End of the Line for Reebok Football?

guest23

Not sure if anyone knows or cares but based on my observations we will not see reebok football after the conclusion of the '11 nfl season...obviously the 1st sign was that nike got the new nfl contract combined with rbk had mentioned to the media that they didn't expect to keep it...the next big factor is that they no longer have a football presence outside of the nfl as an outfitter which gives adidas little incentive to pour money into the brand beyond this season contrary to nike and adidas doubling up on college when they lost the nfl...the last bit of personal evidence is that the 2 times I looked at football cleats this year (eastbay/sports authority) there were no rbk cleats to be found.

at this point it looks pretty clear that adidas is going to put all of its football $$$ against the three stripes and reebok will be relegated back to its roots of ladies'aerobics shoes...this is kind of a bummer as I remember them really hitting the scene hard in the early 90's and giving nike a real run for their money by bringing some design and style into football cleats and scoring some big schools like notre dame and texas...it actually forced nike to start updating its product every season as opposed to the 4 year cycles of marauders and sharks back then but as nike typically does, they stepped up their game and blew right past rbk and left them in the dust.

anyone else have any insight to the plight and future of the reebok brand?

CFL is still Reebok. Don't have any info on contract status.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

It does appear that Reebok is nearing the end of the road for football, they do have the CFL, but I imagine when their contract runs out some other manufacturer will replace them. They do have quite a large presence in hockey though, while Adidas has virtually none, so they will likely always have that.

RS-1.png?t=1312302854Bruins.png?t=1312302924Pats3.png?t=1312302963Cel.png?t=1312303005

Not sure if anyone knows or cares but based on my observations we will not see reebok football after the conclusion of the '11 nfl season...obviously the 1st sign was that nike got the new nfl contract combined with rbk had mentioned to the media that they didn't expect to keep it...the next big factor is that they no longer have a football presence outside of the nfl as an outfitter which gives adidas little incentive to pour money into the brand beyond this season contrary to nike and adidas doubling up on college when they lost the nfl...the last bit of personal evidence is that the 2 times I looked at football cleats this year (eastbay/sports authority) there were no rbk cleats to be found.

at this point it looks pretty clear that adidas is going to put all of its football $$ against the three stripes and reebok will be relegated back to its roots of ladies'aerobics shoes...this is kind of a bummer as I remember them really hitting the scene hard in the early 90's and giving nike a real run for their money by bringing some design and style into football cleats and scoring some big schools like notre dame and texas...it actually forced nike to start updating its product every season as opposed to the 4 year cycles of marauders and sharks back then but as nike typically does, they stepped up their game and blew right past rbk and left them in the dust.

Funny - this increased competition that on the surface seems so great and so American is exactly what lead to a lot of the "crazy" designs and "OMG NIKE YOUR[sic] RUINING ERYTHING[sic]!!" "SCREW RBK THEY RUIN ERYTHING" "UA MUST DIE!!!!" posts that so frequently pollute the boards.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

at this point it looks pretty clear that adidas is going to put all of its football $$ against the three stripes and reebok will be relegated back to its roots of ladies'aerobics shoes...this is kind of a bummer as I remember them really hitting the scene hard in the early 90's and giving nike a real run for their money by bringing some design and style into football cleats and scoring some big schools like notre dame and texas...it actually forced nike to start updating its product every season as opposed to the 4 year cycles of marauders and sharks back then but as nike typically does, they stepped up their game and blew right past rbk and left them in the dust.

Funny - this increased competition that on the surface seems so great and so American is exactly what lead to a lot of the "crazy" designs and "OMG NIKE YOUR[sic] RUINING ERYTHING[sic]!!" "SCREW RBK THEY RUIN ERYTHING" "UA MUST DIE!!!!" posts that so frequently pollute the boards.

well if history serves me right when both nike and reebok got into the uniform business game they played it rather safe and simply slapped their logos on existing russell or champion jerseys...nike then started to branch out into actual redesigns several years later during the drop shadow phase but didn't go over the top until they got their hands on byu and miami

Well Adidas owns reebok which means maybe they will transfer all the reebok football personnel to the adidas football side

if by transfer you mean terminate then I'd agree with your statement...the key term in the corporate world these days is redundancy and when a line of business gets shut down people are rarely reassigned.

bringing some design and style into football cleats and scoring some big schools like notre dame and texas...

Since when has Notre Dame EVER been a Reebok school? I thought they went from being affiliated/outfitted by Champion ( at least the football team) to Adidas.

bringing some design and style into football cleats and scoring some big schools like notre dame and texas...

Since when has Notre Dame EVER been a Reebok school? I thought they went from being affiliated/outfitted by Champion ( at least the football team) to Adidas.

they wore reebok cleats for quite a while in the 90's while champion was the uniform outfitter. before reebok the wore adidas cleats...from what I recall adidas took a football hiatus in the 90's then relaunched with signing nebraska and tennessee

Archived