Montana High School Association

Spammy

Here is an Idea I had for the MHSA, I am thinking of submitting it to them. here is their current logo for comparison. MHSA%20logo.gif

Below is my idea,

text4881.png

Green represents the grass. Blue represents sky and openness. :D

Off hand, I'd say that you might want to move the blue band on top up a little to match the spacing between the blue text and the Montana shape. Other than that... this has promise.

VmWIn6B.png

Here is an Idea I had for the MHSA, I am thinking of submitting it to them. here is their current logo for comparison. MHSA%20logo.gif

Below is my idea,

text4881.png

Green represents the grass. Blue represents sky and openness. :D

The color symbolism is cool, but I wonder why the grass is up in the sky and the sky is down on the bottom? Maybe switch them?

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

1. It took me a while to realize that the shape on the bottom was supposed to be a simplified rendering of the shape of the state. It doesn't help that the letters completely cover up the top half of the state, so it looks like a logo for the Southern Montana association.

2. If blue represents sky and openness, shouldn't it be... well, "sky" blue? And on top of the "grass"?

3. I think it's kind of weak for a sanctioning body to have it's name spelled out in all lowercase. There's plenty of times where that's appropriate, IMO this is not one of them.

4. If you're serious about this, do a version in their current colors as well, as the association may have no plans to change their scheme any time soon. You don't know what else is part of their branding package and what else may be dependent on the colors in the logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Here's an alternate version that I whipped up using Paint and Inkscape

mhsa.png

I think the biggest issue you're currently facing is that the outline in your logo just doesn't look much like Montana. I understand the simplification concept for a logo, but remember that most all the western states are kinda boxy anyway, so don't be afraid to include those little details. For Montana, you've gotta have that "face" on the western edge of the state or it just feels clunky.

Aside from that I also moved the scripting to the bottom of the logo. I actually could see them using JUST the MHSA portion alone as a simplified logo on sportswear, websites, etc., and the full logo could appear on letterhead and so forth.

Good luck - you've got a great concept, it just needs a bit more fleshing out.

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

So like this pianoknight? text4883.png

Yeah, I think that's a step in the right direction. You might play with whether you want the full script at the bottom or up in the logo itself. But I think you made a huge step forward with the shaping of the Montana outline. Looks great!

UyDgMWP.jpg

Archived