Ebbets Field Flannels

lopernv

Didn't know where to put this.

Thinking about ordering a cap and a baseball jersey. Can anyone speak for the quality of their product?

Can't speak to quality but if you are going to order one, they are having a sale right now:

For one week only, take 25% off ($46) of any regularly-priced historic baseball jersey and get a Dec. 24 delivery guarantee! Just order the jersey online (or call 888-896-2936) and use the HF2011 promo code when checking out.

I have three EFF hats (SF Seals, Homestead Grays, and a custom). The quality is incredible and I love the fact that you can dampen them and toss them in the dryer for a couple minutes to shrink them down to your head. Be advised that once you get it 'a little too tall', STOP. It will continue to shrink as it becomes full dry.

Our local high school uses the Red Sox font in an interlocking 'OC'. I sent a large version of our logo to them and they made the cap perfectly!

Great stuff.

201222154_0f633bbfdb_o.png

I can't speak to the quality of their products per se, but I can tell you that not everything they offer are truly "exact reproductions" as they claim. I'm a Rochester Red Wings uniform historian, and I can tell you that there are several issues with their Rochester Red Wings products.

This jersey is purported to be a 1963 Luke Easter road jersey. The style in question was worn 1969-1971 and was never worn by Easter (who played for the Wings 1959-1964). Additionally, when with the Wings, Easter wore #36 (never #29). I do not know where they got any of their info from on this particular jersey. The last thing I'll mention about this jersey is that although the authentic version was indeed made of wool, the letters and numbers were tackle twill (not felt, as in the reproduction).

This jacket is an interesting case as well. I have no reason to believe that the actual jacket from the period (which was introduced in 1946, not 1950) would have had a vertical ball-and-wings logo. Every photo I have ever seen of a similar logo had it mounted in a standard horizontal arrangement.

In the 1990s EFF supplied the Wings with 1960s throwback unis to wear for "Turn back the clock" games. There were numerous small inaccuracies with these as well (I won't go into detail here).

So the moral of the story is to beware... just because the listings claim to be "exact reproductions", don't believe it. Do your own research - they're not infallible when it comes to authenticity.

I've communicated with them as well about correcting these items (at least the Red Wings items about which I've mentioned), and their basic reply was (paraphrased) "We'll fix it if you're going to order something, otherwise we're not going to bother".

On one hand, I can understand it from their point of view - it may not be worthwhile to devote resources to correcting listings for items which may have relatively little demand. On the other hand, if I ran the company, I would certainly want to ensure my listings are correct, especially if I am making a claim about having "exact reproductions".

I wanted to see if my recollection about this was correct, so I reviewed some old emails to see if I could find the exact quote. I didn't want to mis-represent anyone. Here was the quote from Jerry Cohen in May, 2009: "Basically, we know all about the Red Wings corrections, as you are not the first to point them out. If you were to order one of the shirts, we would certainly go by your research. If you are not actually going to order one, it is not a high priority now to correct them, as frankly we sell very, very few, and we do not want to assume the expense of making new samples, photography, etc. Eventually it will be done, but as we make hundreds of different jerseys, we have to choose our priorities on time and cost carefully. Thank you...Jerry Cohen, EFF"

For what it's worth, this didn't leave a bad taste in my mouth. Jerry took the time to respond to all of my emails, and his responses were cordial. I have nothing against EFF and would likely do business with them when the need arises. I just thought it was worthwhile to post his feedback.

Archived