NFL Picking the Playoffs

NJTank

http://sportsecyclopedia.com/tank/nfl09/nflpickswcard.html

Please post your picks for this weekend and your comments

AFC, I really do not care as I have already bought my ticket for SD. But the PHL/DAL game trend is that Andy Reid has not lost his first playoff game EVER. Regardless of what Ratliff, James, and Ware does, I think that the Eagles still have something to win.

GB@PHX is a pick'em, but that still is a PHX -3. I still think that PHX will win outright.

Are the Saints really 7 point favorites? :blink:

That seems like a lot, though they have no excuse not not to win. Arizona's tired, drained from an emotional win, and on the road on a short week. The Saints are rested and more healthy then they've been for many, many weeks, and playing in what is sure to be a raucous Superdome. Plus they're fired up because many of the pundits are writing them off because of the 3-game slide. I hope they roll but Arizona's going to be tough.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Personally I can see both games being relatively one sided. The Saints, to me, seem a big step up from the Cowboys for the Vikings, and whilst Favre has a lot of big game experience, not that many other people connected with the Vikes do. A lot depends if the Vikings can keep it tight relatively early I think.

The same pretty much can be said for the Colts/Jets match up (except of course Sanchez doesn't have the experience!) Can the Jets keep Manning quiet? The Colts don't have the running game of the other 3 Championship teams, and if Ryan and the Jets can find a formula to keep Manning quiet, then perhaps the Jets have a shot at one of the biggest playoff surprises since the most famous occasion of the Jets beating the Colts.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

A small correction. Fans did not wear bags or call the team the Aint's for most of the team's history. All that came about in the 1-15 season of 1980. Aside from that year, the Saints have enjoyed an amazing level of support in New Orleans since '67, especially considering the quality (or lack thereof) of the product on the field.

I'll make no predictions for this week but will observe that you called for Arizona to put up 34 on the Saints last week. They got 14 and 7 of those wouldn't have happened if Shanle's penalty hadn't wiped out Sharper's pick. The Saints' D gives up yards but they make plays when it counts. Look at their red zone stats vs. the pass. St. Brett doesn't do well under pressure. Greg Williams' defensive schemes are famous for...bringing pressure. So we'll see.

Then there's the Superdome crowd. Michael Vick, talking of the '06 "Return to the Superdome" game: "I never in my life heard a crowd roar so loud, " Vick said afterward. "It just goes to show the appreciation they have for having the New Orleans Saints back in the Dome, bringing football back to the city. I commend them for that. They deserve it."

I was there and he's not kidding. I've been going to games in the Superdome since it opened in '75 and I had never heard anything close to the volume when Steve Gleason blocked that punt. It was unbelievable and I have to think it'll be close to the same on Sunday.

More on the 'Dome field advantage:

Players, Coaches Describe Superdome Noise

Seems nothing much is being said either about the Vikes' last three road trips:

@ ARI L 30-17

@ CAR L 26-7

@ CHI L 36-30

Here's to hoping they make it 4 road losses in a row. :D

• 2 weeks later...

This is a Superbowl that could genuinely go either way. Yes Manning is one of the all time elite QBs, but the Saints have marginally better options along side Brees. (Better receivers, better running game etc). I think in the end it might come down to the Colts being more experienced in big games.

On the other hand the emotion of being the New Orleans Saints in the Superbowl, only a handful of years after Hurricane Katrina could give the Saints the emotional energy to push them over the edge!!

(BTW Tank, Manning is a 'signal caller' not a 'single caller'. Sorry to point out an error mind, but its the kind of mistake that rubs me up the wrong way!)

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

Super Bowl Guarentee:

New Orleans Saints blows out indy 56-17.

Drew Brees gets the MVP and is sainted by the Vatican as Saint Drew I

Wow...that's pretty bold! I hope you're right. I think people are overlooking a couple of things. First, the Colts played two 9-7 teams in the playoffs, and have they played anybody with an O like the Saints all year? They also have a LOT of rookies, from the WRs to the punter (kick it to Reggie!) to their secondary. That more than offsets the Saints being first-timers IMO.

Not to mention that the Saints are obviously far more hungry for a ring than a team that just won one a few years ago.

Archived