2011-2012 NCAA Football Uniform Thread

Lights Out

For those people opposed to Oregons unis, you just don't get it. Those combos, the black, white and carbon, have become part of Oregons look. Who else has carbon? That's a duck staple now. Yes others have black and white but when u see Oregon in those, you know that's them right away. Their style is the combos; it's become the duck way, and many have come to love it, me included.

Carbon isn't an Oregon colour, it's a Nike colour. The current Ducks look is all about promoting Nike, not the University of Oregon Ducks. It's a trend, uniforms being about the manufacturers rather then the team, that I'm not happy see.

And don't even try to say they don't help bring in recruits, cuz it does

Plenty of schools with traditional uniforms do just fine with recruitment. Not that I'm necessarily suggesting they do this, but if the Ducks went with their throwbacks full time and continued to win I think they'd do just fine recruitment wise.

I am willing to concede that the uniforms get the recruits to consider the school, but I seriously doubt anyone serious about their future as a football player would base their final decision on the uniforms.

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So has Michigan confirmed white pants are those just for practice?

The white pants were sent to Michigan to test Adidas' new pants design. Evidently Adidas has new pants technology (!) but hasn't yet made it in team colors, so they have sent teams white pants so they can get used to it. The pants will be maize during the season.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

Why do schools have to stick exclusively to their school colors? Main argument would say "because those are their school colors, they are repping the school."

While I agree with that, I really don't see the harm in adding in more colors if they WORK and they look alright. Ducks didn't add blue and orange and the rest of the rainbow, they added muted colors that could really work with almost any team (at the very least as trim).

While I myself wish for a more green and yellow uniform next time we get new uni's, I like our look now and I'm definitely not complaining. (obviously)

Why do schools have to stick exclusively to their school colors?

Seriously?

black and grey can work for most schools, in moderation.

but really, I dont know why this thread has turned into such a deep discussion about Oregon's football uniforms. Let Oregon be Oregon and let the traditional schools be the traditional schools.

nothing makes me sadder then when this thread bumps and I think there is new uniform news, and it turns out to be the same hooplah about oregon's identity that we've been aimlessly chatting about for weeks.

"let tradition go. let the ducks shoes glow." -- :)

Seriously?

black and grey can work for most schools, in moderation.

Oregon doesn't use these colours in moderation. Their National Championship uniforms were mostly white, black, and various shades of grey with highlighter yellow thrown in.

The problem, AGAIN, is that these colours are Nike corporate colours. They're the colours of the manufacturer, not the team. I can't be the only fan of sports logos and uniforms who finds that to be the start of a negative trend.

but really, I dont know why this thread has turned into such a deep discussion about Oregon's football uniforms. Let Oregon be Oregon and let the traditional schools be the traditional schools.

I could concede on this point, if the modernists were willing to keep to their side of the bargain. Sadly, they cannot if the earlier Penn State discussion is any indicator.

nothing makes me sadder then when this thread bumps and I think there is new uniform news, and it turns out to be the same hooplah about oregon's identity that we've been aimlessly chatting about for weeks.

Nothing makes you sadder then a thread on a niche internet forum going SLIGHTLY off topic? You could use some perspective.

This is a thread dedicated to NCAA football uniforms. The discussion about Oregon's identity centres on their uniforms. As far as I'm concerned it's a valid discussion for this thread.

I'm sorry you can't deal with people disagreeing with you about Oregon's look, but there are better ways for you to deal with that then demanding people stop discussing the subject.

"let tradition go. let the ducks shoes glow." -- :)

If they want to look like clowns that's their decision. The rest of us are free to criticize.

Seriously?

This "we don't have to follow these stupid traditional rules" attitude the modernists have been pushing lately has just jumped the shark.

The basketball team does, but then they use vegas gold on their football uniforms for some reason.

C'mon man, I'm talking football uniforms in this thread. Not basketball.

My question still stands.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

If they want to look like clowns that's their decision. The rest of us are free to criticize.

If Penn State wants to look like a Pop Warner team, that's their decision. The rest of us are free to criticize.

Correction. Pop Warner teams look like Penn State. Who could blame them? If you're going to emulate anyone, emulate class.

You asked why Oregon should be forced to wear "boring" uniforms if that's not who they are as a program.

Well I'll turn that around on you. Why should Penn State be forced to wear over-designed modern stuff if that's not who they are as a program?

Once again you can't handle any criticism directed towards your favorite style of uniforms. Since when is Penn State's set above criticism?

I'm not expecting Penn State to look like Oregon. But dumping the contrasting collars and cuffs was a big mistake, and every last scrap of visual interest has now been removed. Why not just dump navy because using any color at all would be "over-designing" the uniform? :rolleyes:

And honestly, what are you expecting us "modernists" to do? Throw our hands up and start agreeing with you on everything?

