Unpopular Opinions

45 minutes ago, Lights Out said:

As it stands now, most 2020s uniform designs won't be remembered at all. Most of them have either been recycled throwbacks from decades ago, boringly minimalist, or designed to be replaced after a year. Of course, a lot of this depends on how the second half of the decade goes.

If anything, it'll be 2010s designs getting that treatment. Think of all the silly trends like college football teams wearing giant letters on the front of their jerseys, or the Adidas tire-tread pattern, or the sleeved NBA jerseys.

I'm also thinking of the all-white and all-black unis that GO HARD and are 🔥🔥🔥

/s

• Like 2
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, Silver_Star said:

Well then, the league needs to start now. They done different manufacturers in the past, what is stopping them now. I mean this is a smarter idea and less convoluted for one manufacturing brand to continue making all 32 team uniforms.

That is slave driving.

They changed from multiple manufacturers to single supplier because of economics. The league isn’t just going to go away from its model because the uniforms (could) look better.

On 9/16/2024 at 7:15 PM, BBTV said:

I think they're both good.  I don't consider the black as the "extra outline", I think the gold is the extra.  The black could directly contact the white and it'd be fine.  The main problem is that the helmet should be "brassier", for lack of a better term.

2015-nola-v7.png?1600215714

Something about the older ones that I just noticed is that the white isn't consistent.  It looks like it gets narrower under the top "leaf" and above the bottom one.  Interesting effect... but I don't quite get what they're going for.

1973-nola.png?1600216018

Now you see why they stopped painting the helmets by the early 1980's? The same problem existed with the Washington team in 1982.

16 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The only things that would have changed with multiple manufacturers are less standardized apparel (sideline gear and such) and no league-wide programs like Color Rush.

On an individual level, the teams and league would still have the ultimate say in how they looked. Teams like the Commanders or Falcons that decided to look like garbage under Nike would have done the exact same thing if they were with Wilson, Puma, Starter, etc. instead.

Yeah, you are right about that.

17 hours ago, Silver_Star said:

Well then, the league needs to start now. They done different manufacturers in the past, what is stopping them now. I mean this is a smarter idea and less convoluted for one manufacturing brand to continue making all 32 team uniforms.

That is slave driving.

I'm 100% sure that you don't understand what slave driving is or the seriousness of it.  In 20 years here, that's about the worst comparison I think I've read.  There's a lot of people, past and present, that would trade their experience with slave drivers for being told who's going to make their clothes.

As for "what is stopping them now", MONEY MONEY MONEY.  The desire to let the teams make their own deals with their own preferred companies is fine, but in this era of revenue sharing, it's much more valuable (for most teams... not the revenue kings)  to have league-wide deals for things and share the money.  Like how the Cowboys can't cut their own deal with NBC, the Jaguars can't cut put their games on Fox Sports 12 or stream them on Twitch, the Eagles or Steelers can't be a CBS exclusive, etc.  It's better for the teams and league to sell as a package.

17 hours ago, Lights Out said:

The only things that would have changed with multiple manufacturers are less standardized apparel (sideline gear and such) and no league-wide programs like Color Rush.

On an individual level, the teams and league would still have the ultimate say in how they looked. Teams like the Commanders or Falcons that decided to look like garbage under Nike would have done the exact same thing if they were with Wilson, Puma, Starter, etc. instead.

I'm fairly certain (like 98.9%) that neither Puma nor Starter nor Wilson (and probably not even Nike 1.0) actually did much (if any) design work for uniforms, since teams were working more with NFL Properties and either in-house designers or 3rd-party design firms.  They may have made fan stuff and sideline stuff, but I'm pretty sure they weren't designing.  And at some point, the manufacturing all got outsourced to Ripon.  I can't remember exactly when, but it went from some teams being full mesh and some having dazzle or durene sleeves to everyone basically being the same, save for the logo.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."