College Ice Hockey Rivalries?

HawkeyHouse

Hello everyone. I'm sorta new to the whole college ice hockey scene. I am wondering what big rivalries are out there. I know about a few. Michigan vs Michigan State, North Dakota vs Denver, Wisconsin vs Minnesota, Boston College vs Boston University. Are there any other big rivalries?

(8/10 Match-ups)

Michigan State Spartans vs Michigan Wolverines

North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs Denver Pioneers

Wisconsin Badgers vs Minnesota Golden Gophers

Boston College Eagles vs Boston University Terriers

Harvard Crimsons vs Cornell Big Red

New Hampshire Wildcats vs Maine Blackbears

Bowling Green Falcons vs Miami Ohio Red Hawks

Merrimack Warriors vs University of Massachusetts Lowell Riverhawks

Minnesota has so many "rivalries" with teams in-state and around the state (North Dakota, Wisconsin). Of those in-state schools, I feel like Minnesota Duluth is the only real rivalry they have but I am biased on that part :P

Hello everyone. I'm sorta new to the whole college ice hockey scene. I am wondering what big rivalries are out there. I know about a few. Michigan vs Michigan State, North Dakota vs Denver, Wisconsin vs Minnesota, Boston College vs Boston University. Are there any other big rivalries?

At Wisconsin, our biggest rival is Minnesota. Minnesota probably feels the same way, though they likely spread it more with North Dakota and the in-state teams.

I think I've actually read that in the 1970s Bob Johnson (Wisconsin) and Herb Brooks (Minnesota) disliked each other.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

You somewhat sold the Boston area short since they have the Beanpot Tournament annually, so I would consider all four of them as rivals.

You somewhat sold the Boston area short since they have the Beanpot Tournament annually, so I would consider all four of them as rivals.

So out of the four teams, what is the best rivalry combination? To me Boston College and Boston University are bigger rivals than Harvard University and Northeastern University.

During the four years I spent at North Dakota in the late '90s, Minnesota was by far our biggest rival. (I also recall particularly disliking Colorado College and Denver, but for no particular reason.) I assume it's the same today.

If you have rivalries based on closest geographic localities, you could easily go UNH - Maine and UMass Lowell - Merrimack College. But especially in the Hockey East, where 8 teams (UNH, UMass, Providence, UML, Merrimack, BC, BU, Northeastern) are within an hour and half radius of each other, just about every one of these matchups is a rivalry. UML's biggest rivalry games each year tend to be against BC and BU, not the obvious close school of Merrimack.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

In the early part of the last decade when Ohio state was actually competing for the ccha title and I was going to every other home game, they had a pretty nasty rivalry with Michigan. These days I think it's just bowling green and Miami.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Bemidji State and Alabama-Huntsville. Dates back to their club hockey days and the teams routinely played for either a spot in the national championship game or the national championship itself at the club and D-2 levels. It continued when they were in CHA and this past season Bemidji was even willing to play games at UAH to help them have more home games on their schedule since they're an independent this season.

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Thanks everyone. So do these sound like solid games rivalry wise?

North Dakota Fighting Sioux vs Minnesota Golden Gophers

Wisconsin Badgers vs

Denver Pioneers vs Bemidji State Beavers

If you ask any North Dakota fan about rivals, very few if any would say Denver first. It'll be Gopher Nation every time. Second would depend greatly. Probably Wisconsin for some, Denver for others. St. Cloud was kind of the mandated rival from the WCHA in those rival series.

When the Big Ten is started, I think the main rival will proabably be Denver then. Both would be original membersof the old WCHA, both have 7 National Championships, both meet up in big games, and they would be the 2 top teams in the New WCHA. This too would depend how often or if Minnesota would schedule UND.

Also, I've heard from a handfull of Minnesota fans that while Wisconsin is the traditional rival, UND is most hated for sure.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

Colorado College/Denver rivalry is huge here, the schools hate each other and they both play for the Gold Pan Trophy.

"Mr. President, call in the National Guard! Send as many men as you can spare! Because we are killing the Patriots! They need emergency help!" - Shannon Sharpe

If none of you caught on to what I am trying to do, check my "NHL Heritage Jerseys by HawkeyHouse" thread. I'm working concepts up for NCAA Div I Ice Hockey. I will not do as many as I did for the NHL, maybe only 10 match-ups, which gives me 20 uniforms to design.

It seems like I have a few clear choices and will not change.

Some that I want some help with and might change.

And teams that are messing with my head.

North Dakota Fighting Sioux, Denver Pioneers, Wisconsin Badgers and Minnesota Golden Gophers seem to vary between what rivalry is better between the teams. I thought UND and Denver were rivals just from watching the Frozen Four, yet I'm being told they have a bigger rivalry with Minnesota. Minnesota and Wisconsin seem to have a strong rivalry as well. So if I set up Minnesota vs Wisconsin / North Dakota vs Denver I wouldn't have to big of a problem in my eyes. If I go with Minnesota vs North Dakota / Denver vs Colorado College, who would be Wisconsin's rival?

The North Dakota-Minnesota rivalry is absolutely huge. Denver really isn't much of a rivalry for Sioux fans. I can see a budding rivalry with Bemidji State, considering how close Grand Forks and Bemidji are.

I believe the only reason he mentioned UND-Denver in the first place was because ESPN was hyping the :censored: out of the rivalry when they met in the tourney and wouldn't shut up about their "rivalry".

Athletic Director: KTU Blue Grassers Football

Since I've moved back to Oxford, the Miami/BGSU rivalry has cooled since Miami and Michigan seem to be fighting for the CCHA top spot every year. Plus, you have a loooooot of Ohio State fans in Oxford who love to hate all things blue. From what I hear from friends around Ann Arbor, the much the same can be said of the Michigan/MSU rivalry, but they don't really go to games.

My point is, if you're going to include Miami, their rivalry should probably be with Michigan based on recent history.

I believe the only reason he mentioned UND-Denver in the first place was because ESPN was hyping the :censored: out of the rivalry when they met in the tourney and wouldn't shut up about their "rivalry".

This

The North Dakota-Minnesota rivalry is absolutely huge. Denver really isn't much of a rivalry for Sioux fans. I can see a budding rivalry with Bemidji State, considering how close Grand Forks and Bemidji are.

Thanks

What about Wisconsin? Since North Dakota and Minnesota seem like the best choice.

Archived