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Once again you can't handle any criticism directed towards your favorite style of uniforms. Since when is Penn State's set above criticism?

You're the one throwing a hissy fit because people don't agree with you about Oregon's look.

And honestly, what are you expecting us "modernists" to do? Throw our hands up and start agreeing with you on everything?

What do I want? I want to see a semblance of civility and respect.

It's possible to be critical of Penn State's look yet still admit that it's the best look for that particular program.

Likewise it's possible to be critical of Oregon's look yet still admit that it's the best look for that particular program.

I have stated on numerous occasions that when they stick to their school colours I like Oregon's out there duck-winged design. So I'm quite capable of that latter option. You have so far proven incapable of the former option.

I'm not throwing a hissy-fit at all. I don't care that much about Penn State's uniforms. Actually, you're closer to a hissy-fit than I am, considering you've been jumping down the throat of everyone who likes Oregon's usage of "extra" colors for a long, long time.

And to be honest, I think the now-former jerseys with the contrasting collars and cuffs were the best look for Penn State, as much as I'd like to see the football team adopt the basketball team's new trim pattern. Without that element, they just don't look the same anymore, and it's a total downgrade at that.

xLmjWVv.png

You're the one throwing a hissy fit because people don't agree with you about Oregon's look.

What do I want? I want to see a semblance of civility and respect.

It's possible to be critical of Penn State's look yet still admit that it's the best look for that particular program.

Likewise it's possible to be critical of Oregon's look yet still admit that it's the best look for that particular program.

I have stated on numerous occasions that when they stick to their school colours I like Oregon's out there duck-winged design. So I'm quite capable of that latter option. You have so far proven incapable of the former option.

But it's NOT the best look for Penn State. They had it damn near perfect with the contrasting collars (omg an Oregon fan likes traditional unis), but by removing those they just removed anything separating their jersey from looking like a practice uniform.

Anyway, I'm out of this whole thing again. Opinions are opinions. No one's opinion is more right than the other.

I'm not throwing a hissy-fit at all. I don't care that much about Penn State's uniforms. Actually, you're closer to a hissy-fit than I am, considering you've been jumping down the throat of everyone who likes Oregon's usage of "extra" colors for a long, long time.

Your definition of "jumping down the throat of everyone" seems remarkably close to "people who say things I do not like."

And to be honest, I think the now-former jerseys with the contrasting collars and cuffs were the best look for Penn State...Without that element, they just don't look the same anymore, and it's a total downgrade at that.

In the larger picture of Penn State the contrasting cuffs and collars are a recent addition. I agree, I preferred them too, but there's nothing wrong with what they did, which is simply embracing an earlier period of their history.

...as much as I'd like to see the football team adopt the basketball team's new trim pattern.

Give it up. There's a reason that I've never advocated Oregon go full-retro full time. I accept that they're a "modern" team. They're always going to push the envelope. All I ask is that they stick with their school colours. That is to say I can be critical of your point of view, and yet still accept it has a place.

You have proven to be incapable of the inverse.

Your definition of "jumping down the throat of everyone" seems remarkably close to "people who say things I do not like."

No, I'm talking about rude, abrasive comments like that one right there. Grow the hell up.

And to be honest, I think the now-former jerseys with the contrasting collars and cuffs were the best look for Penn State...Without that element, they just don't look the same anymore, and it's a total downgrade at that.

In the larger picture of Penn State the contrasting cuffs and collars are a recent addition. I agree, I preferred them too, but there's nothing wrong with what they did, which is simply embracing an earlier period of their history.

I'd argue that there's plenty wrong with what amounts to selling a practice jersey to the fans for $90.

...as much as I'd like to see the football team adopt the basketball team's new trim pattern.

Give it up. There's a reason that I've never advocated Oregon go full-retro full time. I accept that they're a "modern" team. They're always going to push the envelope. All I ask is that they stick with their school colours. That is to say I can be critical of your point of view, and yet still accept it has a place.

You have proven incapable of the inverse.

I said I'd like to see it. I never said it was going to happen.

xLmjWVv.png

You have proven incapable of the inverse.

I said I'd like to see it. I never said it was going to happen. Grow the hell up.

I think it's time you stepped back from the keyboard for a bit. You're obviously getting pretty angry here.

Just a tip. If you want to accuse me of posting "rude, abrasive comments" you should find an example of me posting rude, abrasive comments. The "example" you provided is neither rude nor abrasive.

In the larger realm of discussion regarding Oregon's uniforms I have never once gotten angry. All I've ever done is posted my opinions. I have never called anyone names for disagreeing with me, I have never made broad generalizations of people who have disagreed with me. I wish I could say the same with you, because a civilized debate between modern and traditional could be interesting.

I can't say the same for you, though. So again, maybe it's time to step away from the keyboard until you calm down.

Archived