World Heavyweight Boxing title

Saintsfan

Tomorrow sees the World Heavyweight champion (ok one of the world heavyweight champions) Nikolay Valuev, all 7ft+, 22 stones of him, take on Britain's David Haye for the title.

_46684424_8810ed88-38d0-4885-adb5-44a5d8a9f424.jpg

I am interested to know how much play this fight has gotten in the US. Its been getting a fair bit of coverage in the UK (for obvious reasons). But I was interested that one of the promotion team claimed that Valuev was the more popular fighter in the States and that people didn't like Haye, who has been reasonably vocal in the build up to the fight.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Tomorrow sees the World Heavyweight champion (ok one of the world heavyweight champions) Nikolay Valuev, all 7ft+, 22 stones of him, take on Britain's David Haye for the title.

_46684424_8810ed88-38d0-4885-adb5-44a5d8a9f424.jpg

I am interested to know how much play this fight has gotten in the US. Its been getting a fair bit of coverage in the UK (for obvious reasons). But I was interested that one of the promotion team claimed that Valuev was the more popular fighter in the States and that people didn't like Haye, who has been reasonably vocal in the build up to the fight.

Little to none, honestly. I've only heard ONE national talking head even talk about this fight. I wouldn't say that Valuev is the more popular fighter, it's just that there is little to nothing said/known about Haye. At least we know who that big, hairly, ogre looking mother:censored:er is.

Even the Pacquiao-Cotto bout is getting little play here.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

I am interested to know how much play this fight has gotten in the US.

I guess I can't speak for the U.S., but in America's Hat (Canada), it has gotten next to no attention at all. I think I saw a commercial for the PPV the other night, and that was the first I had heard of this match. And I'll be damned if I'm shelling out $50 to watch it.

I would say that Valuev is the better-known of the two boxers, but to say he's more popular might be a bit of a stretch.

Honestly, interest in heavyweight boxing has waned so much over the past decade or two. There's nowhere near the hype around heavyweight title matches like there was when Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield or Riddick Bowe were in their heydays. The stars just don't seem as marketable anywhere. That interest seems to have been diverted to mixed martial arts or guys in the lower weight classes like Pacquiao, Mayweather and Marquez.

One spin that the British press has put on the fight is that it would be good for the Heavyweight division for Haye to win. He is a relatively charasmatic figure, might draw some attention back to the heavyweight division, and would probably be more marketable in the States. (FWIW)

Incidentally, Haye was originally a cruiserweight, was I think undisputed Cruiserweight champion until a year or two ago. Decent fighter, although I think the worry might be he has bitten off more than he can chew in Valuev.

Its amazing to me how the Heavyweight title has lost its lustre over the last decade or so. I guess to really recover, given where the money and lustre in the sport is, it will take a good American or Latin American to come back into the division.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Its amazing to me how the Heavyweight title has lost its lustre over the last decade or so. I guess to really recover, given where the money and lustre in the sport is, it will take a good American or Latin American to come back into the division.

I don't think it will be the nationality of the fighter that draws people back to heavyweight boxing. If promoters can find a guy who is quick, explosive, exciting and has half a personality that people can get behind, that's what will capture people's attention. Guys like Pacquiao or Hatton aren't American or Latin American, but people who follow boxing are just as enthralled with them. It's going to be tough in the heavyweight division to find a guy like that, but they basically need to find the antithesis of the slow, plodding punchers that have dominated the division the past while.

I don't think it will be the nationality of the fighter that draws people back to heavyweight boxing. If promoters can find a guy who is quick, explosive, exciting and has half a personality that people can get behind, that's what will capture people's attention. Guys like Pacquiao or Hatton aren't American or Latin American, but people who follow boxing are just as enthralled with them. It's going to be tough in the heavyweight division to find a guy like that, but they basically need to find the antithesis of the slow, plodding punchers that have dominated the division the past while.

I think that is why there is some hope in Haye. He is a former cruiserweight, and therefore is somewhat the antithesis of the modern day plodding hitter.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

wasn't he itching to fight one of the Klitschko brothers at one time? thats about all i know of him

Not sure about that. I think he moved up to heavyweight to fight someone, anyone, for the title. Not sure if he was bothered who exactly.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

wasn't he itching to fight one of the Klitschko brothers at one time? thats about all i know of him

Not sure about that. I think he moved up to heavyweight to fight someone, anyone, for the title. Not sure if he was bothered who exactly.

Yes. Haye was originally signed a contract to fight Wladimir Klitschko in june of this year but pulled out of the fight two weeks before with a "hand injury". He then signed to fight tonight and has been trying to "pull an Ali", but is just seen as a baby for his complaining.

Eh, an ok fight. Kind of a let down to be honest. I'm happy with the result though.

It really does not matter as Don King has one belt in his hands (Haye), the Klitschko brothers will not fight each other (rightfully so), and no realistically good US fighter makes the HWT division a non-factor in the US.

Haye won the decision in a lackluster fight. Luckily for Don King, he was a promotor so he has options on this mess.

JUst seen an interview with one of Haye's trainers, basically it was Haye's tactic to keep out of the way on Valuev. There theory was that Valuev is more dangerous when you are attacking. Haye wanted to pick off about 10 punches per round.

Also apparently Haye broke his hand in the third round, so was also limited by that. Overall though, I think Haye did the nation proud!!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Haye won the decision in a lackluster fight. Luckily for Don King, he was a promotor so he has options on this mess.

JUst seen an interview with one of Haye's trainers, basically it was Haye's tactic to keep out of the way on Valuev. There theory was that Valuev is more dangerous when you are attacking. Haye wanted to pick off about 10 punches per round.

Also apparently Haye broke his hand in the third round, so was also limited by that. Overall though, I think Haye did the nation proud!!!

It was more of a UK fight than even here in the US. Sadly for Haye, and the boxing public, John Ruiz may get the first shot at Haye when healthy. That instantly means a draw, and a second title fight with Ruiz. Don King is well, "Don King".

Archived