Interesting story about Brian Burke's son

charger77

Read it last night. Gotta say, I tip my hat to the kid. Always good to see a coming out story that has a happy ending when it comes to how the family dealt with it. Unfortunately, it isn't always like that, but I hope it helps to inspire others who are confused or scared to put on a brave face. It also makes me wonder which players, past or present, have had to hide who they truly are. Hopefully one day they can feel secure enough to be who they really are.

Now, can anyone name any 'confirmed bachelors' off the top of their heads? lol

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

Read it last night. Gotta say, I tip my hat to the kid. Always good to see a coming out story that has a happy ending when it comes to how the family dealt with it. Unfortunately, it isn't always like that, but I hope it helps to inspire others who are confused or scared to put on a brave face. It also makes me wonder which players, past or present, have had to hide who they truly are. Hopefully one day they can feel secure enough to be who they really are.

Ive heard Adam Oates was, and Ive long suspected Caps pbp man Joe Beninati to be.

duscarf2013.pngg6uheq4mgvrndguzuzak1pcte.gif
"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

http://keepdcunited.org

I've heard scattered rumors about Patrick Kane. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of athletes were gay.

I wonder if these Miami players would be as accepting of their teammate's homosexuality were his father not a prominent and influential executive in the NHL. Miami is a respectable program for NHL development, and "jerk who harassed/assaulted Brian Burke's poor gay son" isn't something you want on your scouting report. (You also don't want him to send Francois Beauchemin after you. Not just on the ice; he'll come right to your apartment.) It's no surprise that they'll talk a good game for an ESPN fluff piece. Had there been a gay statistician with more anonymity than Burke's son, who knows; maybe they would've hazed him a little bit before the coach pleasantly but firmly recommended that he modify his involvement with the team, or something euphemistic like that, and then swept the whole uncomfortable incident under the rug with the rest of the NCAA's ethically ambiguous athletic department incidents. Bumpy rug.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I knew what the story was about and I didn't read it because I don't care. I don't care for fluff make you feel good stories. I watch sports to watch sports. I don't see color of skin, I don't see sexual preference and I could care less how a person lives their life off the field. I don't care whose wife is pregnant, I don't care who's grandfather has died, and I surely don't care who's son likes whomever. I watch sports for sports, not for this extraneous stuff that they call stories. Report on the game and that's it, stop trying to be the Star or the Enquirer. Real sports fans don't care. If you're going to do a report on Brian Burke, do a report on why people think he's a good GM and what his results are. Tell me about who influenced Brian Burke and when he realized that going big and tough is the way to go. Don't report on his son's sexual preferences.

IMO, this is a whole lot more than a "Hey, look, this GM's son is gay" type story. I read it as an acceptance story. It's a feel good story, so to speak, because sadly, not all kids are treated like Brendan when they admit they are homosexual.

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

This column about Brendan Burke is far more relevant to the sports world than a few of you would like to believe.

I lived in the closet for almost a decade, terrified that there was something wrong with me. Terrified of what my friends, my family, would think of me. Terrified on how the world would treat me.

That fear consumed my life, and it snowballed every goddmned second I held it in.

It really kills me inside that Brendan had to give up his dreams because of the fear of people finding out his secret. He's not alone.

Few have been able to keep their secret for their whole career... a feat so amazing in my mind, because of the homophobia that still exists in the team sports world.

Maybe I'm biased, since I can relate a little from his experience... but it's a great story of how Brendan has been able to stay involved in the sport he loves while releasing the burdens of being in the closet.

And for the blind people who ignore or deny the existence of homophobia I'll remind you of this gem.

"You know, I hate gay people, so I let it be known... I don't like gay people and I don't like to be around gay people. I am homophobic. I don't like it. It shouldn't be in the world or in the United States." -Tim Hardaway

It's a little extreme, but still, Tim is not alone in these opinions.

ccslcbanner_zps5eda8538.jpg

I knew what the story was about and I didn't read it because I don't care. I don't care for fluff make you feel good stories. I watch sports to watch sports. I don't see color of skin, I don't see sexual preference and I could care less how a person lives their life off the field. I don't care whose wife is pregnant, I don't care who's grandfather has died, and I surely don't care who's son likes whomever. I watch sports for sports, not for this extraneous stuff that they call stories. Report on the game and that's it, stop trying to be the Star or the Enquirer. Real sports fans don't care. If you're going to do a report on Brian Burke, do a report on why people think he's a good GM and what his results are. Tell me about who influenced Brian Burke and when he realized that going big and tough is the way to go. Don't report on his son's sexual preferences.

