when doing work like this to work with actual templates so you don't make false assumptions. I sometimes find it easiest to start from a photo of existing packaging and then design over the top of it to get relative scales right.

I also strongly agree with williamrhys' suggestion of doing this all real-world. Even if you take the photo against a flat-coloured background, you'll get natural variations in lighting and texture that will fill that whitespace around the polaroids harmoniously without ruining your aesthetic.

Dragons.gifPreds.gifTitans.gifSonics.gif

Crests.gif

Archived