If I were commish of.....

Saintsfan

What would I do if some lunatic decided I was the best person to control the game of Basketball?

• I would consider contraction, of at least 2 teams
  • Get owners to sign an agreement not to fire coaches till after 20 games of the season
  • Make the all star game the trade deadline
  • Play game 7 of the NBA Championship series at a neutral venue (if it gets that far!)
  • Ban celebrities from courtside at Lakers games

A few notes of explanation, first off I am not convinced that the quality of play is as high as it could be at the moment. Take out 2 teams, standards would rise a little.

Firing a coach before even a quarter of the season has gone, to me is just crazy. IF you want to fire a coach do it before the start of the season or give the guy a chance.

Personally I kind of think that once the all star game is over it should just be a scrap for playoff places and positioning. Push the all star game back a few weeks if you like, But once that is over have that as the starting gun for the run to the playoffs.

Number 4 is probably the most controversial, and I am not sure in my mind if it is really workable, but given that the 2 teams in the series are playing in different conferences, I am not sure how fair a comparison the records are. Take it to a neutral court, maybe the same one each year (Madison Square Garden, if the Knicks aren't involved? Or alternate between MSG and the Staples Center?Something like that) Have 3 or 4 days between games to allow for build up, and for a little bit of last minute arranging travel. Just an idea!!!

The last one is a bit flippant, but it annoys the hell out of me about how many hanger on celebrity fans the Lakers have, especially when they are doing well. I might just let Jack Nicholson keep his seat, but others have to sit in the bleachers, well away from the cameras for 3 or 4 seasons before they can get courtside tickets!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

What would I do if some lunatic decided I was the best person to control the game of Basketball?

• I would consider contraction, of at least 2 teams
  • Get owners to sign an agreement not to fire coaches till after 20 games of the season
  • Make the all star game the trade deadline
  • Play game 7 of the NBA Championship series at a neutral venue (if it gets that far!)
  • Ban celebrities from courtside at Lakers games

A few notes of explanation, first off I am not convinced that the quality of play is as high as it could be at the moment. Take out 2 teams, standards would rise a little.

Firing a coach before even a quarter of the season has gone, to me is just crazy. IF you want to fire a coach do it before the start of the season or give the guy a chance.

Personally I kind of think that once the all star game is over it should just be a scrap for playoff places and positioning. Push the all star game back a few weeks if you like, But once that is over have that as the starting gun for the run to the playoffs.

Number 4 is probably the most controversial, and I am not sure in my mind if it is really workable, but given that the 2 teams in the series are playing in different conferences, I am not sure how fair a comparison the records are. Take it to a neutral court, maybe the same one each year (Madison Square Garden, if the Knicks aren't involved? Or alternate between MSG and the Staples Center?Something like that) Have 3 or 4 days between games to allow for build up, and for a little bit of last minute arranging travel. Just an idea!!!

The last one is a bit flippant, but it annoys the hell out of me about how many hanger on celebrity fans the Lakers have, especially when they are doing well. I might just let Jack Nicholson keep his seat, but others have to sit in the bleachers, well away from the cameras for 3 or 4 seasons before they can get courtside tickets!

First of all, I'm not so sure that last one will work. No, I take that back. I'm pretty damn sure that last one will not work at all. One, if they pay for the seats (or otherwise acquire the tickets), then they can sit wherever they want and so long as they don't interfere with the game, nobody can tell them otherwise. Besides, they're celebs. To even attempt to exclude them is to bring massive discrimination cases against the league. You'd only be hurting the Association. I think a better idea would be to get rid of courtside seats altogether. I've never seen much of a point to seats that close anyway and I've been in them before. <_<

I agree with number 4 and recognize the problems. I would think that a centralized place, where both teams would have to deal with a time-zone change, would be the best choice, but that's not taking the venue and other factors into account.

Which two teams would you discontinue and what would you do with the players of those teams? Also, what would you tell the fans of those teams? You'd have to come up with a better explanation than what you have now.

No comment on the other issues. My only change would be to mandate that incoming rookies would have to be at least 3 years out of high school before they could be considered for the draft. I think that's a much bigger issue than the rest you've listed.

