United States soccer concept

chestnutz

The US does not have the same soccer tradition as the rest of the globe so I think using a "historic" ball in a modern logo for a country that lacks the tradition is a stretch. The rest of the logo is fine, and I am a fan of the Gadsden Flag but I feel the media will soon treat that like the Confederate Battle flag of the 21 century.

pissinonbobsmall.jpg

Giving money and power to government is like giving whiskey and car keys to teenage boys.

P. J. O'Rourke

It's a very well made concept. The Nike thing is bit problematic, but let's not dwell on it.

I think it might be better if the highlight on the snake's back was white all around and not the color of the stripes.

The ball is not a problem. As somebody stated, that kind of ball is used in logos all around the world. It's better to do what feels right and be proud of it and not be saying 'yeah, it's soccer and you know, we're really sorry'. If nascar fans think it's a volleyball, screw them. Plus that's the best looking ball for logos, that telstar design is overused. One option of course to ditch the ball altogether.

I also like the fact that it doesn't have any stars since they usually refer to won world cups.

I also like the fact that it doesn't have any stars since they usually refer to won world cups.

...except in the case where a country's flag and/or other symbols incorporate stars. Given the US's connection to "stars and stripes," isn't it a bit silly to say that there shouldn't be any stars in the crest for the national team?

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

...except in the case where a country's flag and/or other symbols incorporate stars. Given the US's connection to "stars and stripes," isn't it a bit silly to say that there shouldn't be any stars in the crest for the national team?

The stars denoting achievement on a soccer jersey do not typically form part of the team crest, usually they are applied above or below the crest. BrasilAway.jpg

or regular_2008germanyhomeshirtl.jpg

Though there are exceptions. (Italy for instance)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

No need to get patriotic. I just said I liked the fact it didn't have any stars in it, not that an US logo shouldn't be allowed to have them.

On the ball: It's your design, do what you want. Just pointing out that to non-fanatics, it looks like a volleyball. I just know this non-NASCAR fan looked at it and thought, "How odd."

Btw, rebuttal to your rebuttal:

37lz945ubl5li90aedlf.gif

United States of America should be changed to US Soccer or something to that effect. I'm cool with the ball, but I thought it came from Birmingham city's logo. I actually like the DTOM logo, so I like this logo. Another idea is using a single star as the background and building on top of that instead of worrying about a Stars & Bars issue.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

While your concept is nicely rendered, I'm not a fan of aping the rattlesnake symbolism first linked to American soccer by Nike as part of the DOTM campaign . Yes, the rattlesnake and the phrase played a role in American history, particularly the era of the American Revolution. That said, it is not a symbol with as much widespread familiarity to the American people as, say, the bald eagle. Further, said rattlesnake symbolism is most associated with a United States comprised of just thirteen component colonies/states. As such, the symbol has little resonance when it comes to representing the vast majority of the country. It would be better to utilize a symbol that has regularly represented the country since its growth to 50 states. Finally, I shy away from having a team that represents our nation following the lead of a for-profit sportswear manufacturer when it comes to establishing an identity for said team. It strikes me as both crassly commercial and trendy.

On the ball: It's your design, do what you want. Just pointing out that to non-fanatics, it looks like a volleyball. I just know this non-NASCAR fan looked at it and thought, "How odd."

Btw, rebuttal to your rebuttal:

37lz945ubl5li90aedlf.gif

That's not a rebuttal.

Your argument was that the ball used was not a soccer ball. And I showed you how the ball used was yes, a soccer ball. All you provided, with FIFA's logo, is that what you determine as a soccer ball IS a soccer ball.

EDIT:

See, a rebuttal would be providing: http://www.soccer-fans-info.com/history-of-soccer-balls.html or the wikipedia page, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soccer_ball, in which BOTH sites verify that the design is that of a soccer ball. It also talks about the 2006 official design of the ball, which in an argument would make the FIFA logo out-of-date.

Archived