Target Field to Use Recycled Rain Water

Korkie

We have admired the Twins' new stadium for a long while now (see Twins' new wordmark thread). This article shows just another reason this will be among the best and most forward thinking stadiums in the game, both aesthetically and environmentally.

CNet Article

Link has a video of how system will work (note the new wordmark in use!).

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Dr. Kelso: My son is a big baseball fan. Not so much playing it, but more the designing and sewing of uniforms.

Tyler: That's neat.

Dr. Kelso: No, it's not.

Pretty cool, but Minnesota summers tend to be really dry. Not sure exactly how much they're expecting the rain water to contribute.

I think the point is to save water, even during the rainy season.

untitled21.jpg

Redskin IS a racist term, no matter how Daniel Snyder tries to spin it.

Great idea. Every new stadium built should have this type of system. Some could even retrofit it, though that would be more problematic and expensive. These venues could probably do some solar too, especially if you think about stadiums like the Superdome or the Cardinals' spaceship that have so much roof area.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Bravo to the Twins and the builder for incorporating such a system. Every little bit helps.

Great idea. Every new stadium built should have this type of system. Some could even retrofit it, though that would be more problematic and expensive. These venues could probably do some solar too, especially if you think about stadiums like the Superdome or the Cardinals' spaceship that have so much roof area.

The Great Lakes Loons (Single A Dodgers affiliate) in Midland Michigan have a scoreboard that is entirely run by solar power, and it's not a tiny scoreboard by any means. If they can do it, I'm sure MLB and NFL teams could incorporate a similar system.

Here's an article from when the stadium was built.

The problem with solar is the payback period. Even with tax credits, it takes many years before anyone saves enough money to make the purchase worth it. That doesn't include maintenance and up keep. I'm sure if it was economically viable, all if not most sports facilities would have some sort of solar generation.

I believe Coors Field's scoreboard has some solar elements.

When the technology becomes more efficient, I'm sure you will see stadia with large parking lots lease the airspace over the lot to utilities so they could install solar panels.

1997 | 2003

Archived