A few NCAAF concepts, Bowl style

elliott

Hey guys, how is everyone doing, I haven't been posting much, but I've been pretty damn busy. However, I have winter break coming up, and I'm pretty much done with college applications, so you'll be seeing more of me in the coming month (whether you like it or not :))

The last few concepts I put out there were all NCAA fixes, nothing major for any of them. I decided I wanted to do a little more. I'd been admiring nyy's concepts and his use of andrewharrington's template, so I took the socks and undershirt from that template and combined it with my own altered version of Bucco's template. I came up with a pro combat template that I have enjoyed working with. But don't think I'm going to be confined to just pro combat templates, that's not my style. I'll be mixing it up and coming up with my own nike cuts. The first two concepts you see both follow the pro combat jersey cut, with a different cut of pants, although one is inspired by the pants look of ohio state and oklahoma and those teams. SO I think overall you will find that I will stick with modern templates that are INSPIRED by what nike has come out with, but I'll be working with my own jerseys cuts for the most part and coming up with new designs.

First up, we don't actually have a bowl game. It's the ACC championship. A little late but I started these concepts on saturday. I hate GT's unis (especially the rarely used gold unis), and not just cause I'm a UGA fan, so i set out to fix them. First off I updated the logo. I didn't use the GT logo on this concept, but I did use a new version of the yellow jacket, obviously it's not incredibly different, but it's cleaned up and actually has a standardized color scheme. I had trouble finding the shade of old gold I wanted because the shade they used last season was putrid and what they used before that was too light for my tastes. I think I ended up with the shade I wanted but I could still tweak that. The pants are a throwback to the old unis (with a more modern looking cutoff), but I reversed the stripes to better match the offset stroke on the jersey. The jersey striping also mimics this, with a navy base and either gold or white offset from it. The helmet has the new bee. One more thing would be simply the fact that this concept features GT in a nike template, they are usually russell athletic as you know. I just cannot stand what russell has done to the team, so I figured nike was more appropriate (all of these concepts will be nike though).

GT_logo_update.gif

GTConcept2009.gif

And now the loser of the championship, Clemson. Great color scheme for this school, although I don't really know why they sometimes bring in navy instead of purple. The unis right now are getting there, but the piping on the jersey kills it for me when compared to the traditional pants. Plus, the orange-white-orange pants stripe on the white base doesn't really match the stripes on the orange and purple bases. I changed that. The pants stripe is very pro combat. i kept the simplicity on the uniforms, not changing much, but I added a stripe that mimics the pants on the undershirts (not everyone would be wearing these of course, but I thought it was a good touch for a more boring jersey). Yeah...that's about it....this was more of a clean up job. I included 2 pants combo for each jersey and excluded the 3 combos that I liked the least, however I think any one of the pants would look good with the white jersey.

Clemson2009_h.gif

Clemson2009_a.gif

Clemson2009_alt.gif

Ok guys, hopefully you like these concepts and this series, I don't know how far I will take it, but my goal is to get at least 5 bowl games done after this ACC warmup, so at least 10 more concepts. Next, expect the Rose Bowl, but I also plan to do TCU and Boise in the Fiesta. The other 3 BCS games won't be touched, except of course Tech, so you will have half the BCS teams by the end. Anyhow, give me some comments and criticism, I appreciate it.

I like the GT logo update, and the colors work well. The quasi-classic striping also works well. It does look a bit bland, however. A chest logo or wordmark would help fix that right up, though.

Clemson also looks very nice. The classic style striping looks very nice, and works well on the procombat template. Once again a logo or wordmark on the jersey would fit very nicely in my opinion.

So far so good, and I'm glad that you didn't go overboard with these two procombat concepts.

TDZiMMB.png

I think both look really good. I think the GT logo should be used somewhere, though. I also would do contrasting color undershirts, at least with the gold GT and purple Clemson sets. I have concepts basically done for both teams, as well, but mine are much different, especially Georgia Tech. Very nice job on both of these.

MegatronSig2.jpg

Ok, now, the Rose Bowl.

We have the pac 10 and big 10 champs here, and they happen to have the same initial, so two big O's here.

Oregon is an attempt to expand an idea I had for the team and a concept I made for them a while back, meh, I don't feel like linking to it. But basically I put it on a more pro-combat template, it ends up looking like a very refined version of what they wore last year. the pants are new, though, and I used 4 monochrome combos here, with 2 socks options, everything is interchangable, so what is that, 128 combinations? Someone who is good at math should help me out. I like the way the undershirts and socks came out.

