Gridiron Uniforms

timmy b

Lots of great things going on with the site. Nice work. One bit of feedback that I have is it would be nice if a number other than 11 was used for the jersey number so that one could get a better idea for the look of the font, since so many teams are going the custom route these days. 11 doesn't really give you the same sense for a font as numbers with 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Great site and great job!!

As a Bengals fan, I should know this, but now I'm not sure...

I could've sworn the Bengals wore an orange alternate at some point before the current models started in 2004, as in sometime in the late 90s or early 00s. Am I dreaming that? The new site doesn't show it and I can now find no evidence of it anywhere online. Anyone else remember that?

Lots of great things going on with the site. Nice work. One bit of feedback that I have is it would be nice if a number other than 11 was used for the jersey number so that one could get a better idea for the look of the font, since so many teams are going the custom route these days. 11 doesn't really give you the same sense for a font as numbers with 2, 3, 4, 5, and 7.

Totally agree. Wasn't 24 used on the other version?

I do like that you've shown the backs of the jerseys and the nameplate lettering fonts as well.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Great site and great job!!

As a Bengals fan, I should know this, but now I'm not sure...

I could've sworn the Bengals wore an orange alternate at some point before the current models started in 2004, as in sometime in the late 90s or early 00s. Am I dreaming that? The new site doesn't show it and I can now find no evidence of it anywhere online. Anyone else remember that?

They were never worn on the field, but they were sold as fashion jerseys, so perhaps that's what you're remembering.

Question: On the '69 Saints, the "outlawed" black helmet is only shown with the black set. Was this the intent? I ask because they did wear it at least once with the white jerseys, but figured you may have just shown it with the black set so as to show that they did wear that helmet.

Doug_Atkins_and_Dave_Long.jpg

What's your stance on people submitting corrections and so on? Look, I realize you guys just finished this and probably the last thing you want to hear is this or that isn't quite right, and that's why I didn't ask the black helmet question in my first response here. But is there a place or way to make suggestions or point things out?

Good catch, didn't see that one with the white jersey! Looks like the 9/12/69 preseason game in Detroit.

Simply go to the website forum and go to the changes/corrections one and submit this on there.

Much appreciated, Blue Sky!

What a refreshingly positive response. Thanks for that.

Funny thing is, I didn't want to be "that guy" who immediately starts sniping after all your hard work. So instead I was "that guy" who asks a question before looking on the site for the answer. DOH! :D

I'm amazed at the scope the site covers. Fantastic work. It is appreciated.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Question: On the '69 Saints, the "outlawed" black helmet is only shown with the black set. Was this the intent? I ask because they did wear it at least once with the white jerseys, but figured you may have just shown it with the black set so as to show that they did wear that helmet.

What's your stance on people submitting corrections and so on? Look, I realize you guys just finished this and probably the last thing you want to hear is this or that isn't quite right, and that's why I didn't ask the black helmet question in my first response here. But is there a place or way to make suggestions or point things out?

Good catch, didn't see that one with the white jersey! Looks like the 9/12/69 preseason game in Detroit.

Simply go to the website forum and go to the changes/corrections one and submit this on there.

Funny thing is, I didn't want to be "that guy" who immediately starts sniping after all your hard work. So instead I was "that guy" who asks a question before looking on the site for the answer. DOH! :D

Blue Sky,

I appreciate the kind words. Kindness goes a long way with our crew!

Anyway, we realize that even though I at least have spent a ton of time looking a photo resources, on line, in magazines, books, etc., we are always going to come up short in accuracy. Even though out site is up, I continue to research and rescrub sources when I'm not entirely certain. In fact, it's on my agenda to head down to the Library of Congress's newspaper room on the 26th, to dig thru microfilm to have another look at the 1941-1944 papers to make sure I didn't miss anything the first and second (and so on) time around. I'm old school, so it's just me, my composition book and my mechanical pencil to jot down the pic, the colors of the helmet, jerseys, pants and socks and the paper I found it in.

Being a single dad with two kids under my roof, I try to get there every six weeks and make a day of it. I love doing it and I might be crazy, but I want the site to be as close to 100% as it can be.

So pointing out errors in a polite way makes me want to get that corrected as best as we can. In a way, it's good that I have two very willing and helpful assistants in this endeavor, rather than being a one man band who is researcher, graphic artist and website designer. I admire what Okkonen and Greenstein have done. I just hope that our trio can be as respected as they are for what they've done.

So thanks again, Blue Sky. Sleep well tonight! :)

Blue Sky,

I appreciate the kind words. Kindness goes a long way with our crew!

Anyway, we realize that even though I at least have spent a ton of time looking a photo resources, on line, in magazines, books, etc., we are always going to come up short in accuracy. Even though out site is up, I continue to research and rescrub sources when I'm not entirely certain. In fact, it's on my agenda to head down to the Library of Congress's newspaper room on the 26th, to dig thru microfilm to have another look at the 1941-1944 papers to make sure I didn't miss anything the first and second (and so on) time around. I'm old school, so it's just me, my composition book and my mechanical pencil to jot down the pic, the colors of the helmet, jerseys, pants and socks and the paper I found it in.

Being a single dad with two kids under my roof, I try to get there every six weeks and make a day of it. I love doing it and I might be crazy, but I want the site to be as close to 100% as it can be.

So pointing out errors in a polite way makes me want to get that corrected as best as we can. In a way, it's good that I have two very willing and helpful assistants in this endeavor, rather than being a one man band who is researcher, graphic artist and website designer. I admire what Okkonen and Greenstein have done. I just hope that our trio can be as respected as they are for what they've done.

So thanks again, Blue Sky. Sleep well tonight! :)

Funnily enough, I visited the LOC (Madison Bldg) recently to do the exact same thing. :grin:

u67rt.jpg

yyyy95.jpg

Archived