NCAA Identity Project

chickenfish13

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Take some drawing classes and sketch, sketch, sketch :)

Look at some books about figure drawing, and also some about comic book figure drawing for more dynamic angles and lighting.

You seem to have good ideas, but lack the execution. That will come with time.

Think about why you're changing color schemes instead of doing it arbitrarily. Why did you change the Tulane Green Wave to just Wave, but add in the reddish color? I'm not saying that to nitpick...I'm saying it to help you think about the choices you're making in your redesigns. I can't think of a school that radically changed its color scheme, and if you decide to go that direction, make sure it fits.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I can tell from the posts that I have missed the mark on these concepts, mainly Tulane. What needs to be changed about them? Besides the Tulane color issue, I realize why that is a bad choice. But what can I do to make it better?

And, being 13 it is kinda hard to get into drawing classes and whatnot, I have to wait a year (high school) before I can take classes like that. My school isn't exactly the best for stuff like that..., and I have no idea where they would have classes away from school. ^_^

You're on the right track with Tulane. I actually like the basic idea of it. On the primary, the wave isn't really connected with the wordmark on the bottom, like you can see the bottom of the wave shooting up from the wordmark on the right side. What wave does that? Also, why the jagged edges on the wordmark? When I think of waves, I think of smooth, calmness, not jagged sharp edges.

Keep at it though, for 13, you're already ahead of the game. Hell, I started doing stuff when I was about 15 1/2.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I'm certainly not picking on you and I hope you know that. Granted, it has been 30 years since I was 13, but I remember how I was. I used to draw every sports team's logo over and over. I used to draw every company logo I saw. I used to draw every TV station's logo. I used draw Superman and Spider Man and Batman, etc. I used to draw everything I saw.I used to make up my own fonts and designs and logos for teams. I think a lot of us were this way. Otherwise, I don't think some of us would be here. Anyway, slapshot had some great advice about comic books. Pick up a few copies of different styles of artists. It doesn't matter if you're interested in the story or the character. Look at the style the artist uses. Look at shading and lighting and form. I used to be told to get out of my room and go outside because I would spend hours just drawing. Sadly, I think I have become lazy and old and I believe my work has suffered from the lack of physically holding a pencil and putting it to paper. I still do work this way, just not like I did when I was younger. Study everything you see and look for patterns and shapes. Look at the logos of professional sports leagues' teams and look at college logos. See any differences? What are those differences?Look at the work of some of the designers here on the boards. (Some of these guys make real money doing this). I know you are young and there may be some patience required, but check to see if any local junior colleges or tech schools have anything available. Check to see if any community center activties may include something along these lines. The best thing, though, in my opinion, is just draw everything you see.And then draw it again.

OK, no problem Logoman, that's not harsh at all, I know you are just trying to help. And, honestly, I hate tulane's color scheme, but that's probably just an opinion thing. Thanks for your post though.

Dude, you can't change the colors. Olive Green and Sky Blue are in our Alma Mater.

I understand all of you. Logoman, I realize you aren't picking on me, you are just trying to help me out. Chestnutz, I'm glad someone likes the Tulane idea ^_^ , and I will work on an update for that. I think I may just go until I'm pleased with Tulane, and then slow things down a little. I probably won't have the next team up for a while, but if possible, I would still love to see some requests. Thanks to everyone who is trying to help, it means a lot.

OK, So i've changed my mind. I have decided to put a hold on all series, (CHL, NCAA Identity). I think I get too ahead of myself and start spitting stuff out, and It doesn't end up well. I will probably start posting concepts more rarely, as I am really going to think things through, and work on concepts from start to finish, before I post it. I'd like to thank Logoman again, I have started sketching stuff, and I'm really enjoying it, and I can't thank him enough for his kind words. I am going to post a concept I have been wanting to post for a while, and than not post anything for awhile. Me and another member are working on something, but I have no clue when that will be up, it'll probably be awhile.

I hate to put off these threads, but I have realized I'm getting to ambitious, and I am going to work from concepts, start to finish.

Thanks again to Logoman, and expect to see the next concept up in a bit.

C-Fish

OK, no problem Logoman, that's not harsh at all, I know you are just trying to help. And, honestly, I hate tulane's color scheme, but that's probably just an opinion thing. Thanks for your post though.

Dude, you can't change the colors. Olive Green and Sky Blue are in our Alma Mater.

Have to agree, especially since 'green' is part of the team's nickname. What's next, the Alabama Tide, Texas Tech Raiders and Duke Devils?

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived