Iowa Cubs Redesign

RIPmetrodome

For my very first uniform concept, I've decided to redesign the Iowa Cubs. I'll do a home, away, and alternate uniform for them. Keep in mine this is my first uniform concept, so don't rip me to shreads, but C&C is appreciated. By the way, I used both Inkscape and Paint, if that's important for anyone to know.

Iowa Cubs

Home

Road

Alternate

EDIT #1: I updated the uniforms based on most of your C&C. i still am having a problem cleaning up the unis, so any advice as to how to clean them up is appreciated. Please give some C&C on the updated version of the Iowa Cubs.

EDIT #2: I made the templates slightly cleaner by tracing them with the trace bitmap, and then going over any other details with the manual trace tool. If you guys don't like this one, I'm going to take a break on it to ponder what I could possibly be doing wrong by reviewing all of your comments.

EDIT #3: I made the uniforms slightly cleaner, again. I believe I'm nearing my finished product, but any C&C to make it absolutely perfect would be great. For this one, I moved the A closer to the IOW on the road uniform, as well as added some striping on the sleeves. I also made the CUBS text on the home uni less fuzzy.

I kept everything the same on the alternate uniform, although I did change the color of the C on the hat from white to red.

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

H.H.H. Metrodome - The greatest dome in the history of Minneapolis.

First of all, it's not horrible. In terms of what program to use, I think you would be better served using just one or the other. The thing that will get most people here is that the uniforms are very plain and look rushed because you used Paint and Inkscape (raster and vector don't go well together). The jersey template itself is pixelated, but you can tell the lettering and logos are vector. So, anyway, on to the jerseys...

Home - not too, too bad. I would recommend making the logo a bit bigger, though. I don't use Inkscape so I don't know how to do this, but you might want to figure out how to type letters on an oval rather than just rotate them. That should give you the effect you're looking for there.

Road - Also, it's pretty plain-looking. This time, the front lettering is too big. I would only extend it to about the start of the sleeve stitching. Keep the caps the same, by the way

Alt. - still a bit plain for me, but the color helps it. I would like to see you work on doing striping on the button area.

Take your time on the next one, and it should be much better. If you need to, walk away from it and come back to see what you can improve.

sig2_by_sergeiofrussia.png

i used a path to create the lettering on inkscape. i think i made the path too big, which is why the lettering is messed up.

for the alternate, do you mean add color to the lines next to the buttons? does anyone know the official term for that, b/c i dont like explaining it with a bunch of words.

i also thought the IOWA lettering was too big, but i decided to go with it anyway to see how people would respond to it.

thanks for the C&C. you know, you're the first person to ever give me C&C. congrats, i guess.

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

Don't try to do a complete series before you know you can put up a decent concept. I learned that the hard way. This is very sloppy, the first thing you need to work on is cleaning it up. Looking past the sloppiness tgo your ideas, there is plenty of room for improvement. For the hat, you should use the same C that you use in the script. Having mismatched Cs doesn't look too good. And you need an outline around the hat logo, it would be too hard to read against the blue cap. Having red piping on the jersey and blue piping on the pants doesn't look too good either, try to stay consistent.

The lettering on the away jersey is way too big, you need to make it a lot smaller. Also, add an outline onto this hat logo as well. Same thing with the alternate, you need outlines to be able to see red on blue. And the alt would be a great place to use a cub logo. You don't have any kind of logo with a cub in the whole uniform set.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

as i said in the first post, billy b, this is my first concept, so, yes, it probably isnt that decent of a concept. but anyway, i was thinking about using a white outline on the cap logos. would that make it stand out better? i chose not to use a cub in the set, but ill put a cub's head on the alternate cap.

how can i clean up a uniform set to make it look less sloppy? ive always wondered how to do that.

thanks for C&C

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

Yeah, you need to clean it up a lot. You can see the clean rendering of the letters and numbers, so you should be able to achieve this with the rest of the uniform. As for the designs:

Home: First of all, the blues for the logos and uniform don't match, so pick which one you want to use. The script wordmark looks fine, but the red piping looks pretty strange on it's own. If you are going to use the blue sleeves, then I think you should use blue piping. However, I'm not a fan of the blue sleeves anyway.

Road: Yeah, as was said before, the wordmark is too big. Also, if you are trying to curve the letters, either spend ore time setting them out, or I'm sure Inkscape can do it for you. Also, I don't think you should attempt to curve oblique type anyway, both effects seem to work against each other. Either curve or italicise, not both. The rest of the uniform is pretty plain and uninspiring.

Alt: Perhaps the best of the set, I think the white numbers and lettering against the blue work well. However, I think you should place a white outline round the logo on the jersey, at the minute the red and blue bleed together too much. Also the logo itself isn't great, you've used a serif typeface for one letter and a sans-serif for the other and the effect looks poor. I think you need a stronger logo if you are going to give it this prominant a position on the jersey.

