Augustana College (IL) new logos

WideRight

There is a second Augustana College in South Dakota. They were both part of the same church/school but they split up at some point long long ago (Swedish Lutherans vs. Norwegian Lutherans). Augustana in IL is Swedish, in SD they are the Norwegian branch.

The viking character looks a little overweight, too.

He's overweight because that's what Vikings do, they Rape, Pillage and burn. After all that, you'd be hungry too.

Sitting in the boat all winter, you don't know where your next meal will come from so you tend to eat a lot.

Solid logo, I agree about the wordmark. It's weak. But didn't they just change their logo about 8-9 years ago?

untitled.jpg

Are these their old logos?

41502.jpg

41502-2.png

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

The viking character looks a little overweight, too.

He's overweight because that's what Vikings do, they Rape, Pillage and burn. After all that, you'd be hungry too.

Sitting in the boat all winter, you don't know where your next meal will come from so you tend to eat a lot.

Solid logo, I agree about the wordmark. It's weak. But didn't they just change their logo about 8-9 years ago?

untitled.jpg

Are these their old logos?

41502.jpg

41502-2.png

No, those are the logos of Augustana College in Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

The wordmark is a little forced.
... not feeling the scripts at all.
Wordmarks not so good.
But I'm not a fan of the font choice for the wordmark & AC logo. They would have been better off with a more collegiate type font IMO.
I agree about the wordmark. It's weak.

The wordmark in Augustana College's new athletic branding package is simply an outlined version of the wordmark used by the school as a whole. Clearly, a choice was made to have some component of the athletic department's brand identity tie-in to the school's existing overall identity package, and it was decided that sharing the same wordmark was the most practical way to achieve this goal.

In any event, Augustana's new athletic identity package represents a major upgrade over what they had been using.

Yeah, for the past 4-5 years they had been using a viking ship logo, which was OK in general, but not a great sports logo. Didn't work on uniforms very well. This one will definitely be more visible and marketable.

I suspect the football helmets will remain the traditional Augie script from the 1970's and 1980's when they regularly won national championships and when Ken Anderson played.

Archived