College Ice Hockey Rivalries?

HawkeyHouse

I believe the only reason he mentioned UND-Denver in the first place was because ESPN was hyping the :censored: out of the rivalry when they met in the tourney and wouldn't shut up about their "rivalry".

This

The North Dakota-Minnesota rivalry is absolutely huge. Denver really isn't much of a rivalry for Sioux fans. I can see a budding rivalry with Bemidji State, considering how close Grand Forks and Bemidji are.

Thanks

What about Wisconsin? Since North Dakota and Minnesota seem like the best choice.

For Wisconsin, it's not even close. It's Minnesota. If you want a non-Minnesota partner for Wisconsin, I'd just pick any traditionally good program in the WCHA (Colorado College, Denver, maybe UMD)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Bemidji State and Alabama-Huntsville. Dates back to their club hockey days and the teams routinely played for either a spot in the national championship game or the national championship itself at the club and D-2 levels. It continued when they were in CHA and this past season Bemidji was even willing to play games at UAH to help them have more home games on their schedule since they're an independent this season.

Yes and no. D-II, not club. The rivalry dates to 1994-'98 when the schools met 4 times for the national championship, with each winning two. The schools never played before that and never played in the regular season until they were CHA conference-mates starting in '99-'00.

I also will note the three schools in the UP have a good rivalry - Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech. NMU and LSSU are in the same conference (CCHA), but Tech (WCHA) tends to play NMU and LSSU n/c most years.

I can see a budding rivalry with Bemidji State, considering how close Grand Forks and Bemidji are.

For there to be any semblance of a rivalry, BSU has to win a few games. Since the Beavers moved to D-I (1999), UND is 16-0-1 vs. BSU. Sure there is that tie, and there is that one OT win, but come-on, the "rivalry" is way to one-sided. At this point, UND/BSU is a nice close (110 miles) road trip for Sioux fans to go see a couple wins, or for BSU fans to go do some shopping in the big city while seeing the fancy rink...

Yes and no. D-II, not club. The rivalry dates to 1994-'98 when the schools met 4 times for the national championship, with each winning two. The schools never played before that and never played in the regular season until they were CHA conference-mates starting in '99-'00.

I also will note the three schools in the UP have a good rivalry - Lake Superior State, Northern Michigan and Michigan Tech. NMU and LSSU are in the same conference (CCHA), but Tech (WCHA) tends to play NMU and LSSU n/c most years.

I stand corrected. I apologize as I had heard of them meeting a few times in the club days. Either way it's a great love-hate rivalry that has taken on a new leaf on both sides since the demise of the CHA.

I'd also like to add that not only Maine and New Hampshire love each other there is no love lost between New Hampshire and Vermont.

It's not as popular nationally as some of the others listed, but the UAA Seawolves/UAF Nanooks rivalry have produced some of the most intense hockey I've ever seen...

I've seen video of it. Great, passionate hockey when those two play.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

As someone who is close to Nebraska-Omaha, there isn't a true 'rival' persay. But, there have been teams where UNO have been good opponents for the Mavs.

In the days of the CCHA, Michigan was one of those teams. This is, of course, my opinion since save for Alaska-Fairbanks, UNO was the western outpost for the CCHA.

With the move to the WCHA, the chance for creating a regional rivalry increases tenfold. IMHO, North Dakota might be the logical option since UNO and UND has been rivals for years in other sports as they were part of the North Central Conference for many years. Another option is Bemidji State. The Beavers join the WCHA along with UNO this past season and have a nice new arena to show off (Although nothing can beat the awesomeness that is the Qwest Center though. :P)

I stand corrected. I apologize as I had heard of them meeting a few times in the club days. Either way it's a great love-hate rivalry that has taken on a new leaf on both sides since the demise of the CHA.

Oh, no problem. The thing is that UAH played club hockey prior to the D-II meetings, but BSU played D-II or D-III hockey from 1983-1999. Before that they weren't club, they were NAIA.

As to the future of the rivalry, yeah, they played down there last (this) year and UAH will travel up here next season, but long term? It doesn't stand much chance of continuing. BSU will start to establish rivalries in the WCHA (UND is less than 2 hours down the road, UMD and SCSU are 2.5 hours away) and folks will and already do think less of UAH every day.

Archived