Which two teams would you discontinue and what would you do with the players of those teams? Also, what would you tell the fans of those teams? You'd have to come up with a better explanation than what you have now.

No comment on the other issues. My only change would be to mandate that incoming rookies would have to be at least 3 years out of high school before they could be considered for the draft. I think that's a much bigger issue than the rest you've listed.

If I were to seriously think of contraction, I would probably announce that it would happen in say 3 or 4 years time, and that a decision about which teams would be contracted would be taken before the start of the season before it happens (or maybe during that season?)

I don't know exactly who would be for the chop, maybe Oklahoma and Memphis? I dunno exactly?

I think the point you make on the draft is a good one. But then again certain players have come straight out of high school and done very well. I think if they do come straight out of high school, they should make some kind of contract to either do community work or to get some extra form of part time education whilst playing in the NBA.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Play game 7 of the NBA Championship series at a neutral venue (if it gets that far!)

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing you've proposed yet, and that's saying a lot.

1. Teams play for home court advantage, and should be able to take advantage of it.

2. You'd have some city / venue to all of the planning required for such an event (including getting the arena ready, having hotels blocked off, etc.) for a game that may not happen, or would happen with only a couple of days notice?

3. You'd make it impossible for the fans of the teams involved to actually make it to the game, as they would have no time to make plans to travel and take off of work.

4. There's no real home court advantage in basketball like there is in football or some other sports. Everyone wants to play in front of their fans (usually), but it's not a big deal.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

If I were to seriously think of contraction, I would probably announce that it would happen in say 3 or 4 years time, and that a decision about which teams would be contracted would be taken before the start of the season before it happens (or maybe during that season?)

I don't know exactly who would be for the chop, maybe Oklahoma and Memphis? I dunno exactly?

I think the point you make on the draft is a good one. But then again certain players have come straight out of high school and done very well. I think if they do come straight out of high school, they should make some kind of contract to either do community work or to get some extra form of part time education whilst playing in the NBA.

I'd say that the ratio of high schoolers that do well compared to the ones that don't is too even to say that its a good idea, and the one year rule has already caused problems at the collegiate level since potential NBAers aren't worried too much about grades or NCAA rules and regulations. There will always be a handful of players who can make that jump right away, but one kid already proved that playing overseas is a reasonable alternative to college.

Play game 7 of the NBA Championship series at a neutral venue (if it gets that far!)

This is quite possibly the most ridiculous thing you've proposed yet, and that's saying a lot.

1. Teams play for home court advantage, and should be able to take advantage of it.

2. You'd have some city / venue to all of the planning required for such an event (including getting the arena ready, having hotels blocked off, etc.) for a game that may not happen, or would happen with only a couple of days notice?

3. You'd make it impossible for the fans of the teams involved to actually make it to the game, as they would have no time to make plans to travel and take off of work.

4. There's no real home court advantage in basketball like there is in football or some other sports. Everyone wants to play in front of their fans (usually), but it's not a big deal.

I get that the logistics of this are not easy! BUT take the NFL playoffs, teams have only a week between the divisional round and the conference championship to cope, and that is with a staff of 60+ and many more fans than the NBA would have in tow. There are at least 4 cities planning in that case for a game that may not happen, presumably all 6 that might host a conference championship game must plan for it. Give the NBA finalists adequate notice of where the game will be, they can make the planning, the fans can make tentative travel arrangements, at least, and off you go. Doesn't seem the hardest thing ever. And yes a venue would make preparations for a game that may not happen, but again the host of the 7th game would have to do that anyway. And just imagine the glamour of a 7th game at MSG,or the Staples Center or wherever, for the NBA title, it would make for great TV ratings, great excitement around the game. I get that its a difficult idea to put into practice, but what the heck, I don't suppose David Stern is ever going to read it anyway!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Please stop having bad sports thoughts. It pains my ass so bad.

I would consider contraction, of at least 2 teams

Players' union won't allow it without roster expansions, and no commissioner would wave the white flag like that. They'll just keep shuffling teams through various one-team cowtowns in hopes that the NBA will take off in places where too many people call it a "thug league."

- Get owners to sign an agreement not to fire coaches till after 20 games of the season

Why? What if their coach really sucks? Why can't they be allowed to make decisions in the best interests of their teams?

