MLS Team Name/Logo Questions

kmccarthy27

I saw this mentioned on another site and wanted to see if you guys could provide more input. I saw in a comment on a FB post that Nike had a hand in naming the MLS teams in addition to designing most of the logos. Which team names did they come up with and which logos did they design? Were there any that Nike came up with the were not used? With the logos they did design was there any legal issues when MLS moved to Adidas?

Also just to let you all know MLS extended its Adidas equipment/jersey contract until 2018:-)

Thanks

Kevin

I saw this mentioned on another site and wanted to see if you guys could provide more input. I saw in a comment on a FB post that Nike had a hand in naming the MLS teams in addition to designing most of the logos. Which team names did they come up with and which logos did they design? Were there any that Nike came up with the were not used? With the logos they did design was there any legal issues when MLS moved to Adidas?

Also just to let you all know MLS extended its Adidas equipment/jersey contract until 2018:-)

Thanks

Kevin

From what I understand, Nike had a hand in naming and designing logos for all of the teams that they made the uniforms for in 1996 (MetroStars, Clash, Galaxy, Burn, Mutiny). Nike initially wanted to name the NY team "MetroFlash." They also wanted the expansion Chicago team (eventually the Fire) to be called the Rhythm. There was even rumored to be a Chicago Rhythm logo that included a snake.

The 90s were a crazy time.

Thanks

Kevin

From what I understand, Nike had a hand in naming and designing logos for all of the teams that they made the uniforms for in 1996 (MetroStars, Clash, Galaxy, Burn, Mutiny). Nike initially wanted to name the NY team "MetroFlash." They also wanted the expansion Chicago team (eventually the Fire) to be called the Rhythm. There was even rumored to be a Chicago Rhythm logo that included a snake.

The 90s were a crazy time.

lol yeah. here's a description that FIFA was given back in 96.

tampa bay mutiny described their logo as a "cyber-mutant from the dark blue depths of space ... soccer reaching the fourth dimension".

you really can't make this stuff up haha. crazy times indeed.

Are you all referring to the "Character" marks that were present in a few of the original clubs' logo packages? Those were a hoot.

Dallas Burn:

DallasBurn_CHA_1996-2001.png

Los Angeles Galaxy:

LosAngelesGalaxy_CHA_1996-2007.png

New York/New Jersey MetroStars:

NYNJMetroStars_CHA_1996-2001.png

San Jose Clash:

SanJoseClash_CHA_1996-1999.png

Tampa Bay Mutiny:

TampaBayMutiny_CHA_2000-2001.png

Archived