Mandatory Military Service For Athletes

smzimbabwe

Was reading about how Shin Soo Choo of Cleveland avoided South Korea's mandatory 2 years of military service by virtue of S. Korea winning the Asia Cup or something similar...

Which lead me to wonder: a lot of European countries have a year or two of mandatory military service for all its citizens. If you object to military service, there is an equivalent (usually longer) period of civil service you may enter. I just don't recall hearing about any European athletes serving their time before playing, or is being really good with a ball/stick/puck/etc. count for an exemption? I don't know the exact rules for every country, but I don't recall the big European names here in the U.S. and back at their homes ever interrupting or postponing their careers to do their time for their country...

Does anybody know why this is? Were these players getting good deals for being athletes, or maybe it wasn't publicized. Just curious...

Its not as heavily enforced over in Europe, and where it is its typically much shorter then two years. Also alot of countries such as Germany are just doing away with it completely.

Its just not worth it anymore. Your better off having a paid military and allowing the people to either go to college or work, rather then forcing them to serve, especially during peace time. The moral arguments for conscription I also feel are either highly debatable or very dated, so I don't think conscription is coming back here anytime soon.

Most Finnish hockey players do it. I believe Teemu Selanne did his between his draft year and his rookie season.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Israelis all have to do it. Male or female.

NCFA-FCS/CBB: Minnesota A&M | RANZBA (OOTP): Auckland Warriors | USA: Front Range United | IFA: Toverit Helsinki | FOBL: Kentucky Juggernaut

Minnesota A&M 2012 National Champions 2013 National Finalist, 2014 National Semi-finals 2012, 2013, 2014 Big 4 Conference Champions

I went to school with a German citizen. He mention military service once (over a few beers, so may be misremembering) and said while Germany still had mandatory military service in the law, it was very very rarely enforced. They had enough people wanting to join that there was no use in conscripting citizens into the service. The law was never reversed just in case they would need to use it.

I assume it is similar in other European nations.

1zqy8ok.gif

I went to school with a German citizen. He mention military service once (over a few beers, so may be misremembering) and said while Germany still had mandatory military service in the law, it was very very rarely enforced. They had enough people wanting to join that there was no use in conscripting citizens into the service. The law was never reversed just in case they would need to use it.

I assume it is similar in other European nations.

The law recently was reversed and 2011 will be the last year it will be on the German books.

But yeah, for most countries a year of service would be alot. Most its only about 6 months or so. Countries don't want to be pulling people out of college to go serve in a peace time army.

I wouldn't mind mandatory service to get a Federal grant or even a discount for college...but as far as athletes...does anyone really want to give people like Plaxico Burress, Pacman Jones or Gilbert Arenas access to even higher-powered weapons?

87Redskins.png

I wouldn't mind mandatory service to get a Federal grant or even a discount for college...but as far as athletes...does anyone really want to give people like Plaxico Burress, Pacman Jones or Gilbert Arenas access to even higher-powered weapons?

A little military discipline would have done wonders for those gents. As for access to weapons, at least the rest of the company would likely have weapons too. ;)

shysters_sm.jpg

"One of my concerns is shysters show up and take advantage of people's good will and generosity".

I wouldn't mind mandatory service to get a Federal grant or even a discount for college.

I'm on board with that idea. Only problem is that there would be a high turnover rate because everyone who wants to attend college will be flocking to get grants. I guess there's good and bad in everything.

NYCFC - MLS CUP CHAMPIONS - 2021

I wouldn't mind mandatory service to get a Federal grant or even a discount for college.

I'm on board with that idea. Only problem is that there would be a high turnover rate because everyone who wants to attend college will be flocking to get grants. I guess there's good and bad in everything.

Who cares, it still makes them work for their "handouts" and might teach a couple of them a lesson in worth ethic, responsibility and realizing how lucky they are to be American. We could put them in reserves or in more of a community service role, not overseas combat.

87Redskins.png

Who cares, it still makes them work for their "handouts" and might teach a couple of them a lesson in worth ethic, responsibility and realizing how lucky they are to be American. We could put them in reserves or in more of a community service role, not overseas combat.

You can learn all those things in college. I did. You don't need to enlist in the military in order to develop a work ethic and personal responsibility, and realize how lucky you are to be an American.

WIZARDS ORIOLES CAPITALS RAVENS UNITED

Archived