NRL Finals Series on Spike

Gazzzaf

Hi all,

As you may or may not know, Spike TV is showing one game per week of the (Australian) National Rugby League finals series. From what I've heard it was well received by last weeks (small) audience. Did anyone on the boards catch it?

And just to clarify, NRL is Rugby League (a variant of Rugby) as opposed to Rugby Union. A lot of League's rules are similar to those in football so I guess there might be some familiarity; it didn't take me too long to grasp football from the other side of the coin.

sig.png

Kinger and I both stumbled upon it independent of each other this past Friday. I've already got my DVR set for the coming weeks. I've been downloading torrents all season, but having right on TV is nice and convenient, and HD-tastic.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I first noticed the promo while watching CSI. I thought it was a joke. I went to their website, and there it was. I recorded the Melbourne-Manly game. It seems like I'm watching five running plays, then a punt.

It's like watching Nebraska play.

philly.png

I first noticed the promo while watching CSI. I thought it was a joke. I went to their website, and there it was. I recorded the Melbourne-Manly game. It seems like I'm watching five running plays, then a punt.

It's like watching Nebraska play.

Only interesting and enjoyable.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'm guessing you'll get the Friday night game again (?), which is Parra vs Gold Coast. There's no real rivalry there as such because Gold Coast are only in their third year in the league, but it should be entertaining. Parra were on a tear towards the end of the regular season before a 37-0 reverse against St George in their final game which shocked everyone. But they turned it right around this past weekend to survive week 1 of the finals and beat the Dragons at the second attempt.

The other game is full of intrigue. The guy who coached Brisbane for 21 years (Wayne Bennett) returns to Brisbane with the Dragons hoping to avoid an embarrasing finals exit after winning the minor premiership. Brisbane looked dead and buried two-thirds of the way through the season but rallied to earn a finals berth (probably saving the new coach's job in the process), before beating the Gold Coast last week to earn a home final.

The Bulldogs and Storm lie in wait for the two winners.

liverpool-1.png

I'm hoping for a cracker between Parra and the Titans. Parra has been my adopted team since the Raiders didn't make the finals and it was great seeing them stick it to the Dragons on Sunday (lots of free beers too on account of a mate winning a bet on first tryscorer). On top of that, the Raiders play the Tigers in the U20's prior to kickoff. Should be a fun night.

I can't pick who I want to win out of the Broncos and Dragons, both lots of supporters annoy me equally for different reasons (Broncos for their general "Queenslander" nonsense and the glut of bandwagoning Dragons fans that have surfaced of late).

sig.png

I'm hoping for a cracker between Parra and the Titans. Parra has been my adopted team since the Raiders didn't make the finals and it was great seeing them stick it to the Dragons on Sunday (lots of free beers too on account of a mate winning a bet on first tryscorer). On top of that, the Raiders play the Tigers in the U20's prior to kickoff. Should be a fun night.

I can't pick who I want to win out of the Broncos and Dragons, both lots of supporters annoy me equally for different reasons (Broncos for their general "Queenslander" nonsense and the glut of bandwagoning Dragons fans that have surfaced of late).

Titans all the way for me.

I despise the other three with a passion. Parra are probably the best supported club in the local area here with people raised in the 1980s (I wonder why?? :rolleyes:) and like you said Gaz, its sad the number of St George fans who only appear when they are winning,most of whom were raised in the 1950s and 60s (I wonder why?? :rolleyes:). I also had a soft spot for the old Steelers and their identity disappeared when they "merged" with St George.

Brisbane annoy me because I lived there for four years and that was enough :D

liverpool-1.png

Yeah I know what you mean regarding Parra. I grew up in Blacktown which is both Parramatta and Penrith territory, lots of bogan fans there, I hated both teams for years as a result.

Parramatta is the lesser of 6 evils to me; cant stand the Dogs (although not as bad as a few years back), Dragons and Broncs have already been explained, Melbourne for killing free flowing football with their grubby tactics (and their recently broken 7 year hoodoo over the Raiders) and the Titans for effectively claiming themselves to be the golden child of the league as well as their tactics at home to unsettle the away team (think using explosion sounds over loudspeakers while catching a ball).

Also, the Melbourne/Manly game was a pretty ordinary game to showcase. It may have been a grand final rematch but both teams have dropped off big time since last year and Manly is always garbage playing in Melbourne. A touch up was expected to say the least.

sig.png

I'm guessing you'll get the Friday night game again (?), which is Parra vs Gold Coast.

Yes, it will be Parra vs Gold Coast because it's scheduled to air Friday night at 11:00pm Eastern. http://www.spike.com/show/33783

I wonder if Americans have grasped the McIntyre Final Eight playoff system yet? ^_^

I had to do a good bit of reading up to figure out what the hell that was all about. It's a interesting system, to be sure, and I understand the arguments both for and against it.

Parramatta is the lesser of 6 evils to me; cant stand the Dogs (although not as bad as a few years back), Dragons and Broncs have already been explained, Melbourne for killing free flowing football with their grubby tactics (and their recently broken 7 year hoodoo over the Raiders) and the Titans for effectively claiming themselves to be the golden child of the league as well as their tactics at home to unsettle the away team (think using explosion sounds over loudspeakers while catching a ball).

I am anti-Melbourne these days due almost entirely to two players, the turncoat Greg Inglis and that dirty grub Billy Slater. I had no problems with them when they entered the league and was delighted when they won their first premiership.

