My Church Website

hugevolsfan

I normally spend most of my time in the concepts forum but I wanted to get some feedback on my church's website I created. This was my first time trying to do anything of this sort.

The logo was my creation at the top of the page. I wanted to make the website look professional so let me know what you think.

Here is the link.

Overall, it looks pretty slick. Just not a big fan of the banner at the top. The name of the church and the Bible passage are fighting with each other visually as they look to be about the same font size. I think you need to establish a visual hierarchy, where the most important piece of information ? in this case, the name of the church ? is biggest, and everything else is smaller. I'm not saying get rid of the passage altogether, but just make it smaller so it doesn't compete for attention as much.

Initially I had the scripture smaller then it had a lot of negative space so I made it bigger. The scripture & the name of the church are almost as equally important to me.

The banner is a picture of the inside of the front of our church. I just tweaked a little.

i would cut your cross out, put it to one side, probably the left, and put all text to one side. also, your banner is way to tall, i would try to keep it about 150px to 200px. you might even get by with 250px, but not more than that.

I am actually working on doing that right now I will post a pic to see if everyone like that better.

You'd be better off making your header image the entire width of the of the page and maybe have a padding around it of white. I would also put a different image as your header image, maybe use that beautiful picture of the church if you have it larger. The bricks on bricks, just doesn't look interesting. Pine Ridge Baptist Church should be the largest text and horizontal and use a serif font about 24px. If you want to use the cross and the "It is finished" passage, then you probably should include that in the header image but on the right of the church and blend the two images. Then you should put the quote about 18px and the passage about 14px bold and do both of them in a san-serif font. Remember you have all that space to use in the design for the header, so use as much of it that makes the site look good, especially if you're going to use the image as a header on all pages. I design headers professionally, so it's just not opinion, it's experience that I'm sharing with you.

Β 

Β 

On a non-graphic note--I don't like that to see what you believe I have to download a pdf.

That sort of info should be easy to access and read for anybody interested in your church.

Other than that--surf through a variety of of church sites and see what ones appeal to you & why.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

On a non-graphic note--I don't like that to see what you believe I have to download a pdf.

That sort of info should be easy to access and read for anybody interested in your church.

Other than that--surf through a variety of of church sites and see what ones appeal to you & why.

I agree with you & we will have more of a written out what we believe as time goes on.

I have surfed through a variety of church sites & that is how this much has been done.

We have the 18 articles of faith as a pdf for our members to have easy access to them.

My main focus is to get the messages out there for everyone to listen.

I really appreciate all the comments & critiques.

Here's my church website for comparison (not designed by me)

http://ntbch.ca/

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12,Β POTD 2/26/17

Β 

There will be more pics added to the site I have not completed everything.

It is amazing when you get to working on these things & you think I am done but you not even close.

I will have a complete page about our pastor with pics just have to get his approval.

What's the width of your page? I only ask because really it should be somewhere around 1000px wide. I think that's part of your problem. I do agree with the idea that the pdf is bad. People want knowledge right now and to click on a pdf irratates people to the point they will go right by it. Don't make your user work to get information, your job is to present it to them.

Β 

Β 

What's the width of your page? I only ask because really it should be somewhere around 1000px wide. I think that's part of your problem. I do agree with the idea that the pdf is bad. People want knowledge right now and to click on a pdf irratates people to the point they will go right by it. Don't make your user work to get information, your job is to present it to them.

I had on a default setting I changed to 1000 but did not see a difference on my end. The pdf is a good thing to me because I want people to be able to print off.

Like I said the 18 Articles of Faith is really more for our church members right now & I am going to put something up later in what we believe for the rest of the world.

I appreciate your help.

What you have now is so much better visually wise as the white isn't dominating the page. You may not see a difference in width on your computer, but you have to understand that people with wide width computers the page will fill the screen. When you set a width size, you are making your site consistent across all screens. As far as the pdf, what you should do is list the articles of faith and then at the bottom put a pdf icon where people can download the articles of faith. That's how most sites do it. Of course you can code it to where there's a print version of your page contained within the css.

Β 

Β 

Archived