Quick Crit for my

cyandlux

I've been working on this for a while now and wanted some opinion

svf_bc_samp.gif

1/2 the people I have shown like my name the way it is.

I want it to say "I don't shoot kittens or skanky naked models so don't ask."

Anyway, front/back...bleed on back...it will be worth the extra $.

The info, space, font, etc.??? is what I would like to know about.

Thanks!

get rid of the grey parts behind your name, its distracting and weird to read. you've got enough room you can use a little more leading on the contact info, meaning give the lines of text a little more room between each other. the black seperater ont he bottom dosnt need to be so heavy either, thin that out a bit

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

Do you want lowercase or mixed case? I'd say either you're name needs to be lower or the details need to be Mixed. Looks odd with both. IMO of course. I can see how it can be ok but I think you'd be better off with mixed case on the information.

Do you want lowercase or mixed case? I'd say either you're name needs to be lower or the details need to be Mixed. Looks odd with both. IMO of course. I can see how it can be ok but I think you'd be better off with mixed case on the information.

I see what you're seeing now. I'll cap "Houston, TX" , "Photo" , etc.

I just personally do not know how I feel about the gray, It's a lighter shade on my screen(could be darker on yours) and its distracting from the red.

I think you could space things out a little more.

And I don't quite understand the bottom corner, and it takes me a minute to read, which is good knowing I'd be staring at the card, but I don't think that's why you want me looking at it.

I think highlighting focal points on the card would be great and easy to see, and I love you kept it minimal to get your point across.

Honestly, I would do all the info in one font, one size, maybe a single pop color for the phone number or something, no weird graphic elements, slogans or lines separating things. The photo is the star of the card, and right now, everything else is trying to steal its spotlight.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Honestly, I would do all the info in one font, one size, maybe a single pop color for the phone number or something, no weird graphic elements, slogans or lines separating things. The photo is the star of the card, and right now, everything else is trying to steal its spotlight.

I think you're thinking of more of a calling card which I got a little off track from.

I think you're thinking of more of a calling card which I got a little off track from.

I think this does it better.

svf_bcplain.gif

Ehhh this latest versions has some issues too. You've got a mixture of tracking that doesn't really work well, and the leading needs some work too. You've also got all your text centered and then your location off in the lower right corner, as if its a throwaway. Either center it all, or anchor the text on the right, but be consistent. You may also want to re-address the hierarchy of the information. The word photography and your tagline are mashed together, but you really want to emphasize that you do photography. Maybe spend some time over at cardobserver.com a check out some layouts.

OD_Signature.jpg

Honestly all you need besides the photo is your name (largest type) and then number, email and website below your name, or elsewhere. Also the font doesn't go with the feel of the photo. Its like looking at two different cards. If you stick mostly with black and white, do that on the card. If not find a way to incorporate an accent color into both the photo side and info side. You don't have to recolor the photo, but a small initials icon would look pretty nice.

I'm losing the art. It's becoming about design. I'm guessing good design will feel like the art.

Also, it's just one of my many series of photos. So, matching something to that specifically will mean it won't match on the web.

Super quick just to see don't crit web: seanvonfelden.com

Exactly. Great design is art, just like great architecture is art. Take what you put into your photography into the business card. That will do wonders.

That goes back to my initial idea which was business card as photogram/paper negative.

photogram_bcard.jpg

Do you think there is still something there?

Do you do your own processing/ darkroom work? I think a business card sized print, with your name and info dodged into the print night be nice. Make a laser cut stencil to use to dodge it perhaps?

Do you do your own processing/ darkroom work? I think a business card sized print, with your name and info dodged into the print night be nice. Make a laser cut stencil to use to dodge it perhaps?

I think you're looking for something crisp which is the digital aesthetic. I'm still doing the majority of my work in the darkroom because the artists hands within the art is readily seen. This print is too dark.

Would transferring the image onto the front of the card digitally kill the initial spontaneity of the idea? Think Dada.

I would go really simple with your name in red embossed over a Black and white pic and on the reverse your email, website telephone number centred again in red.

On another point I mocked these up earlier in the year when discussing on Twitter that business cards are becoming more irrelevant as people just 'Google' you now to find out who you are and what you do.

sdx-media-google-businesscards.jpg

logo.png

I would go really simple with your name in red embossed over a Black and white pic and on the reverse your email, website telephone number centred again in red.

On another point I mocked these up earlier in the year when discussing on Twitter that business cards are becoming more irrelevant as people just 'Google' you now to find out who you are and what you do.

sdx-media-google-businesscards.jpg

I get your point, but these are to hand out at gallery events. When I apply for jobs I get googled a lot.

Archived