- Make the all star game the trade deadline

Whatever. I always felt the deadline came too early in the NBA. I'd put it as close to the 60-game mark as possible.

- Play game 7 of the NBA Championship series at a neutral venue (if it gets that far!)

Logistical nightmare, and they play for home court (though BBTV is wrong that it doesn't matter in the NBA. the refs are putty in the hands of big loud crowds). The glamour of Game 7 in Staples Center can be on display when the Lakers are in the Finals.

- Ban celebrities from courtside at Lakers games

They have tickets to sit there. Jack's been buying season tickets for years. How do you determine who gets kicked out of their seats? Are B-listers okay? Do you realize that if you moved Will Smith to the bleachers and let some random guy keep his seat, you would have the public relations :censored:storm of the millennium? Do you think when you post? I'm convinced once and for all that you don't.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I have honestly thought about this a few times... and i think i would get rid of all the taunting and the celebrating. I understand in the heat of battle giving a fist pump or a high five, but all the yelling and chest pounding and the thing Darius Miles and Quinton Richardson used to do with the "alien horns" or whatever.

I hate seeing all the show boating. I understand its a game, and it should be fun... but i think we have lost the sense of modesty and class in sports. I have fought with that idea a lot and i can see the argument for both sides. I think there needs to be some sort of regulation on it. it starts to take away from the game.

That is really the only reasonable and fair thing i think i can think of right now.

_CLEVELANDTHATILOVEIndians.jpg

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm not sure i would even consider that a technical foul. Like i said, there would have to be a level of understanding to it. Buzzer beating shot in the playoffs to give some energetic fist pumps... i can deal with that.

But a regular season, meaningless game buzzer beater where you stand on the announcers tables and pull your jersey off... that i think is a little much. It would be a tough rule to judge and would have to be up to the discretion of a committee and the officials in the game.

SAINT IGNATIUS WILDCATS | CLEVELAND BROWNS | CLEVELAND CAVALIERS | CLEVELAND INDIANS | THE OHIO STATE BUCKEYES

I'm not sure i would even consider that a technical foul. Like i said, there would have to be a level of understanding to it. Buzzer beating shot in the playoffs to give some energetic fist pumps... i can deal with that.

But a regular season, meaningless game buzzer beater where you stand on the announcers tables and pull your jersey off... that i think is a little much. It would be a tough rule to judge and would have to be up to the discretion of a committee and the officials in the game.

There is no way in hell I would every put something that subjective in the hands of the refs.

Although regular season games do count... :rolleyes:

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is no way in hell I would every put something that subjective in the hands of the refs.

Well, to your first point... all fouls, technical fouls, and flagrant fouls are all subjective too ya know? It would kind of an extension of that.

For your second point, i agree MOST regular season games count, but towards the end of the season where a team isn't in the playoffs, and is getting beat by a decent amount of point... to have a break-away dunk and then sit there and flex at the crowd or pull your jersey to the side... stuff like that, i don't think there should be room in the game for it.

Well, to your first point... all fouls, technical fouls, and flagrant fouls are all subjective too ya know? It would kind of an extension of that.

There is a much more objective basis for assessing the fouls than celebration penalties-especially if you are intentionally building in a gray area. Based on the inconsistent implementation and administration of celebration penalties in other sports, I can't see the NBA doing any better at it.

For your second point, i agree MOST regular season games count, but towards the end of the season where a team isn't in the playoffs, and is getting beat by a decent amount of point... to have a break-away dunk and then sit there and flex at the crowd or pull your jersey to the side... stuff like that, i don't think there should be room in the game for it.

But it's fine if James does it in the last two weeks against Memphis or New Jersey, right?

You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

There is a much more objective basis for assessing the fouls than celebration penalties-especially if you are intentionally building in a gray area. Based on the inconsistent implementation and administration of celebration penalties in other sports, I can't see the NBA doing any better at it.

But it's fine if James does it in the last two weeks against Memphis or New Jersey, right?