Oregon2009_1.gif

Oregon2009_2.gif

Ok, so for THE Ohio State University I experimented with dropping black from the scheme. The block O is added on the helmet, jerseys, and pants. The pants are my attempt at spicing it up a little. Font is custom.

OhioState2009.gif

So if you would be so kind, hit me up with some c + c. Next we might have the Fiesta Bowl.

GT: Great logo update, really like the pants, and the jersey striping I'm a bit iffy on (not a particular fan of the double stripe). Helmet looks a bit plain with just the logo on it. I'd add a stripe or two.

Clemson: Nothing too drastic here which is disappointing, but it looks solid.

Oregon: My least favorite. The black just looks extremely out of place on all uniforms. The yellow looks too pukish to me. I like the template and style, but I think this would look amazing if you went with the old-style green,yellow, and white explicitly (like what they used for pro combat).

Ohio State: Probably my favorite, love the gray and red, everything works well together.

Can't wait to see more.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

I'd still love to get a few more comments on the preceding concepts but for now I'll move on to the Fiesta Bowl.

There are a few things I like about Boise State's uniforms right now, like the number font and the striping coming off the collar. But, I hate the pants and the disconnected butt stripe, the gray, the inconsistency of the part under the back numbers, and the lack of the orange that was so recognizable after the Fiesta Bowl victory over Oklahoma. I went with a non pro combat template but something that I could see Nike using. It's pretty simple but I was trying to keep it clean.

BoiseSt2009.gif

While Boise State is simple in it's modern design, I did not use the same thinking with TCU. I liked nike bringing in the frog texture, it was just really cool. I tried to show that here, but it doesn't have quite the same two-tone effect as in real life, so try to envision it, it was hard to render. But yeah, I expanded on the color scheme that nike played with a little for pro combat, the new colors are purple, black, dark gray, and medium gray. Helmet drops the red stripes, which is cool for alt but doesn't really work for every day use. The frog moves from the helmet to the arms. The gray pants would be worn with the purple jerseys and not the whites, while the purple pants would not be worn with the purple jerseys.

TCU2009_h.gif

TCU2009_a.gif

Yep, so that's that, give me some feedback, please, and I'll be posting the next one soon. I hope you like it.

These all look really great Elliot! I guess I'll just leave my thoughts on all of them since I haven't commented yet.

Georgia Tech - This is a huge upgrade over what they have now, and its a nice modern touch to a classic feeling uniform. The only thing I can think off that would make this better is maybe adding a white Helmet option.

Clemson - No complaints at all, this is what their normal uniforms should look like now.

Oregon - This one is probably my least favorite...I don't really like all of the black, I think Oregon look's a lot better without it, but thats just my opinion, also maybe add a piping too the pants to match the socks and undershirt?

Ohio State - Look's Great! The pants are kind of out there but they still look pretty cool.

Boise State - I like what you did here just because I know it's pretty hard to come up with designs like this for the Nike Pro Combat cuts. Another Upgrade though.

TCU - Another Upgrade, really the only thing I could see you doing different with this is adding the Skin pattern inside the stripes on the Helmet.

Looking foward to the rest of the concepts...do you think you will do anything different for the National Championship teams? :P

Check out my new NFL 2016 Series!

Sorry, I've been following but haven't commented.

GT: Updated logo looks great! I like the jerseys but I'd lose the double-outline on the numbers. I don't really like the pants stripe as it doesn't match the jersey and I just don't like how it abruptly ends. I'd like to see gold pants.

Clemson: Very nice, nothing to complain about.

Oregon: I would change the numbers on the green and black jerseys to white or yellow. I would also add yellow piping to separate the shoulder color from the jersey, to unify the set with the socks/undershirt. The yellow-on-white jersey is a little hard to read.

OSU: Love the jerseys, the pants are pretty crazy but I actually like them.

Boise St: I'm not a big fan of the jerseys as they remind me of suspenders. I do like the pants stripe.

TCU: Wow, this is awesome! I love the texture! I would add it to the helmet stripe. Also, I think the frog should always face forward on the shoulders.

These are all very good and well thought out, and I'm looking forward to more!

Boise - Really like this, the only thing that's bugging me is the under armour striping. Those stripes on the long sleeves just make it overload for me, and it looks too hectic, if you know what I mean. I'd just make 'em plain sleeves under, don't try to overdo it.

TCU - My favorite, by far. I just absolutely love it, exactly what pro combat unis should look like IMO. Only thing I'd look into changing is the color of the horned frog on the purple jersey especially, it's hard to see. Maybe just flip the colors white-gray.

spacer.png

erikas | go birds | dribbble 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived