celtics logo

chakfu

I thought it was interesting in the Bulls thread the Celtics logo was mentioned as unchangeable.

I think with the move to fleetcenter, it was officially changed from the all white and green version to the colored in version. I know the colored in version was around before too, but now it is on center court and is official...

It also seems that the leprechaun logo is being phased out in favor of the faux old school shamrock with the text 'celtics'. I do think that logo is nice, so it's not a travesty to phase out the cartoony leprechaun, but still...

What would you say about a logo that represented a team that was old, with a white guy and being held up by a cane?

"I better go take a long walk off a short pier or something."

Some people on this bolard have told me to do just that.

My "Ron Mexico" alias is "Jon Tobago".

Well since the current "Celtics logo" was around in the past I would officially say that it's a big "change". I think I can speak for the Celtics when I say that they'll always keep that logo as the official logo. They're only using the leprechaun logo just so they can have a secondary logo to fall back on just like everybody else.

utah_jazz_signature_s.jpgdenver_nuggets.gif

Utah Jazz Retired Number's

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

They're only using the leprechaun logo just so they can have a secondary logo to fall back on just like everybody else.

i thout the leprechaun logo was the primary

Opps, I meant the clover logo! Sorry

#1 - Frank Layden - #7 Pete Maravich - #12 John Stockton - #14 Jeff Hornacek - #35 Darrell Griffith - #53 Mark Eaton

Retired Number's To Come

#00 The Bear (Best Mascot In NBA) - #4 Adrian Dantley - #32 Karl "The Mailman" Malone

The Celtics can never get rid of the Leprachuan its too much of a classic logo if they do dump it then they suck. It woudl be like teh Yanks dumping the interlocking NY.

The Leprachuan did change slightly over the years most recently in 1995 when it was colorized, buts its the smae basic idea and that's what's good.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

Here's a quote from the Boston Celtics website on the logo.......

Creation of a Logo

Celtics Lore

? What's in a Name?

? Creation of a Logo

? A Chronology of the Teams in the NBA

The Boston Celtics logo was designed by Red Auerbach's brother, Zang, in the early 1950's. Zang was a creative and artistic man who assembled the familiar leprechaun with the words Boston Celtics arched around it in a circle.

The world-famous figure has his left eye winking at you, his right hand resting on his shillelagh, his right index finger is pointing straight upward with a brown basketball sitting atop, his left foot crossed over and to the side of the right foot, he possesses a big smile (with a pipe projecting from the right corner of his mouth) and he is dressed in black buckle shoes, black pants, a gold front-button vest with a matching bow tie (with green four-leaf clovers displayed prominently in view on both), a long-sleeved white shirt and all topped off with a black derby hat with the same matching four-leaf clovers.

CelticsLogo_History.gif

Retired Number's To Come

Odd.

The image you show doesn't match the description. The description is faulty. It says his right hand is on his shillelagh, but it is his left. It saus the clovers are four leaf, but they are shown as three.

Hmmm. Sometimes web content folks make errors.

NCFA Sunset Beach Tech - Octopi

ΓΔΒ!

Going to college gets you closer to the real world, kind of like climbing a tree gets you closer to the moon.

"...a nice illustration of what you get when skill, talent, and precedent are deducted from 'creativity.' " - James Howard Kunstler

Here's another thing, you'll notice that some of the characters in the "Boston Celtics" text are a little whacked. The text also isn't center in the center green circle. I know it's not a bad logo for being created sometime in the 40's or 50's but that kind of gets to me a little today.

Retired Number's To Come

Archived