Absolutely not. I was actually referring to LeBron up there with his flexing. For some reason, people think im a "homer" even though i just tell things like it is. I have no problem admitting when i'm wrong, not do i make the Cleveland teams any better than what they are. A homer builds a team up to more than what they are, and defends them even when they are wrong. i do NOT do that.

One of my biggest knocks on LeBron is how big of a baby he is. He expects every time a defense looks at him, that he should get a foul called for him. He always yells and complains. I HATE that. I also hate when he flexes his muscles to the crowd after getting an AND-1. The other thing i can't stand is his stupid, leg river dance he does during games. If i were officiating... i would call a T on him ever time i see it.

I understand cheering on your team... but doing a river dance when you are sitting on the bench is a bit much. I am a full supporter of you getting up off the bench and clapping and cheering your team, but LeBron takes it over the top.

One thing i love about Kobe is that when he celebrates, the majority of the time (from what i've seen) is that he just pumps his fist. He doesn't dance and do air guitar riffs. When he makes a game winner, he does put his arms up in victory, but i don't see anything wrong with that because he is not trying to show up the other team.

Again, I am having a problem with people calling me a "homer." Hell yes i am proud of where i come from, and i support my teams. But at no point have i made the Cleveland teams out to be anything more than what they are, nor have i defended them when they were wrong. To me, that is not a homer. I hope we can start clearing this up because it is frustrating.

First off, Admiral, BBTV relax a little! I am just throwing out ideas to stimulate thought and discussion!

The point of getting owners to hold off firing coaches is to end the ridiclous situation where a guy gets fired after 10 games or whatever. I think it's perfectly reasonable, if unlikely, to say to owners once you have figured a coach is the guy you want to start the season with, you owe it to that guy to give him a fair go! That seems fair to me!

My point on the seats at the Lakers ges is flippant, but it drivese nuts when celebs use leverage and fame to get good seats and the opportunity to publicize themselves!!

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

And just imagine the glamour of a 7th game at MSG,or the Staples Center or wherever, for the NBA title,

I am sure the hometown fans that can't shell out the bucks for airfare/hotel to NY or LA will be thrilled when they miss out on their team winning a championship. :rolleyes:

Hat Boy makes a good point, but then again they aren't guaranteed to see it now, if their team wins it on the road. It's not an idea I would expect to be taken up, but I do think if it did it would add a whole new angle to the NBA championship.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Hat Boy makes a good point, but then again they aren't guaranteed to see it now, if their team wins it on the road.

No, there are no guarantees, but if your team earned home-court advantage, season ticket holders should have the opportunity to witness a game 7 in person. Even if the home team loses, their fans get to be there.

I'd be a little salty if I were a life-long Mavericks fan/season ticket holder and the team won it's first NBA title in a game 7 "home game" at MSG.

Hat Boy makes a good point, but then again they aren't guaranteed to see it now, if their team wins it on the road.

No, there are no guarantees, but if your team earned home-court advantage, season ticket holders should have the opportunity to witness a game 7 in person. Even if the home team loses, their fans get to be there.

I'd be a little salty if I were a life-long Mavericks fan/season ticket holder and the team won it's first NBA title in a game 7 "home game" at MSG.

The point would be that you don't win home court advantage, at least for the finals series anymore. It would be a big change of mindset. And I go back to my point that is win loss record comparable across conferences? Is a team going say 60-22 in the Western conference the same as a team going 60-22 in the eastern conference? I am not sure that it is.

And it wouldn't be a 'home' game for anyone, it would be a neutral game, like the Superbowl is. And how often would it happen? Game 7s in the NBA championship series are exceedingly rare.

The other thing that occurs is that it guarantees having to win a game on a court oter than your home court.

From my point of view, logistically its very tough, but there are definite upsides.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

The point would be that you don't win home court advantage, at least for the finals series anymore. It would be a big change of mindset. And I go back to my point that is win loss record comparable across conferences? Is a team going say 60-22 in the Western conference the same as a team going 60-22 in the eastern conference? I am not sure that it is.

While the NBA schedule is unbalanced, it is probably the most balanced of the "Big 4" major leagues. In that regard, I would hold records as comparable across Conferences. Certainly there isn't enough difference to justify the logistical nightmare of a "neutered site" Game 7.

Today, we are all otaku.

Archived