Waco Marshals New Logo

Lee.

JQK, I never said stealing was bad but if WWU allowed then I would say it's fine. I had no idea the lawyers were already planning on getting involved. I also raised the question about infringment. I wasn't aware of the guidelines and how much of the logo had to be similar to the original to be classified as infringment. There's been many cases where logo resemble eachother but not to the point where they could make a good case. In this case I wasn't sure if they had enough to call this infringment. I didn't know the guidelines, so sue me.

It's also nice to see that you can post at least one message without cussing.

Edit: That's fine if you don't look out for me. If you had a logo I would still look out for you, even if we have a lot of disagreements.

Yes, #600!

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When design elements of two logos are exact, and the originator of the first logo does not give permission for a logo that uses design elements of their logo, that's stealing. It's plagerisim, and i would be disappointed if no one reported this. Plagerisim is one of the worst things in the world, and to sit by and say "well, who would care?", is allowing theivery and, what is in my mind, one of the worst crimes to commit to an artist.

But that's ok bs. When someone decides to hijack your logo, i'll make sure i don't tell a soul.

Virtual high-five to you, ace.

Speaking as someone who has designed a trademark that was ganked by a lazy POS, I can safely say when a client pays me a few thousand dollars to make them something original and uniquely their own, they have a full right to protect the integrity of their visual identity. If they don't, doesn't it kinda defeat the purpose of having one in the first place.

Thankfully a letter threatening legal action was enough to stop the whole incident, and I'm sure something similar will happen here, though if I were the franchise, I would file suit on the designer who did this. Because of his/her dishonesty, it will probably cost the team thousands in lost merchandise, signage, equipment, advertising, etc.

This issue could be debated over and over again. There's so many things that come into play. Did Waco sign a contract for somebody to design this logo for them or was it done within their organization. If they did have someone else do it for them then they could go after the designers. Waco might not have had any idea that their logo was so similar to the WWU logo. But like I said, there's so many things that come into play, the biggest would be if this ticked WWU off. Apparently it does so they have the right to go after these people.

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

JOEL...LOL you kill me thats one fine "original" av....lol.. though you should have flipped it...lol :D

It shocks me that somebody who is supposed to be so talented couldn't make it any clearer or smoother! lol

Retired Number's To Come

I must add my comments-I agree--nice avatar--but it should be flipped!

As for looking out for each other--I think that's a good idea--I haven't posted too many things that way--so it may not happen to me--but on another site that had Madden concepts you could download I saw a very familiar logo--it was designed by someone here--and this guy was offering it for download--I did inform the designer here--and as the guy who used did indicate he would remove any concepts if the logo's designer requested it, it was removed--in fact he had another from the same designer that I missed--now he's not making money on it, but he is offering it for download--he was quite upset about having to take it off, and on another discussion board (no--it's not fan home) he called me a rat, as I had posted I'd seen one of the logos elswhere...Anyway--I hope that didn't confuse you--

The upshot is--if you take someone else's logo, and use it as is--or change it--and it's for personal use--that's fine--example--the Madden concepts--I've done over 100 custom Madden teams--most have been deleted off the game--mot of the logos I didn't design, some I used exisitng logos to do what Waco did, some I used as is--but it's for personal usse--I've posted screen shots, but as for posting them for download? Naw--make them yourself!

If he'd only used the concept he took from someone here for personal use--no big deal--but he's spreading it around--Waco is doing it worse as they market the logo and identity--meaning CA$H.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Archived