Tulsa WNBA Franchise Holding "Name the Team" Contest

nitroseed

If you care about those sorts of things... Tulsa's WNBA franchise is holding a vote for the team's nickname. It's down to three options (from the website):

The name of the WNBA's Tulsa team is in the hands of the fans! Cast your vote for your favorite name:

Tulsa Shock: The Shock is the name of team that is being relocated from Detroit to Tulsa. Though its roots are tied to Detroit?s auto industry and NBA team, the Pistons, the name has multiple connotations and uses. ?Shock? also can mean a sudden or intense impact, and also a ?shock of wheat,? highlighting Oklahoma agriculture.

Tulsa Fire: The name Fire represents a couple different things. First, it is drawn from Oklahoma sunsets, many of which are orange to red in color and look like fire in the sky. It can also refer to the basketball term ?on fire.?

Tulsa Tempo: Tempo refers to speed at which the game is played due to the 24-second shot clock. It is a fast-paced style of basketball where tempo is a major component to success. In addition, it reflects The Tulsa Sound, a musical mixture of Rockabilly, Rock ?n? Roll, Country and Blues, which originated in Tulsa in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

Fans can vote once a day through Dec. 13th. The new name and logo will be announced in January so check back for details.

You can vote here if you feel so inclined: http://www.wnba.com/webAction?actionId=surveyInitializeIntegrated&target=/tulsa/name_the_team.jsp&surveyId=1820

Personally, I think they should have named themselves the Tulsa Lightning, to compliment the OKC Thunder, but that's just me.

They're all bad names for one reason or another, but at least "Shock" maintains continuity with a team that won a title.

Tempo refers to speed at which the game is played due to the 24-second shot clock.

This sentence doesn't make any sense. "Tempo" doesn't inherently mean "fast," and the shot clock doesn't necessarily dictate the pace of the game. You can play downtempo basketball with a 24-second clock. Ask Mike Fratello. Just say "it's alliterative" if that's why you picked it.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

They're all bad names for one reason or another, but at least "Shock" maintains continuity with a team that won a title.

Tempo refers to speed at which the game is played due to the 24-second shot clock.

This sentence doesn't make any sense. "Tempo" doesn't inherently mean "fast," and the shot clock doesn't necessarily dictate the pace of the game. You can play downtempo basketball with a 24-second clock. Ask Mike Fratello. Just say "it's alliterative" if that's why you picked it.

Or it could mean this.

1990-94-Ford-Tempo-92113321990710.jpg

1990 FORD TEMPO

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Tulsa Fire: The name Fire represents a couple different things. First, it is drawn from Oklahoma sunsets, many of which are orange to red in color and look like fire in the sky. It can also refer to the basketball term "on fire."

Personally, I think they should have named themselves the Tulsa Lightning, to compliment the OKC Thunder, but that's just me.

Couldn't you just replace "Oklahoma" with just about any other state in the union? Orange-to-red sunsets aren't exclusive to OK. Plus, wasn't there a failed Portland WNBA franchise with the same name?

And nothing could ever compliment the OKC Thunder.

cv2TCLZ.png

"I secretly hope people like that hydroplane into a wall." - Dennis "Big Sexy" Ittner

POTD - 7/3/14

Wow, a nitroseed posting? Did hell freeze over? LOL

Gotta go with Shock. It's already the team name, Fire was the name of the defunct Portland WNBA franchise, and "Tempo" is just silly. If they wanted to represent the "Tulsa Sound" then why not just call them the Tulsa Sound? Why do folks feel the need to try to outthink the room. The people of Detroit aren't going to be all up in arms like the Seattelites were about taking "their" name to the Great Plains. Keep the name, keep the colors. No need to blow up the budget.

On January 16, 2013 at 3:49 PM, NJTank said:

Btw this is old hat for Notre Dame. Knits Rockne made up George Tip's death bed speech.

Well they could play off of the baseball team's name, and become the...

Tulsa Drillees

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

That was a good one.

Incidentally, it's insane how nice that new Tulsa arena is. Practically palatial. I'd say it's nice enough to lure an NHL tenant, but it's Tulsa.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Like many of you, I want them to keep "Shock". None of them make sense anyway, so what the hell. Hopefully none of the players get Tulsa Shock Syndrome. I didn't even know/remember that the Shock were moving. Was there a WNBA rule this year saying all the good teams had to move or fold?

Archived