USA TODAY January 27th 2011

nuordr

In today's USATODAY newspaper (not online) there is an article stating that more schools are using colored turf. "Oxford, Michigan, will be one of the first high schools in the USA to incorporate its school colors on its new artificial turf football field. After the school raised money and an anonymous donor gave $300,000, the school board Monday gave the go-ahead to install a blue field with gold markings in time for the team's first game Aug. 26 against state Division I champion Lake Orion. Because the cost of adding colors to the field it negligible compared to the cost of the field itself, this could be a growing trend. Canyon (New Braunfels, Texas) installed a red field two weeks ago, matching one of its school colors of red and whine. West Hills (Santee, California) already has a two-tone blue artificial field, and Lovington, (New Mexico) and Barrow (Alaska) have blue turf fields. Only a handful of colleges have done this route, including blue turf at Boise State and the University of New Haven and red turf at Eastern Washington.

Here is a link to some pictures.

Oxford High School Football Field

Canyon Texas

West Hills, California

This link shows almost all colored fields

spacer.png

As I said in the last artificial turf at high schools thread, it saves the school money over time. They don't have to re-sod the field after every season, take care of soccer, lacrosse, or field hockey fields for competitions, the infield can actually be used for track meets (when on grass a lot of time it can't as a place for the players to sit), and other outdoor sports teams (i.e. baseball) can practice there if their regular field is water-logged. Many schools have to re-sod grass fields every year, so why keep spending money when you can get a durable surface that saves money?

6fQjS3M.png

What a colossal waste of money. And even if it doesn't cost a dime more than green turf, what a colossal waste.

No it isn't. Grass fields require more maintenance than artificial turf. My school had one as early as 2003 and it allowed the school to get more use out of the stadium and field and at less cost. It's actually an economically smart move.

"And the taxpayers go wild! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!"

Sure they do, because turf fields save money.

You have to think about the long run, boys. Long run.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived