How I would do things/Color tweaks

srj34

I'm so glad I found sites like Uniwatch and this one. I've long had an interest in sports colors/logos/uniforms, and it's cool to see there are a lot of like-minded folks out there. I've been lurking for a while, and you all do such amazing work. I'm a hardcore newbie at doing this stuff, so expect my design contributions to be rough and minimal for a while.

Long before I found these communities, I was appalled at the huge ocean of blue running rampant throughout the NBA. If I had dictatorial powers, I would frame design guidelines in two ways:

1) The longtime/long-successful NBA powers shouldn't be changed much. A NOB tweak here, a jersey-style change there, but that's it. For example, I find yellow and purple to be an excessively gaudy and ugly combination, but the combo belongs to one of the most successful franchises in the history of pro sports. I would never touch the Lakers design fundamentals. Ditto the Celtics, Bulls, Spurs, Warriors, Knicks, Pistons, 76ers, Pacers, Suns, or Trail Blazers.

2) Mascot/team nickname should go a long way toward influencing team colors. I don't think there's much blue involved with Thunder or a Bobcat, hence I would change those teams' color schemes. The exception to this is guided by #1 above - I don't know what's so yellow and blue about a Warrior, but that franchise has been around as long as the NBA has. They've worn those colors since before I was born (I'm 36), so for better or worse the Warriors should always wear yellow and blue.

OK, I've babbled enough. I'm OK with Denver's logo and wordmark right now, but I hate their color scheme. So my color tweak for Denver involves precious metals - nuggets of gold, obviously, but I like involving silver as well, with white, gray and black for trim. Speaking of gray, there isn't one NBA team with a gray jersey - even a third jersey - around today. This led me to the idea for new Denver road unis:

DENSnewh.jpgDENSnewR.jpg

Now for my other color tweak, the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Because I am trying to reduce the staggering amount of blue in the NBA, I thought Minnesota was a good place to start. Many complained rightly about the eradication of green from the T-Wolves uniform, so I brought it back and got rid of the blue. And since we're dealing with a wild animal here, I incorporated a rather underutilized "earthy" color - tan.

(This is the best match I could get on Minnesota green with my rather outdated photo editing software)

MINalthome.jpgMINaltroad.jpg

Funkatron: Don't be sorry. The only way I'm going to develop an eye for this sort of thing is feedback. I can tell you're not being an ass about it.

And yes, I like that T-Wolves pic you posted a lot.

But re: the Denver tweak - is there not a place in sports uniforms for more subtle and understated? I don't mean that my Denver idea should be adopted, but must everything leap out and grab your eye? Isn't that mindset what led to the Great Teal Explosion of the 1990s?

To DeFrank: Thanks!

Don't be sorry. The only way I'm going to develop an eye for this sort of thing is feedback. I can tell you're not being an ass about it.

And yes, I like that T-Wolves pic you posted a lot.

But re: the Denver tweak - is there not a place in sports uniforms for more subtle and understated? I don't mean that my Denver idea should be adopted, but must everything leap out and grab your eye? Isn't that mindset what led to the Great Teal Explosion of the 1990s?

There doesn't need to be a color explosion by any means. But there definitely should be a "pop" color. The Nuggets concept lacks that, while the Wolves concept is over-saturated. While sports uniforms tend to be brighter in general, they often mute colors when necessary, and use the pop color as an accent.

In the example I showed, the green is muted, and the white is actually the pop color. The black offers a nice contrast to accentuate this.

Keep working at it. I can see what you want to do, but the execution isn't quite there yet. And keep in mind that tans/browns can be harder to pull off, but not impossible if paired with the right colors.

Man...That's really bad. Sorry if it seems like I'm hating on your thread, but these color combinations are not good.

154345_458936441038_704646038_6074352_6220022_n.jpg

This is a better combination, IMO.

Is this photoshoped? I know its not real but is that a prototype or something?

It is photoshopped. Just a simple hue adjustment. I'm sick of the NBA having so much blue in their team branding. I wish the Wolves got these, and the Black alternates with green accent instead. Both look WAY better than what they actually have, IMO.

Man...That's really bad. Sorry if it seems like I'm hating on your thread, but these color combinations are not good.

154345_458936441038_704646038_6074352_6220022_n.jpg

This is a better combination, IMO.

Is this photoshoped? I know its not real but is that a prototype or something?

It is photoshopped. Just a simple hue adjustment. I'm sick of the NBA having so much blue in their team branding. I wish the Wolves got these, and the Black alternates with green accent instead. Both look WAY better than what they actually have, IMO.

Thats SO much better than the current look! It doesn't solve the BFBS problem, tho. Can you try replacing the black with a dark blue (somewhere between royal and navy)?

Thats SO much better than the current look! It doesn't solve the BFBS problem, tho. Can you try replacing the black with a dark blue (somewhere between royal and navy)?

I don't really want to hijack the thread as I posted it merely as an example, but I personally don't think in the Wolves case it is BFBS. Both of their current logos make heavy use of black. To me BFBS was a trend like the Utah Jazz back in the late 90s having a black jersey. If New York came out with one, I think that would be BFBS, since the black they use in their logo is such an after thought.

I created it with the intent that blue would be eliminated completely, as I think 13 NBA teams currently feature blue in their branding.

Archived