United States soccer concept

chestnutz

I've had this laying around for a long time, and finally decided to post it.

I've done 2 USMNT concepts before, if I recall correctly, and I was iffy on 'em. I set out for a classic crest that people would be able to recognize right away, that shoved the US soccer team into a new era, getting rid of the stupid motion ball crest.

So here it is. I went with the don't tread on me snake, since it can be the base of an amazing brand IMO. Red and white stripes behind it give the logo some pop, but keep it simple.

I'll just post the crest for now, and kits will come later. I've got two main ideas already drawn up, one that focuses on pinstripes and one that focuses on the thick diagonal stripe they used for the DTOM red jerseys a few years ago. Which do y'all think is the better direction to go in? Preferable home kit color (red with blue shorts, blue top with white shorts, or white shirt?) and clash would be appreciated so I can make it please the most people possible!

final.png

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

Things I like - I like the overall composition, I like the shape of the shield, the incorporation of the ribbon and the idea of placing a navy blue element in the center. I love the horizontal red stripes as a background in the shield.

Things I don't like - we all love the DTOM snake from Nike, but it's time to move forward. Let's see something original there; a new eagle, a different rattlesnake, something else that is iconic to America. The execution of the ribbon is lacking both in style and incorporation with the shield. You've got hard lines on the shield yet none on the ribbon; the billow at the edges too doesn't flow with the straight sides of the shield. I would make those straight as well as the tails on either side, and then skew the type instead of a rainbow. Your type is another problem - it's far too small and insignificant compared to the rest of the composition. It needs to be featured. The all caps causes a lack of visual rhythm - I would recommend small caps or at least making the word "of" smaller, as it does not need to have the same prominence as United, States, and America. It's a great start, keep going.

OD_Signature.jpg

I just realized: That's a volleyball, not a soccer ball.

Wrong. Thanks for pulling that out, though; surely no one else has ever said that before.

This doesn't work for me at all, really. You made a eagle-based version before, right? That was the stuff right there.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

yeah, it's a volleyball:

volleyball.jpg

soccer ball:

3d_soccer_ball.jpg

The ball manufacturer mitre still uses that pattern for soccer balls, used in the English Football League, and I believe the scottish league as well

0,,10327~3298865,00.jpg

Does seem odd to have a snake to represent the US? It might lead to a great brand, but I am not sure it cries out USA. Is there any other use of the Snake as a representation for the USA?

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

It's not the same pattern as the Mitre ball ... look at all the extra curves on Mitre ... the seam across the middle "bar" ... the concept pattern is much closer to volleyball (I think it IS a volleyball) than to a Mitre soccer ball. And it's a problem if you have to go to an English Football League ball to justify the design. Should just be a recognizable soccer ball.

Not trying to be a jerk, just pointing out something that others will later.

Gordie covered most of what I would probably have said. On the positive side, I really like the horizontal bars in the crest. For kits, I think it wouls be interesting to go with a "stars" (navy/white) kit and a "bars" (red/white) kit. And, unfortunately, the ball does read as a volleyball.

Is there any other use of the Snake as a representation for the USA?

The Gadsen flag and Ben Franklin's "Join or Die" cartoon are two examples. Most of the usage of a rattlesnake for American imagery is from the Revolutionary Era.

"In the arena of logic, I fight unarmed."

I tweet & tumble.

Needs a red beard.

I kid. Good work buddy.

http://i.imgur.com/4ahMZxD.png

koizim said:
And...and ya know what we gotta do? We gotta go kick him in da penis. He'll be injured. Injured bad.

COYS and Go Sox

Things I like - I like the overall composition, I like the shape of the shield, the incorporation of the ribbon and the idea of placing a navy blue element in the center. I love the horizontal red stripes as a background in the shield.

Things I don't like - we all love the DTOM snake from Nike, but it's time to move forward. Let's see something original there; a new eagle, a different rattlesnake, something else that is iconic to America. The execution of the ribbon is lacking both in style and incorporation with the shield. You've got hard lines on the shield yet none on the ribbon; the billow at the edges too doesn't flow with the straight sides of the shield. I would make those straight as well as the tails on either side, and then skew the type instead of a rainbow. Your type is another problem - it's far too small and insignificant compared to the rest of the composition. It needs to be featured. The all caps causes a lack of visual rhythm - I would recommend small caps or at least making the word "of" smaller, as it does not need to have the same prominence as United, States, and America. It's a great start, keep going.

Thanks all for the C&C, and thanks for the honesty gordie.

I know exactly what you mean though, and understand completely that you want something new and original. I just had this lying around, something I did early this year, and figured I'd post it. I'll definitely work on it some though. For the banner, did you mean you'd prefer a straight edge banner with no curve or arch?

And guys, it's a soccer ball. It's the kind of ball they used way back when.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I think for the banner have the sides straight but keep the curve - it's that blend of curves/straight edges that need to match the shield. Make sense? Glad to hear you take my comments in stride, it's a necessary component of being a designer to handle critique well. As far as the image in the middle, it's definitely worth exploring something original. Your other elements deserve it.

OD_Signature.jpg

If you have to explain it's an OLD soccer ball, it probably isn't a good idea to use it. Just sayin'. Love the rattlesnake concept, tho.

If you have to explain it's an OLD soccer ball, it probably isn't a good idea to use it. Just sayin'. Love the rattlesnake concept, tho.

A precursor: I am not a soccer (football, for the euro audience) die-hard. But it's the US, so not that many people are (in comparison to other sports). This means you need to address the casual fan, because if soccer is going to grow, it will have to communicate to the casual fan. So although that soccer ball may be accurate in terms of history, it does not communicate as a soccer ball to the casual American fan. That's why it would be wise to edit the ball.

To be fair, even American soccer uses a ball that does not look like what you think of as a soccer ball. On the other hand, the MLS logo, as well as the crests for many of the teams have the pentagonal ball design in them. So the "that's not a soccer ball!" argument is moot on both sides.

I like this design, but have a few issues. The ribbon seems tacked on and I'd be VERY careful, in today's global political climate, with any design that can be construed as America surrounding the world.

I love the crest and the overall idea, its an improvement over what they have. The biggest criticism I have is that the ribbon and text seem small by comparison to the shield. I'd make the ribbon just a tad thicker and the font a size or two bigger - I think it would give it more balance and you have the space.

Don't listen to people raggin on your ball choice - any soccer fan recognizes that ball. Barcelona uses it on their crest. It has been around for a while.

I like the use of the snake logo, I think it has some history behind it, and the modern crest blends the team's history with the team's bright future. You could go in a new direction and be successful, but I like this look.

Fix that ribbon and you have a winner. Nice job.

Archived