NHL RDO camp - what if other major leagues did it?

troy_3223

The RDO camp is one of my favorite parts of the NHL off-season, where they test out rule changes - from slight tweaks to bizarre innovations. Among my favorite ideas this year - a change in delayed penalties - the offending team would have to clear the zone in posession rather than just touching the puck; no-touch icing; offside teams not allowed to change lines.

Anyhow, it got me thinking - what if the other major leagues did this (maybe they do, but it isn't the public display the NHL puts on) what rules are worth tinkering with?

nhl94vansigpng.png

I didn't know that the NHL did this. The NHL is quite honeslty the best league out of the big 4. They don't always get it right but it's awesome to see them do this.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

You mad because the Tribe is stylin' on you?

I believe the NBA tests some rules in summer leagues and NBDL but I could be wrong.

I know the NCAA tests some rules in early season tournaments for basketball. Football really there isn't a "off-season" to do things.

Doesn't the NFL occasionally test rules in the pre-season?

MLB tests some rules in the minor leagues and spring training.

So really all the leagues do it, just in the NHL its much bigger changes. In Basketball its 3 point line movement and the charging circle. Baseball its the time a pitcher gets to pitch the next pitch. NFL its minor things as well.

I know one of the rules is that they want to start cracking down on flooping.

A guy will still get a high sticking call, but if someone collapses like he was shot even though the stick is two feet from his head, he would also get a penalty, so the two would offset.

I would love if that rule was enforced in the NBA as well. You can't fault guys for flooping if they're getting calls. That's on the league, but at the same time if your an offical and you see somebody go down in a way to suggest that he was pushed, its hard not to call that. Have another offical look at the play during the free throws (if there are any), or he gets a minute to determine if there was a floop. If there were free throws attempted on the resulting play, then the other team gets to shoot free throws as well. If not then the other team doesen't get free throws. Guarantee you flooping would drop overnight.

Also with the NFL, I don't think the coaches and players have any say on what the rules changes are. If they did, the game would be alot different. If you want to cut down on injuries, make it tougher to pass the ball. Stop babying QB's and stop limiting the defenses on what they can. Way more guys get hurt on passing plays then running plays, and because there's more passing plays that means there's more plays in games. The NFL won't do that.

The NHL is quite honeslty the best league out of the big 4.

Think I'm just gonna let this one breathe a little.

Probably just because I'm a homer and love hockey.

What really gets me is the "great fan" stuff. It's sad to think of our country as a "Steeler Nation", because that would mean that we're a country of near-sighted inbreds from the mountains that can't speak competent English.

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

The most passionate hockey fans should know best of all that their favorite league is a confederacy of dunces.

To the topic at hand:

I like the the NHL does the R&D camp. They've admitted that a lot of the ideas aren't things they fully believe in so much as that sometimes you just need to see something in action to realize it was a stupid idea. And let's be honest: most of these things at the NHL R&D are stupid ideas. I like this trial-and-error approach better than what the NFL does, which is declare from on high that the rules have changed without bothering to test them on any significant level, thus yielding hosts of unintended consequences. The kickoff rule is only the worst offender. However, it bothers me that the NHL sees fit to keep tinkering with its product, or at least explore the possibilities of tinkering. While I'll concede that yes, the neutral zone trap is a menace against which we must remain ever vigilant, a lot of trapbusting can be handled simply by enforcing the rules that were already on the books and outlawing the two-line pass, both of which they did (and then stopped enforcing most of those rules because, irony of ironies, Ya Gotta Let 'Em Play). I don't much care for attempts at goosing up the scoring that are as bald-faced as making pretty much everything a non-terminating penalty with no shorthanded icing. That doesn't make the game more exciting, it just makes the scores higher. It's insulting that they even broach these things. If the NBA decided that foul shots were to be replaced with foul dunks, we'd laugh them off the planet.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The most passionate hockey fans should know best of all that their favorite league is a confederacy of dunces.

>sothenimlike:censored:you.jpg

Let's go Brownies!

championships.png

I would love to see in baseball that a batter can attempt to steal first on a wild pitch at anytime even if it's not a dropped third strike. He would still be out on a force play at first. Yes it would be rare but it'd be awesome when it happened.

I'd like to see jump balls in NCAA basketball; possession arrow is dumb.

In the NBA I would drop both teams to one 30 second timeout with 2 minutes left in the game. The ends of games take too long even now that they drop them down to one full and two 20s.

This is a crazy one, but in the NHL if a player is waved out of the circle on a faceoff the other player takes the faceoff unopposed. Yes it's crazy.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

Archived