50th anni logo for my school

FGWB

Our newest class project is to design a 50th anniversary logo for my college. It must contain the 2 colors that these have, and must contain the number 50 and "A Beacon for Excellence" and these are my creations. C&C please.

Without number

no50.png

Century font

centuryu.png

Bernhard Modern Standard

bernhardmodernstd.png

Baskerville

baskerville.png

Apple Chancery

applechancery.png

bufg.png

Thanks, I actually did put a thicker stroke on the ribbon which looks better and I'm sure my teacher will say the same.

As for contrast I'm not sure if we can make the colors darker, but those are the specific CMYK color levels we were told to use.

bufg.png

With a shield in that shape, i've always been fond of creating a "50" like that of which was used in the Nascar 50th Anniversary logo, seen here:

nascar2.png

The AFL had many fantastic anniversary logos this year to take inspiration from, but remember to make yours unique, add elements to it that would connect people to the school...

As for contrast I'm not sure if we can make the colors darker, but those are the specific CMYK color levels we were told to use.

Then add some white. There is absolutely zero contrast between those particular shades. It'll be illegible unless you do something.

Thanks, I actually did put a thicker stroke on the ribbon which looks better and I'm sure my teacher will say the same.

Understood.

That being the case, throw some white in there. Maybe make the shield white with blue lettering and use the gray as an outlining color.

My advice, print it out 20 to 30mm wide and see if you can still read anything on there.

Personally I doubt you'll be able to, but it'll make you think about ways of fixing that. Yes working at sizes bigger than the logo will actually be used at can make things easier but ALWAYS remember that whatever you do if it doesn't work at the smallest required size then the logo fails it's that simple. No point in it looking great on a front cover if once it appears inside a magazine or leaflet at a reduced size it's illegible is there?

And I echo everything said about line weight and the addition of white to create contrast.

9erssteve

9ersstevesig.png

^ Looks great. After seeing your first one, I also was going to suggest more contrast for the colors. Great work. The 2011 looks a little crooked, but I love the shield shape, colors and especially the font for the "50".

87Redskins.png

Sorry but this doesn't do anything for me. It's a cliché concept that's poorly executed. The type is terrible, none of the warps match the ribbons, and the ribbons themselves have issues with the curves. The 50 is boring and pedestrian with the tight tracking and there's a lot of empty, wasted space. Plus when reduced down the type would be nearly illegible. The colors are fine but the majority of the badge being white doesn't really work. Do some research on other anniversary logos, and maybe try sketching some things first before rushing into illustrator.

OD_Signature.jpg

Sorry but this doesn't do anything for me. It's a cliché concept that's poorly executed. The type is terrible, none of the warps match the ribbons, and the ribbons themselves have issues with the curves. The 50 is boring and pedestrian with the tight tracking and there's a lot of empty, wasted space. Plus when reduced down the type would be nearly illegible. The colors are fine but the majority of the badge being white doesn't really work. Do some research on other anniversary logos, and maybe try sketching some things first before rushing into illustrator.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but the type in the logo I posted was created on the school computer and I don't have that font on my home laptop so Illustrator substituted the fonts.

Thanks alot for the tips though.

bufg.png

But did you actually read, aside from my comments about the font, any of my other comments? It's still got a lot of issues dude.

Did you read mine? I told you why the font and numbers aren't perfect and that I wasn't looking for more help with the mechanical details such as those. Just asking whether this color combination works better or worse.

bufg.png

But did you actually read, aside from my comments about the font, any of my other comments? It's still got a lot of issues dude.

Did you read mine? I told you why the font and numbers aren't perfect and that I wasn't looking for more help with the mechanical details such as those. Just asking whether this color combination works better or worse.

Yes, I read your reply about not having the same fonts. However, I know that won't affect how your fonts render when it comes to things like the warp in the ribbon, which you haven't addressed. You further didn't do anything to the 50 as I suggested, which is more than merely 'mechanical'. I stand by the fact that this concept is pedestrian, and that you should do some research and really try for something more unique. I'm not trying to be a dick, just trying to help push you a bit without giving you the answer.

OD_Signature.jpg

Archived