Now that the Dogs have sorted their fans out for the most part, I don't mind them. Grew up a Dogs fan but when they had the mass exodus of talent to Wests when Warren Ryan went there it upset me. As a kid you just don't understand these things, and it hurt!

Thanks to the Super League war I now only have soft spots for the Titans and Knights (who can hate the Knights?), but can't follow a team with any passion :(

liverpool-1.png

I am anti-Melbourne these days due almost entirely to two players, the turncoat Greg Inglis and that dirty grub Billy Slater. I had no problems with them when they entered the league and was delighted when they won their first premiership.

Now that the Dogs have sorted their fans out for the most part, I don't mind them. Grew up a Dogs fan but when they had the mass exodus of talent to Wests when Warren Ryan went there it upset me. As a kid you just don't understand these things, and it hurt!

Thanks to the Super League war I now only have soft spots for the Titans and Knights (who can hate the Knights?), but can't follow a team with any passion :(

I didn't mind Melbourne coming into the comp either but I do mind when they play football that kills creativity across the league. After all they were the ones originally accused of wrestling tactics in 2003.

The Dogs, asides from their bad reputation with fans, intentionally broke the salary cap by a huge amount and although they lost points for 2002, still had a large number of the same players in 2004 with which they won the premiership. Many of those players opted for reduced salary but I'd say 3rd party deals were included. I'm a fan of a club with enough issues attracting players even by paying overs and then Sydney clubs with far greater sponsorship opportunities blow the cap and cop a partial reprimand, makes my brain boil.

And you did find a Knights "disliker" right here. Not so much for the team but some of the fans. I live just south of Newcastle and in prior years spent a fair bit of time there. I must say that many of their fans remind me of Brisbane fans but with less reason to be so arrogant considering their relative successes. Lots of rough types up there too.

The clubs I don't mind (at the moment) are:

• Cowboys (except Thurston [grub])
  • Eels
  • Panthers (Was dirty about Matt Elliott leaving Canberra they way he did but the 74-12 touchup last year squared the ledger)
  • Rabbitohs (I daresay my second team, not bandwagoning either as I've always liked them. Plus I go to a few of their games every year)
  • Tigers
  • Warriors (I'm over them rorting the cap to get Wiki)

sig.png

I didn't mind Melbourne coming into the comp either but I do mind when they play football that kills creativity across the league. After all they were the ones originally accused of wrestling tactics in 2003.

The Dogs, asides from their bad reputation with fans, intentionally broke the salary cap by a huge amount and although they lost points for 2002, still had a large number of the same players in 2004 with which they won the premiership. Many of those players opted for reduced salary but I'd say 3rd party deals were included. I'm a fan of a club with enough issues attracting players even by paying overs and then Sydney clubs with far greater sponsorship opportunities blow the cap and cop a partial reprimand, makes my brain boil.

And you did find a Knights "disliker" right here. Not so much for the team but some of the fans. I live just south of Newcastle and in prior years spent a fair bit of time there. I must say that many of their fans remind me of Brisbane fans but with less reason to be so arrogant considering their relative successes. Lots of rough types up there too.

The clubs I don't mind (at the moment) are:

• Cowboys (except Thurston [grub])
  • Eels
  • Panthers (Was dirty about Matt Elliott leaving Canberra they way he did but the 74-12 touchup last year squared the ledger)
  • Rabbitohs (I daresay my second team, not bandwagoning either as I've always liked them. Plus I go to a few of their games every year)
  • Tigers
  • Warriors (I'm over them rorting the cap to get Wiki)

Oh and I was cool with the Bears and Reds, bring them back!

sig.png

Interesting. So Melbourne Storm = New Jersey Devils, then.

I'm guessing you'll get the Friday night game again (?), which is Parra vs Gold Coast.

Yes, it will be Parra vs Gold Coast because it's scheduled to air Friday night at 11:00pm Eastern. http://www.spike.com/show/33783

I wonder if Americans have grasped the McIntyre Final Eight playoff system yet? ^_^

I had to do a good bit of reading up to figure out what the hell that was all about. It's a interesting system, to be sure, and I understand the arguments both for and against it.

I still think the AFL system is better, but that's just me. I like the idea of the matchups being predetermined prior to the start of the competition rather than finding out when all of the games are done.

philly.png

I still think the AFL system is better, but that's just me. I like the idea of the matchups being predetermined prior to the start of the competition rather than finding out when all of the games are done.

The AFL finals system is based on League's old top 7 (and to a lesser extent, the even older top 5) format back when the NRL was the ARL if I remember correctly. The NRL shouldn't have left it.

Not sure what is meant by matchups being predetermined with regards to finals. I think you're talking about the television rights. The AFL predetermines regular season matchup dates and times for broadcast at the start of the season whereas the NRL schedules matches 7 weeks in advance. The NRL is very much media controlled and with this system of scheduling, they can choose in-form teams for "games of the week", although the network with first pick tends to favour incumbent teams regardless (ie. not my team). The AFL, in general is a far better managed organisation; league seems to be in constant turmoil (although News Ltd makes sure EVERYTHING reaches the media, scandals are money makers for them afterall). Nationwide, the AFL shows greater popularity, a lot of this due to the incompetence of league administrators, with a greater share of fans in the country with the exception of NSW and Qld. On the other hand, and I'm biased here, I believe that League has a superior product for overseas markets, particularly in the US. As I mentioned before, league is rugby with some commonalities with (American) football, making it easier to adapt to a game with no such ties.

Got a little off the beaten track there.

sig.png

Archived