Interesting story about Brian Burke's son

charger77

Read it last night. Gotta say, I tip my hat to the kid. Always good to see a coming out story that has a happy ending when it comes to how the family dealt with it. Unfortunately, it isn't always like that, but I hope it helps to inspire others who are confused or scared to put on a brave face. It also makes me wonder which players, past or present, have had to hide who they truly are. Hopefully one day they can feel secure enough to be who they really are.

Now, can anyone name any 'confirmed bachelors' off the top of their heads? lol

Ive heard Adam Oates was, and Ive long suspected Caps pbp man Joe Beninati to be.

Beninati??? What are your "suspicions" based on?

the fact that hes well in his 40's and he's still considered single, ive met the man in person quite a few times, and I dunno ive just had these sneaking suspicions for a long time. Of course if he came out it wouldnt change a thing the guys great at his job (considered one of the best in the business imho). I dont want to place any stereotypes and I dont know anything for sure about him, ive just had these suspicions.

I can respect that explanation, but there are plenty of straight guys in their upper 30's, 40's, etc who are single...I mean the guy has a career where he's on the road most days of the week. Perhaps he recognizes he is best suited not juggling the career and a personal life as the same time. I'm just sayin'.

Of course. The guy does hockey pretty much every night (when hes not for CSN he is for Versus) calls College Football, basketball, lacrosse, pretty much everything and I understand that, its just a bit odd to me. I dont want to make any false stereotypes ive just had sneaking suspicions over the years, and ive been watching him since he started calling Caps games regularly, thats all.

Oh, I understand what you are saying...But I don't really buy that one. Not enough evidence....Now, Oates....that one I've heard, quite a bit.

I hope for the day when this isn't a story; when a player's partner's gender will just be a side note in his bio. Until then, it's news because people other than Brian and Brendan Burke have made it that way.

+1

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

I hope for the day when this isn't a story; when a player's partner's gender will just be a side note in his bio. Until then, it's news because people other than Brian and Brendan Burke have made it that way.

+1

x2

I saw, I came, I left.

I love the fact that people say to treat gays, etc. like normal human beings, so when you do and you say that a story about someone being gay isn't a story and doesn't matter, you get criticized. Nice little double standard there. I don't care who's gay or who's son is gay, because like I stated, I don't care. I love the fact that I stated I don't care because it doesn't mean anything to me, and yet when someone said that they can't wait for the day when this is a non-story, people agree with that. Huh? To me it's a non-story, because I treat all people the same, with class and respect. I don't look at color or sexual orientation. We all have struggles, and the only reason that this guy got a report was because he is Brian Burke's son. Let's be honest with ourselves here. There are plenty of straight, gay, white, black, or whatever people who have bigger struggles in life than Brian Burke's son does, but they don't have a hockey GM's father, so they don't get write ups. The only reason this kid got a write up was because he's Brian Burke's son.

I love the fact that people say to treat gays, etc. like normal human beings, so when you do and you say that a story about someone being gay isn't a story and doesn't matter, you get criticized. Nice little double standard there. I don't care who's gay or who's son is gay, because like I stated, I don't care. I love the fact that I stated I don't care because it doesn't mean anything to me, and yet when someone said that they can't wait for the day when this is a non-story, people agree with that. Huh? To me it's a non-story, because I treat all people the same, with class and respect. I don't look at color or sexual orientation. We all have struggles, and the only reason that this guy got a report was because he is Brian Burke's son. Let's be honest with ourselves here. There are plenty of straight, gay, white, black, or whatever people who have bigger struggles in life than Brian Burke's son does, but they don't have a hockey GM's father, so they don't get write ups. The only reason this kid got a write up was because he's Brian Burke's son.

If only the world was as black and white for me as it is for you. It is really not THAT simple.

You got criticized because you made an uneducated statement. Try reading the article then posting that you don't care about it. You have no idea what it says about the issue. It is not about Brian Burke's son. He may be the subject, but it is not about the son of a hockey executive. It is about a young man who left hockey because his teammates made it an uncomfortable environment for him. It is about the struggle for a young man to come out to his family because he had no idea how they'd react. It is about a young man deciding that he would risk his job to come out to his co-workers. The whole article is about a struggle that many, many, many people encounter. What makes this one so interesting is that it had a positive outcome which is not always the case. Not everyone has such an accepting family or work environment. Yes, everyone has their struggles.

Yes, the subject of focus may be the son of Brian Burke, but the article does not really focus on that aspect. If you read it, you would see that. He did get coverage because of his circumstance and at the same time, the story could have been one that talked about getting rejected by his family or being banished from hockey. It is a story about hope, it is a story of how things should be. One day, this won't be considered a story, that the situation Brendan endured will be more normal than a rarity and won't be something of interest. I'm sure you had no trouble telling your parents that you liked girls. I'm sure you never heard jokes about being into women. Yes, everyone has different problems but not everyone has to go through what most homosexuals do. We don't care about your feelings on Brian Burke, we care that you make claims with no basis.

Do you wonder why those who have read it made a comment on what you posted?

Maybe we would have left you alone had you said "I saw the title, didn't care for it, but decided to look it over regardless" instead of looking at a title without any real information as to what was contained underneath it. You cannot make such outlandish statements if you have nothing to base it on.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Oddball, you're right about the fact that this article gets more attention that it should because of who Brendan's father is, but you're missing the point.

The point is that it's a story because it's in the sports world, and I don't think you realize that homophobia is still a problem there.

It's the reason that Brendan gave up playing hockey in high school.

I really hope that one day I'll see a star player come out, and make a difference towards this issue. Until then, this a story.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

Archived