Patriots Throwbacks

josh1068

Wow, the only two I'd agree with on those are the Pats, Jets, and... maybe the Giants, and 2/3 of those are throwback-inspired designs.

1) To each his own. I actually like a fair amount of modern designs. It's the over-the-top cluster :censored:s we see in Cincinnati, Arizona (uniform-wise, the logo's sweet), Minnesota, and Buffalo that I hate with the passion of a million red giants.

2) He didn't specify throwback designs. He simply said that he felt the uniforms worn in the late 80s/early 90s were superior to what's worn now. I disagree. In some cases I think it's a true statement (Chargers, Vikings), but in other cases I think it's way off (Rams, Dolphins).

As a Jet fan I HATED the uniforms when I was a kid in the 80's and nineties. Mostly because the logo was so boring and the helmet was as well. However, I think the throwback look works when it is a time most of the fans WANT to remember. Most people don't have any connection to the old Titans stuff. But if they had really sharp Kelly green and white (no black) uniforms from the 80's with today's materials, I think people would really respond to it.

The Patriots don't make much sense to me when they go to 80's throwbacks. The team was so awful for so long, you would think they would want to forget or create a new look worthy of a dynasty or winning tradition type team. To celebrate the '85 team which was one of the worst beatings in SB history is weird too. I don't get it.

That flying Elvis was a World League looking logo when Parcells unveiled it, then probably never thought it would be around this long.

By the same contrast, I really like the current Chargers duds.

I've talked about my dislike of the Collegiate pants and bland colors of the Rams, but with the Dolphins, it's more that unless you're the Rangers, drop shadows on sports uniforms are pretty much uniformly a bad idea.

The current Chargers look is better then some of the other modern designs out there (again, the Bengals, Bills, etc...), but it's a few tweaks away from perfection. And the fact that it's so close, yet so far, drives me crazy whenever I see the things.

I like the Rams' look because honestly, those old uniforms were dated. They really were. The old colours were nice, yes, and I wouldn't mind it if they brought them back. But the new ram head logo, and the new uniform template are so much better then the old set. Plus, imagine trying to make that ram horn sleeve design work with today's super-tight jersey cuts.

Sigh...so the NFL is still on this throwback bull$h!t kick?

c'mon now, can we move on? Lets wear the regular unis for a season and get on with it.

Were you guys around in '94? Who did you b**** to then without an internet? :D

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

For what it's worth, I'm in complete agreement with dennisbergan.

Except then you'd have the people who totally hate everything "modern" and wish to see the revival of the "good old days" post here.

I don't see a current-styled NFL uniform that is better than what was worn in the late 80's-early 90's.

I would say the Lions, Seahawks, Dolphins, Rams, Patriots, Eagles, Giants, Jets, and Titans look better now then they did in the late 1980s/early 90s.

Also, I would say the Cardinals, Falcons, and Saints have better logos now then they did then, even if their uniforms may be subpar when compared to the older designs.

UNIFORMS

Lions -- no, no need for black

Seahawks -- yes, if they would ditch the dark monochrome look

Dolphins -- no, drop shadow is cluttering

Rams -- no, canary yellow better

Patriots -- no, hate Flying Elvis

Eagles -- no, bring back kelly green, ditch black

Giants -- yes, but that's because its roots for the current look aren't modern

Jets -- yes, though I'd lighten the green to the way it looked in the '60s

Titans -- no, nice CFL-reject uniform template. With that logo, they should re-name the team the Flaming Thumbtacks.

LOGOS

Cardinals -- logo: yes; uniform: no, not even close (see Titans comment)

Falcons -- don't mind the modern logo, but the uniforms are a trainwreck. So overall, current < late 1980s-early 90s

Saints -- club logo: yes, because I didn't like the Louisiana logo and I prefer the classic Sir Saint mark; helmet logo: no, needless white line inside the fleur-de-lis; uniforms: yes, because I didn't like the empty border inside the Saints numbers in the late 1980s. But the modern uniforms might need white numbers on the black jerseys to minimize the mismatched gold issue.

