NCAA announces 68 team tourney format

For those who didn't read the story:

-These games are known as the 'First Four'. Kinda cute considering the tourny ends with the Final Four.

-Dayton could be the site for the 2011 First Round, but they're looking into other locations for hosting duties

-Two games will involve the final four automatic qualifiers. These will be for 16 seeds.

-Two games will have the final four at-large teams in. These team will be playing for anywhere from a 10 to a 12 seed

This is the best compromise they could reach. It allows the little schools a chance to win an NCAA Tourny game (which I thought is the main reason for the Play-In Game: Allowing a school that would normally not win an NCAA Tourny Game if said school was a 15 or 16 seed) and it allows the last four at-large teams to show the nation that they are a legitimate NCAA Tourny team.

I suppose we've already discussed whether the expansion should have occurred (thereby giving three additional mediocre teams entry and leaving just as controversial of a bubble, but as I said...), so as for the format, given the 68...

I don't like the splitting of four at large and four autos. I prefer they not subject auto bids to this and just let the last eight at-large have to play in this game...they'd be playing for 12 or 13 seeds (maybe two of each). If they must have 68, that would be preferred. Being 5th in the Big Ten or 7th in the ACC, a team should have no complaint about having to "play in."

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Personally, I think it was fine at 64 teams, and that the Great West Conference shouldn't need to wait until the 2020-21 season to get an automatic bid. Having 32 conference champions and 32 at-large teams (hopefully, the 2nd-best teams in each conference) would be perfect.

I would rather it have been one play-in game in each region (just like the single play-in games we have had for years), with the winner becoming the #16 seed in each of the four regions.

True, but that means that all 4 games could potentially have relatively unknown teams playing in them. By doing it the way they are, it give the possibility for some common teams to be playing in some of the games.

Archived