Shock moving to Tulsa.

BrySmalls

This makes sense for the league. Get your unsustainable franchises out of the big markets where they have zero media penetration, and move them to minor-league markets, where they are more likely to receive coverage and develop an actual fan base. This is really the only way to make a fringe league like this sustainable.

co-sign

I don't follow the WNBA, but I'm scratching my head as far as why they didn't put a team in Tennessee when the league started, let alone not have one there now. Isn't it a no-brainer that the only place teams might gain a following are in markets in or near places where womens college ball is already big? Work out some kind of territorial system like the USFL and even stack all the teams on the east coast if necessary. If the NBA is gonna be this stubborn about keeping the league around, they might as well give it a CHANCE to be successful.

More jobs leaving the Metro Detroit area (Not just the players but Palace employees)

Last year a Shock ticket sales rep came to our office to try to sell season tix.

This was her sales pitch. "Hey, they're not the Pistons, but its something to do on the weekend if you're bored".

-Dan

I seriously doubt any Palace employees are gonna lose their jobs over this (at least not this alone).

LOL @ her pitch though... thats hilarious.

The Palace just lost 17 Home dates for the Shock plus playoffs.

This won't cause The Palace to reduce hours for some employees or cut some entirely?

-Dan

Let's give Detroit another shot at the AFL(2?), that will generate more business for the Palace than the Shock did, even if they play fewer games.

This makes sense for the league. Get your unsustainable franchises out of the big markets where they have zero media penetration, and move them to minor-league markets, where they are more likely to receive coverage and develop an actual fan base. This is really the only way to make a fringe league like this sustainable.

co-sign

I don't follow the WNBA, but I'm scratching my head as far as why they didn't put a team in Tennessee when the league started, let alone not have one there now. Isn't it a no-brainer that the only place teams might gain a following are in markets in or near places where womens college ball is already big? Work out some kind of territorial system like the USFL and even stack all the teams on the east coast if necessary. If the NBA is gonna be this stubborn about keeping the league around, they might as well give it a CHANCE to be successful.

More jobs leaving the Metro Detroit area (Not just the players but Palace employees)

Last year a Shock ticket sales rep came to our office to try to sell season tix.

This was her sales pitch. "Hey, they're not the Pistons, but its something to do on the weekend if you're bored".

-Dan

I seriously doubt any Palace employees are gonna lose their jobs over this (at least not this alone).

LOL @ her pitch though... thats hilarious.

The Palace just lost 17 Home dates for the Shock plus playoffs.

This won't cause The Palace to reduce hours for some employees or cut some entirely?

-Dan

Let's give Detroit another shot at the AFL(2?), that will generate more business for the Palace than the Shock did, even if they play fewer games.

Or an AHL team.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

-Dan

That's really too bad. The WNBA might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I've been to a game and there are far worse ways to spend $40 for a family of four. Tickets are cheap, the quality of play is better than women's college basketball (which isn't much of a qualifier, I know), and those games still have all of the music/videoboard/hullabaloo of the men's game.

It's clearly second-rate professional basketball, but it does have its positives. And for some people, the only way they can afford to see professional sports in the big arena is through the WNBA.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

But itz wimmin playin, so wee gotta maek fun uf it!11

Whose making fun of it? The WNBA failed in metro detroit because it was more profitable for the owner to sell the team instead of continuing operrations.

Tell me something, -Dan...you do read, right? I'm not asking you if can read, but if you actually do it. If so, you wouldn't have to ask me who's making fun of it. Just read the damn thread, you'll get your answer.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Whose making fun of it? The WNBA failed in metro detroit because it was more profitable for the owner to sell the team instead of continuing operrations.

Tell me something, -Dan...you do read, right? I'm not asking you if can read, but if you actually do it. If so, you wouldn't have to ask me who's making fun of it. Just read the damn thread, you'll get your answer.

Are you asking if I read "right" or if I read correctly?

I read a thread discussing the moving of a WNBA team. Sure there were some lesbian jokes, but those comments wernt really about the league.

I pretty much discarded the stupid comments and only read the comments that were productive to the thread.

-Dan

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

I'd like to see the WNBA make it. I've been to two games, and it's not really my thing, but there were some people into it. And I like the idea of more female pro athletes, with healthy bodies, for girls to look up to...beats the chain-smoking waifs that dominate their sight lines now.

If people want to make fun of the smaller crowds or even the quality of play, that's fine. But if it folds, it's the people that will be gleeful about that will piss me off. It's there in the summer not affecting you...it's not a bad thing if it makes it.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Are you asking if I read "right" or if I read correctly?

This answers his question, in some sense.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The owner was Bill Davidson, correct? Maybe his family had to pay off estate taxes by unloading the Shock.

That's exactly what I was thinking. If I'm not mistaken, now since the Shock are no longer owned by the Pistons/Davidson estate, I believe the only WNBA teams left that are co-owned with a NBA team are the Liberty (Knicks), Silver Stars (Spurs), and Monarchs (Kings). All the other teams are owned independently from the NBA brother teams in their respective markets.

Probably not. It will affect the folks that worked only for the Shock. The number of folks that worked only for the Shock should be minimal.

The Palace now opened up 17 days in the calendar for more profitable events, whether it be concerts, conventions, shows, etc. More likely than not, the same folks that were scanning tickets and selling popcorn for the Shock games are the same folks that work Pistons games and other events.

Archived