Native Americans In Sports

ltjets21

Honestly, I don't really have a problem with universities using the names of actual tribes that are native to the area... especially the lesser known ones. I still feel like the Huron tribe (of which some of my relatives are members) lost one of its best sources of visibility when Eastern Michigan dropped the Huron name. Of course, that assumes the university is representing the tribe in an accurate and dignified way... that means not dressing a white kid from Rockford in minstrel gear and having him do a mock ritual dance on the 50-yard line.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course, that assumes the university is representing the tribe in an accurate and dignified way... that means not dressing a white kid from Rockford in minstrel gear and having him do a mock ritual dance on the 50-yard line.

So, in other words you don't have anything intelligent to say?

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Of course, that assumes the university is representing the tribe in an accurate and dignified way... that means not dressing a white kid from Rockford in minstrel gear and having him do a mock ritual dance on the 50-yard line.

Try reading the entire post, not just the part that exposes you as a butthurt Chief Illinwek supporter :P

Try reading the entire post, not just the part that exposes you as a butthurt Chief Illinwek supporter :P

Yes, the rest of the post used reason without throwing out buzzwords. Props on that. B)

OldRomanSig2.jpg

For the record, the current Chief Illiniwek (who is obviously not affiliated with the University) is 50% Cherokee, not just some white kid from Rockford.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

For the record, the current Chief Illiniwek (who is obviously not affiliated with the University) is 50% Cherokee, not just some white kid from Rockford.

The Cherokee weren't part of the Illini alliance and one could safely assume the differences between the Cherokee and any of the tribes that were part of the Illini are at least as pronounced as those between, say, the Irish and Anglo-Saxons. I just hope that kid wasn't chosen as part of some misguided attempt to make the Chief more "authentic."

Well the problem with getting an authentic Illini is that there really aren't any left. Remember that whole "Starved Rock" thing?

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Well the problem with getting an authentic Illini is that there really aren't any left. Remember that whole "Starved Rock" thing?

I thought the Peoria were still around in Oklahoma :therock:

Either way, even if they did get an actual Illini to portray the Chief, I still don't see how that would be any different than the vaudeville acts that got actual black men to put on blackface. Not only does it not make any sense for a public institution to perform a quasi-religious ceremony, but the entire thing smacks of bad taste and poor judgment.

Either way, even if they did get an actual Illini to portray the Chief, I still don't see how that would be any different than the vaudeville acts that got actual black men to portray the minstrels.

They are. They come back to Peoria from time to time even. They have also intermingled with a lot of other tribes since they departed the land of the tribe of superior men to the point where there really isn't a pure blood Illini nation.

I do confess on this one issue that I am not free of bias, though. I've mentioned this before, but my uncle was one of the participants in the aforementioned minstrel show. (And yes, he's from Rochelle originally.) He is honestly very respectful about the entire thing, so I have trouble seeing this in black and white.

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Either way, even if they did get an actual Illini to portray the Chief, I still don't see how that would be any different than the vaudeville acts that got actual black men to portray the minstrels.

They are. They come back to Peoria from time to time even. They have also intermingled with a lot of other tribes since they departed the land of the tribe of superior men to the point where there really isn't a pure blood Illini nation.

I do confess on this one issue that I am not free of bias, though. I've mentioned this before, but my uncle was one of the participants in the aforementioned minstrel show. (And yes, he's from Rochelle originally.) He is honestly very respectful about the entire thing, so I have trouble seeing this in black and white.

I met a former Chief and he was extremely respectful about it as well. I know it's still just what a bunch of white people think about the situation and I'm admittedly biased, but I think the entire thing was done respectfully.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Archived