For what it's worth, I'm in complete agreement with dennisbergan.

Except then you'd have the people who totally hate everything "modern" and wish to see the revival of the "good old days" post here.

I don't see a current-styled NFL uniform that is better than what was worn in the late 80's-early 90's.

I would say the Lions, Seahawks, Dolphins, Rams, Patriots, Eagles, Giants, Jets, and Titans look better now then they did in the late 1980s/early 90s.

Also, I would say the Cardinals, Falcons, and Saints have better logos now then they did then, even if their uniforms may be subpar when compared to the older designs.

UNIFORMS

Lions -- no, no need for black

Seahawks -- yes, if they would ditch the dark monochrome look

Dolphins -- no, drop shadow is cluttering

Rams -- no, canary yellow better

Patriots -- no, hate Flying Elvis

Eagles -- no, bring back kelly green, ditch black

Giants -- yes, but that's because its roots for the current look aren't modern

Jets -- yes, though I'd lighten the green to the way it looked in the '60s

Titans -- no, nice CFL-reject uniform template. With that logo, they should re-name the team the Flaming Thumbtacks.

Lions -- The black was awful on the last set because it was randomly tacked on. The new uniforms, however, integrate it consistently into the striping pattern. It makes the Honolulu blue and silver pop now that it's used correctly. The new logo is a huge upgrade.

Seahawks -- Agreed. The monochrome ruins the look, but overall it is an upgrade over the previous set.

Dolphins -- I don't mind the drop shadow, and overall the identity is a great update of the classic, yet very dated look.

Rams -- The old uniforms were terribly outdated, even in 1999. The mismatching blue on the helmets and the rest of the uniforms. The sleeve ram horns were terrible, and would look awful today with the current jersey cuts. Royal blue and yellow in the old scheme would look nice with the current uniform, but the current uniform design and logos are superior to what they had before.

Patriots -- I don't mind the Flying Elvis and I hate Pat the Patriot.

Eagles -- Kelly green? Eh, it was nice, but the current midnight green is also unique. I don't like the current number font, but I like everything else about the current identity.

Giants -- Not the point. I was just responding to a point made by someone else that late 80s/early 90s uniforms were better then the current ones. Not only that, but I reject the notion that all modern designs are inferior to classic designs. That's simply not the case. There are some terrible modern looks, but there are some nice ones as well.

Jets -- I agree, kelly green would like nice with the current look. If they went with it, however, then that would eliminate the Eagles' supposed need to return to that colour.

Titans -- The current look, in my opinion, is a great example of a very modern design that's not over the top like what the Bills and Vikings are wearing.

LOGOS

Cardinals -- logo: yes; uniform: no, not even close (see Titans comment)

Falcons -- don't mind the modern logo, but the uniforms are a trainwreck. So overall, current < late 1980s-early 90s

Saints -- club logo: yes, because I didn't like the Louisiana logo and I prefer the classic Sir Saint mark; helmet logo: no, needless white line inside the fleur-de-lis; uniforms: yes, because I didn't like the empty border inside the Saints numbers in the late 1980s. But the modern uniforms might need white numbers on the black jerseys to minimize the mismatched gold issue.

Cardinals and Falcons -- Exactly what I said. Good new logos, crappy new uniforms.

Saints -- Sir Saints was terribly dated. The new logo, with the new outline, makes the logo seem less fragile.

I've said it before, but I'll say it again: these were the best uniforms were the Patriots have ever had:

Robert_Edwards_47_dbc7.jpgnfl-patriots-super_bowl_xxxi_martin.jpg

As for the other part of the recently brewed debate...I prefer the kelly-green-shelled Jets to the current, champion-block numbers and all, and in my book, the current Dolphins look beats out the '80s-'90s--in fact, I'll go so far as to say the 'Phins of present day might just have the best-looking duds in the entire AFC--dropshadows and all. Now somebody say something... :P

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Archived