On the whole, I think the problem is a lack of identity. The wordmarks and logos don't signify any particular place or team to me, especially the hat logos. Just placing an meaningless initial in a bland typeface on the hat isn't nearly a creative enough way to brand the team. Also, you have a problem with the curving of names on the back of all the uniforms. Again, take more time, use the proper tool or ditch the curve. Another issue is that all the elements of the uniforms aren't consistant. For example, the red on the road is darker than on the others, and the "C" logo on the hats changes. I don't know if this is deliberate, but if it is it doesn't look good. There's a lot of tidying up that ou can do on this, and a lot more room for creativity.

how can i clean up a uniform set to make it look less sloppy? ive always wondered how to do that.

spend more time on it

i am definitely(sp?) not as advanced or talented as most of you, and as a newer member, i dont understand what it takes to make a truly good concept. i know i must work hard to perfect my craft, but for now, i want you all to look past the sloppiness for now (i know that sounds bad) and just judge me on the designs themselves. i am working hard to try to find out a way to make the sets less sloppy. thanks to every1 who has given me C&C so far, as I can tell it has already improved me as a designer.

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

i think its impossible to distinguish a design from its presentation when it comes to something that is entirely

aesthetic like a uniform concept. if you were designing a logo then there would at least be some idea you were

trying to convey, and we could perhaps look past the presentation. however if your logos and other elements are

disproportionately large and your colours are all varying then it is hard to find another objective angle to judge

your designs on. a uniform IS itself presentation. things like this need to be correct.

there is nothing particularly ground breaking here, so that makes it even harder to look objectively at the design.

having said that, i dont think it would take that much effort to dramatically improve your presentation here. just

find a vector version of the template you have and start over being wary of the colours and relative sizes of the

elements on the jersey.

i think its impossible to distinguish a design from its presentation when it comes to something that is entirely

aesthetic like a uniform concept. if you were designing a logo then there would at least be some idea you were

trying to convey, and we could perhaps look past the presentation. however if your logos and other elements are

disproportionately large and your colours are all varying then it is hard to find another objective angle to judge

your designs on. a uniform IS itself presentation. things like this need to be correct.

there is nothing particularly ground breaking here, so that makes it even harder to look objectively at the design.

having said that, i dont think it would take that much effort to dramatically improve your presentation here. just

find a vector version of the template you have and start over being wary of the colours and relative sizes of the

elements on the jersey.

whenever i open a vector baseball template, it doesnt allow me to ungroup it on inkscape for some reason. thats why i have to use rastor templates for the designs.

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

definite improvement.

some of the text is still a little fuzzy, you might be able to get hold of some of those logos as vector files

from somewhere.

thanks for telling me that, i was starting to get down on myself, but even the slightest bit positive improvement is good at this point.

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

ya i see the CUBS text is fuzzy, if i can get my hands on a vector version of that, im sure itll be much improved. now that i fixed it for the most part, is it eligible for some C&C? :D

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

The spacing of Iowa on the away jersey needs some work. Either loosen up the other letters or bring 'A' closer in.

The C logo is bothering me a bit. It's so close to looking like the C in the script that the flaws in the curves stand out. I've had my own troubles getting curves to balance just right. It takes practice, patience and a steady hand.

spend more time on it

i am definitely(sp?) not as advanced or talented as most of you, and as a newer member, i dont understand what it takes to make a truly good concept. i know i must work hard to perfect my craft, but for now, i want you all to look past the sloppiness for now (i know that sounds bad) and just judge me on the designs themselves. i am working hard to try to find out a way to make the sets less sloppy. thanks to every1 who has given me C&C so far, as I can tell it has already improved me as a designer.

Stop insulting yourself, yes we know you are a newbie, we understand that, and thus we will be more forgiving while you learn how to construct concepts. Just be positive about improving but look to improve, that's the key, it's pointless to sit behind the excuse that you are a new member and thus your concepts will be sloppy. It doesn't work like that, because you are new doesn't automatically mean your concepts will be sloppy or sub-par, it's the effort that you put into it. If you put in the effort, then the concepts will be successful even if they aren't that great, because you are at a certain beginning skill level, but you will also improve. I know I'm rambling but I guess my main point is to just not make excuses, but show us some effort (which you appear to be doing, so that's good).

I agree with Billy, it's a little far-fetched to start a series when it is your first concept.

And spell your words out, for god's sake. You aren't text messaging, this is an internet forum, show a little maturity.

since that post i made, i did make it less sloppy, so i guess that post is null and void. im glad u think im showing some effort (i didnt spell "you" out just to bug you, elliot) lol. now i dont want anyone to look past my sloppiness, as i can easily tell the difference between a sloppy and clean concept.

as of this post, i am changing this to just the Iowa Cubs Redesign, instead of the Triple A Redesign, because it is my first concept, so ill focus on making this one perfect before beginning a series. continue with the C&C, i should make an update sometime tonight.

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

Ive updated the concept so it's a little bit cleaner. i also made some changes to the road uniform, i moved the A closer to the IOW so it doesn't look awkward. i also added some blue striping on the sleeves. C&C for v4 is appreciated.

Home

Road

Alternate

Vikings.png

VikingsCards.png

Archived