Pittsburgh Hornets

jeh-see

My own personal critique is that the first version has entirely too much white space, but I like the effect the sting added to the underlying strokes. But I still think that the second version is visually stronger. I am just looking for you guys' opinions and suggestions.

UniJ

My own personal critique is that the first version has entirely too much white space, but I like the effect the sting added to the underlying strokes. But I still think that the second version is visually stronger. I am just looking for you guys' opinions and suggestions.

UniJ

Agreed. While the sting outline is a neat feature, I'm finding it hard to visualize this as a logo due to the white space. You'd have to shrink it to make it fit visually with a normal logo, such as is used on a TV scoreboard.

Not sure how I feel about the multiple outlines, either. It would seem like the red one in particular would get lost.

It's where I sit.

The second one is much, much better.

Is there any kind of logic with the abdomen stripes? It seems like the perfect opportunity to slip in some symbolism, though I'm not sure what. Perhaps make them look like abstracts of bridges?

I also think that would look pretty epic on a red jersey, no outline needed, let the red outline blend in.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Third version added, taking into consideration some of Sec19Row53's suggestions. As far as the abdomen pattern, I just went off a reference photo of a hornet I found in a Google search. A bridge would be a pretty cool idea, I will see what I can come up with. Remember, though, this is for crkraider22 and he has already laid out very loose ideas of what he was looking for and that may entail placing this on a black jersey, but I will see how he feels after checking out this thread and getting back to me. The red outline was ditched from version 3, anyway. For a secondary/shoulder logo I was thinking about a simple hornet face/head in a circle with "PITTSBURGH HORNETS" around it, a la the Flordia Panthers alternate logo style or something a little more fierce like the Buzzin' Hornets logo, I dunno. Thanks so far guys.

UniJ

Version 4 added with the Pittsburgh bridges as abdominal markings. The bridges represented, in order from top to bottom, are the Sixteenth St. Bridge, the Ft. Duquesne Bridge and one of the "Three Sisters" (Clemente, Warhol or Carson Bridges).

UniJ

I like V2 the best, but I would add the stinger effect that the others have where it breaks out of the bottom of the circle. I just think it adds a bit more "movement" to it.

I dont really care for the bridges at all. Its a great idea but it just doesnt work for me man. It just feels to forced and kinda like they were just thrown on there.

Also I think it would look best on a black jersey with red and yellow accents. Black/yellow/red is my favorite color scheme ever!!

Great work man keep it up!

Looks like you took some inspiration from the Winnipeg Jets here, which was a good idea. v3 is the best of these (the bridges don't work), though I'd make the black part of the stinger extend further down through the yellow circle.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

My other suggestion is to take version three, cut off the yellow bit that runs out the bottom, and make the black stinger go to the edge of the gold circle, then you have a winner. The bridges are cool, but it just wouldn't work.

oBIgzrL.png

hmmm, the bottom bridge looks pretty alright, but the other ones really don't work. they either need to be simplified further (and i don't know if that's possible), or maybe do the three sisters, simply because that bottom one works best.

I think it works the best because its so flat, like a stripe. If you squashed the other bridges to be really thin, that would work too (or shrunk them?)

idk, I still like the idea, but I don't know if the execution is possible. Again, think thin. Maybe you'll come up with the best answer

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

Thanks for the input and I will tinker around with it some more, I always thought version 2 was the best of the bunch anyway. I can always incorporate the bridges into the secondary somehow. My thing with the bridges, the way I have them in version 4, is it looks like a Darth Vader mask if you look closely at the top bridge, totally unplanned, lmao.

Ok these are all really good but I think that v2 is still my favorite.

v5 and v6 are good... but v5 is strange with the stinger stoping the starting again, and v6 looks like it has the longest stinger in the world haha.

Cant wait to see what you come up with for a scondary logo man!

I like where this is going, I think version 2 is the best so far.

Since it IS his logo and he likes the second version, I like the second version and most of you like the second version, it sounds like a winner. I will begin the secondary this afternoon. Thanks for all the input and I will post secondaries as I get them.

UniJ

Archived