If you don't care then keep your trap shut. This kind of story has its appeal and you seem to forget that. It would not have been written had it been thought that people would not bother to read it. This is not just a fluff piece. It is a feel good story because someone has overcome adversity to find a way to succeed. He is a perfect example of how things SHOULD be, not how they are. This kind of story could influence others to attempt the same thing, to feel that not everyone reacts the same way Hardaway did.

Braden shows exactly why this article was written and why people care about this story.

If you don't, that's fine, just keep it to yourself.

neonmatrix_leafs2.gif

Because Korbyn Is Colour Blind, My Signature Is Now Idiot Proof - Thanks Again Braden!!

Go Leafs Go!

I love when people do this. Don't read the article, but then post like they know what it's all about. I think what you're trying to get at is what Brian Burke himself said in the article, "I hope the day comes, and soon, when this is not a story." A good thought, but until that day comes, we'll continue to see stories like this regardless of whether or not Oddball from CCSLC thinks they're in the appropriate forum.

And to your point, I completely disagree. I'm a sports fan, I like stats, but there is SO much more about sports that interests me besides the numbers and most of those interests deals with the real human emotions that come into play. How many times have we seen an athlete elevate his/her game when something bigger is on the line? Without these human interest stories off the field, there wouldn't be anything interesting to watch on the field. I wouldn't expect you to understand though because I'm pretty sure you're the guy who doesn't believe in intangibles.

Brian Burke didn't come across as thrilled that his son is being so public about his sexuality, but admired his courage for being a trailblazer. If John Buccigross doesn't write the article then Brendan Burke doesn't get the exposure for the gay person working in sports that he desires. If all we ever hear about are stats then we'll miss out on a lot of learning experiences.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Sorry, sports aren't just games. They're an ingrained part of our culture, and they bring about some of the greatest connections anyone can ever experience and lessons anyone can ever learn. And they also carry a unique ability to set the bar for progress.

So no, Oddball, "real" sports fans don't just care about the scores, etc. If they did, I think very few people would care at all.

It's a great story, and I hope it's a message of progress that keeps on spreading--in hockey, in sports, and in the world.

I hope for the day when this isn't a story; when a player's partner's gender will just be a side note in his bio. Until then, it's news because people other than Brian and Brendan Burke have made it that way.

Buy some t-shirts and stuff at KJ Shop!

KJ BrandedBehance portfolio

POTD 2013-08-22

On 7/14/2012 at 2:20 AM, tajmccall said:

When it comes to style, ya'll really should listen to Kev.

How the hell is this an interesting story? So the son of some guy who works in the NHL is gay, big f-n deal.

It is an interesting story because how many openly gay people can you name in college or pro sports. Many feel the need to hide it but this seems to be a feel good story. In the hocky fan circle people make Brian Burke out to be some sort of A-hole but at the end of the day he ends up being a decent guy. Also, the son is a member of a college team. I would imagine that it would be tougher for a gay person to be involved with college sports due to the maturity level of the age of those athletes.

This is not something we as fans hear about at all, most major sporting news outlets are covering this story and it has sparked a lot of interest in the CCSLC, I'd say it is a story of interest.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Ive heard Adam Oates was, and Ive long suspected Caps pbp man Joe Beninati to be.

Beninati??? What are your "suspicions" based on?

the fact that hes well in his 40's and he's still considered single, ive met the man in person quite a few times, and I dunno ive just had these sneaking suspicions for a long time. Of course if he came out it wouldnt change a thing the guys great at his job (considered one of the best in the business imho). I dont want to place any stereotypes and I dont know anything for sure about him, ive just had these suspicions.

"I don't understand where you got this idea so deeply ingrained in your head (that this world) is something that you must impress, cause I couldn't care less"

the fact that hes well in his 40's and he's still considered single, ive met the man in person quite a few times, and I dunno ive just had these sneaking suspicions for a long time. Of course if he came out it wouldnt change a thing the guys great at his job (considered one of the best in the business imho). I dont want to place any stereotypes and I dont know anything for sure about him, ive just had these suspicions.

I can respect that explanation, but there are plenty of straight guys in their upper 30's, 40's, etc who are single...I mean the guy has a career where he's on the road most days of the week. Perhaps he recognizes he is best suited not juggling the career and a personal life as the same time. I'm just sayin'.

I can respect that explanation, but there are plenty of straight guys in their upper 30's, 40's, etc who are single...I mean the guy has a career where he's on the road most days of the week. Perhaps he recognizes he is best suited not juggling the career and a personal life as the same time. I'm just sayin'.

Of course. The guy does hockey pretty much every night (when hes not for CSN he is for Versus) calls College Football, basketball, lacrosse, pretty much everything and I understand that, its just a bit odd to me. I dont want to make any false stereotypes ive just had sneaking suspicions over the years, and ive been watching him since he started calling Caps games regularly, thats all.

Archived